Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Update on Tova - Long post

Harley's_Mom
March 24th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Hope everyone had a great Easter!
Thought I'd bring everyone up to speed on how our first weekend with our new furbaby went. Tova has definitely shown herself to be a smart pup. She responds well to her name, she comes right away when she's called as long as she's not playing with Harley. Then it's a matter of clapping our hands to get her attention. The housebreaking is going well. A few accidents in the house but that's our fault for not paying attention. Tova will whine when she needs to go out but she won't always go to the back door so we really have to pay attention. Harley has been a huge help in the training process. He loves his new "little sister"....lol. Crate training has been a slow process but we're making progress each day, just a matter of patience. She's getting used to it now. We made the decision that Tova will not be a couch dog, based on the fact that she will be huge when full grown. She doesn't like to hang out in the living room, preferring the dining room or kitchen so she's made that easy for us. She's certainly a mellow little thing, especially compared to Harley who has endless amounts of energy. A good romp outside with Harley and Tova's ready for a nice long nap.:sleepy:
The whole family is really enjoying the new pup and she's made a wonderful addition to our family! :cloud9:

clm
March 24th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Newfs are notorious for not handling heat well. I think you'll find she'll be more of a bare floor to sleep kind of dog anyway. Your beds and couch should be safe other than the odd jump up to say high or for a quick cuddle.

I bet she'd love a kiddie pool to cool off in in summer.

I'm glad she's settling in so well. Her nice mellow temperment reminds me of my first dog. Freddie was like that as a puppy :cloud9:

Cindy

TeriM
March 24th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Ummm, I'm glad things are going well but I'm sure you must have taken lots of pics this weekend ;).

SARAH
March 24th, 2008, 08:34 PM
LOL, my brother had two newfies, both females. The first one, Loupiotte, was the most dominant dog on the planet (not kidding), no matter what other dog came near her, she'd flatten it under her front paws! They tried breeding her a couple of times, but the poor male newfie was flattened - not the ideal position for mating :D

Anyway, that's not what I was going to say :laughing:

Mom would sometimes take Loupi for a walk and was a little nervous the first few times ... mom being a small lady and the dog more than twice her size and weight, she was worried that she'd be pulled off her feet. Yeah right!

Going was fine, Loupi would plod along like the big bear she was, calm and well behaved. After 15-20 minutes, she would drop a little behind mom; who turned around to go back. 10 minutes later, mom had to - literally - d-r-a-g the big dog, she didn't want to walk any more.

Well, she didn't get too many walks as a result of that :rolleyes: who can drag a hu-u-ge newfie along a country road!?

Harley's_Mom
March 24th, 2008, 09:03 PM
OMG Sarah I can so see Tova being like that....LOL. This puppy is so unmotivated to move that twice when we took her out to pee today, she peed laying down!! ROFL My hubby and I were so stunned that we just looked at each other in disbelief. She got a burst of energy a short while ago which consisted of stumbling around the livingroom for about 10 minutes and is now so exhausted that she's passed out by the back door. Her and Harley(who is totally high energy) will play out in the backyard for 15 minutes or so and Tova will require a two hour nap afterwards.
I do have more pics. Just haven't loaded them onto the computer yet. As soon as I get time I'll post them in the Photo section.

Kristin7
March 25th, 2008, 08:18 AM
:laughing: omg, she peed laying down?!

this reminds me of when Guinness was a puppy. I would take him for walks and he would get tired and lay down in someone's yard. Luckily I never had to carry him home. I thought something was wrong with him but turns out he is just a medium energy dog and probably was just getting puppy-tired.