Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stinky doggie - beef to blame?

Myka
March 24th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Long story short...Myka has eaten Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Adult for many years. I changed her to a raw diet that she was on for about 6 weeks when I tossed in the towel because I couldn't find affordable meats in my area. I then put her onto Evo Red Meat Large Bites. She's been on this for about a month.

She is stinky. Mini farts...not full on rank dog farts. Just enough so that the room stinks half the time. She used to sleep on her own bed in my bedroom, but she's been kicked out. She sleeps in the hallway on her bed now! :laughing:

Myka had bad diarrhea when I fed her beef when she was getting raw. The Evo has beef in it as well. She has never had beef in her entire life until recently. I'm wondering if it's the beef in the Evo that is bothering her...? Is it going to take her a long time to get used to it, or does she have allergies? Should I change her to the chicken and turkey Evo?

Kinguni
March 24th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Shabbado was super stinky when we switched here a long while back from Nutro to Orijen, which went away when we switched to Go Natural, and stayed away when we switched back to Orijen. We've been switching her to Evo red meat for the last 10 days or so and at 75% Evo she's not stinky at all. However, she's developed really nasty eye boogers now and I've seen complaints about this elsewhere with Evo, so I think we're going to go back to Go Natural. Of what she's been fed in her time with us I think she did best on. Time will tell.

On topic, I think you need to give it at least 6 weeks to judge the new food. Watch that you aren't feeding too much as well.

TeriM
March 25th, 2008, 12:15 AM
EVO is a great food but it does seem as though a lot of dogs have very bad gas with it. You could try adding digestive enzymes and seeing if that helps or even try just a bit of plain yogurt. If it doesn't clear up in a few weeks then I would definately consider switching foods.

Other signs to look for re: allergic reaction would be dirty and/or inflamed ears and constant licking off legs and paws. Excessive panting could also show that the food is difficult for her to digest and is making her uncomfortable.

Good luck.

If you can get EVO you can probably also get regular Innova or California Naturals both of which are good choices. Orijen is also a very popular grain free food.

mika140
March 25th, 2008, 08:47 PM
I think it also has something to do with the fat percentage. If you compare it to others, the fat in EVO is higher in general. Some dogs adjust with no problem and do fine on it; others like mine tend to get gas with the higher fat. If your dogs were on a grain-inclusive kibble before EVO, I'd give it even longer for adjustment. My 10 yr old dog is on about her fourth bag of Orijen (she was on a grain inclusive kibble before) and is just now really settling in. I think it just takes more time depending on how much you upgrade the food. And going from Nutro to EVO is a big switch. If it doesn't work out after another month or so, you might look at a kibble with a little lower fat, maybe a little less rich.

rainbow
March 26th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Myka had bad diarrhea when I fed her beef when she was getting raw. The Evo has beef in it as well. She has never had beef in her entire life until recently. I'm wondering if it's the beef in the Evo that is bothering her...?

Why don't you try the regular EVO since it is chicken based?

Also, like TeriM, I have heard lots of dogs get horrendous farts and/or diarrhea on EVO. In that case I sould try Orijen....my boys have been on it for a year and are doing great. :thumbs up

geisha
March 27th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Some dogs, for example my 2 develop diarrhea and farts when I feed them too much. How much are you feeding? The recommendations on the bag are generally too much.
Good luck.:clown:

Myka
March 28th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the help everyone! If she hasn't improved by the end of this bag (about 20lbs to go) then I'll check into other brands, or formulas.

She is eating 1 1/2 cups in the morning and 3/4 cup in the evening. :)

Myka
May 20th, 2008, 09:52 PM
So I changed Myka to California Naturals Lamb & Rice. She has been on it for about 4 weeks, and she still stinks!!! She doesn't fart as much as she did when she was on Evo, but this is ridiculous! She did better on Nutro's than she has on any of these "Ultra Premium" foods... :wall:

On the next bag I'm going to try either Orijen or Wellness, I haven't decided yet. :shrug: