Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog keeps biting my hands and arms

shepherdpuppy
March 24th, 2008, 02:13 PM
My 5 month old German shepherd bites me every time I play with him. I know he is just playing with me, but he's getting older and it is starting to hurt. He has never broken skins, but has bruised my arms because of how strong he is. I want to stop this behavior, and I have tried everything. I very sternly tell him NO or NO BITING. I've also tried giving him a toy to distract him, or even ignoring him. If I turn around to ignore him he will just come around and find my hands (or feet) again. Any suggestions?

LavenderRott
March 24th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Any of the things you have done should work if done each and every time your pup plays in an inappropriate manner (puts teeth on you) but it needs to be very consistant and it takes lots of time.

I would also suggest that you find a decent trainer and take a class. You will be amazed at the difference it will make both in your dog's behaviour and in the way you interact with your dog.

bobsdad
March 26th, 2008, 02:01 PM
You need to set dominance now before he gets bigger. He's just playing but he's also testing his boundaries. I read some books before getting Bob and one tip that I've always used is the over emphasizing. Basically when Bob did something wrong I would just lose it and scream and wave my hands like a mad man. Bob was shell shocked but he never repeated.

Since I don't believe in hitting this worked for me. Make a scene and make it last. Bob used to bite my hands also, he's teething it's normal, so one day I just did a hoopla scene and since then if I don't initiate play he won't start. Also I taught him a stop word which makes him close his mouth IMMEDIATELY. Very important.

P.S. For good laughs I would scream out nonsense, he doesn't actually understand the words. All he gets is the arms flaying and the tone and how loud your yelling. As he was reaching his adulthood he tried once to hump my leg. I made such a stink that he's never humped anything ever again in the house :)

Amee
March 26th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Roxy likes to bite hands and feet too but she is getting a lot better. We yelp or yell really loudly and then we turn around and ignore her for a couple minutes, if she barks at us for ignoring her we leave the room all together. It's been working really well for us.

pbpatti
March 26th, 2008, 03:48 PM
My Choc Lab Sasha, was a biter as a pup, I used to have bruises all over my arms, she quit biting and started pinching, not sure which hurt the worst:sad:. I have been successful with putting my fingers/hand in her mouth and as far back to provoke a gag reflex, she really does not like this I only had to do it a couple of times and she got the hint. don't bite. pbp

Elizabeth Ann
March 26th, 2008, 04:32 PM
My Shih Tzu bites me too. Mainly only when he wants something. It's like his version of taking me by the ear and dragging me some where.

He also barks at me like he is saying "get me some food B*tch", or "Take me outside or you will regret it". I should really look into how to get him to stop.

That dogs walks all over me.