Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New pup/existing kitty...where to put the crate?

BPR
March 24th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Hi everyone,
My husband and I are planning to get a puppy this summer - a yellow lab! We've already picked a breeder and are getting very excited. I'm already trying to figure out where to put the crate. I've read that it's good to put it in our bedroom, so the pup can bond with us while we are asleep.

We also have a 5 year old kitty who already sleeps in our bedroom (even during the day). I've read kitty needs a "safe place" to go to get away from a new puppy. To me, this could be our bedroom since she already sleeps there all the time anyway.

I guess what I'm asking is where do you put your crate? Could it go somewhere besides our bedroom? Should we make another room in the house kitty's safe room and try our luck at night with the puppy in her crate and the cat free to come and go when/if she pleases? Do you think they'll get used to each other in the same room?

Maybe my worrying is unnecessary, but I'm hoping to make things as smooth as possible...Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! :)

Thanks!

Harley's_Mom
March 24th, 2008, 12:39 PM
A new puppy....that's always so exciting! I have two dogs and a cat. When we got our first puppy last year we had the exact same dilemma as you. We put Harley (puppy) in his crate in our room at night and closed the door which forced our cat Yum Yum to find a new space of his own. He decided to "move in" with our oldest son. You will definitely want to have your puppy with you at night. Eventually we moved Harley's crate back downstairs and he's fine at night but we just got another puppy and she's crated in our room at night. You'll get a better idea of what to do once you have your puppy. He/She might get along just fine with the cat and you won't need to separate them. I wouldn't worry about it too much. When the time comes you'll figure out the solution that best suits everyone.

LavenderRott
March 24th, 2008, 01:08 PM
My cat's safe room is my walk-in closet. I have a gate up in the doorway and her food is in there.

The reason for crating in your room is, IMHO, less for bonding purposes and more for SILENCE. You pup is much more likely to be quiet at night if he/she is sleeping in the same room as the rest of the pack. If your pup is safely crated, there is no reason why your cat can't sleep in the room also.

jessi76
March 24th, 2008, 07:43 PM
when i brought my dog home we had 2 full grown cats already in the house. we have a 2 level house - bedrooms upstairs. We put one crate in the kitchen for daytime use, and a second crate in our bedroom for night use. (our pup wasn't crated round the clock as that might of sounded, only when not supervised and at night)

we put a baby gate between the kitchen & dining room and kept the cats food on a cart - up off the floor. using the gate we were able to give the cats one part of the house to "escape" the pup. we put their litter boxes in the laundry room (has a door) and cut a hole in the door for kitty access only. this way the pup couldn't bother them or get into the litter.

having 2 crates in a two level house was a GREAT investment. I got the large one for the day use for cheap - bought it 2nd hand in GREAT condition. and the one for the bedroom, we got another wire crate, but we got a collapsable travel version so that if we ever need to travel with the dog, we have a suitable crate.

our cats adjusted quickly - they were able to "check out" the pup without being chased to high heaven when he was in his crate. they even teased and batted at him through the wire a few times. now the dog is 3, and he snuggles WITH the cats IN the crate. lol. in fact, the cats are in the crate more often than the dog. we joke and call it the kitty-kennel.