Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hello!

Charlot
March 23rd, 2008, 04:47 PM
Hi everybody!

I'm new here, and I joined because my partner and I will be adopting a three-year-old chocolate lab in about two weeks. He is fixed, very well behaved, smart, and has been through obedience training (although when he was a puppy). He's completly housebroken and great with people.

We've both been around dogs all our lives but haven't owned one in years. We also have three cats, and we know everyone will get along well after an initial hissy/attitude period, but we're wondering if anyone has any stellar advice to make the adjustment a little smoother for everyone.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

hazelrunpack
March 23rd, 2008, 05:17 PM
No advice (no cats here...we're overrun with dogs), but I did want to welcome you to the board, Charlot! As soon as you get your newcomer, we will insist on pictures, so I hope your camera is ready! :D

russte
March 23rd, 2008, 05:36 PM
:D I welcome you too, this is a great site and everyone here offers great advice and will help when they can!:grouphug:

14+kitties
March 23rd, 2008, 05:44 PM
Welcome Charlot. Make sure you visit lots. :D
My only advise is patience. Currently I have 6 cats in the house and 2 dogs. That alternates depending on who has been fixed and who is going in to be fixed or who is in need of extra loving......

Up until recently (2 weeks ago) my toy poodle wasn't having anything to do with ANY other animals in her house. We use a baby gate separating the living room from the rest of the house. She is in the living room most of the time with us. I finally said this is silly (after listening to her bark every time one came near the gate) and lifted her over. Surprise, suprise..... she was fine! I still keep an eye on her while she is with the others but there hasn't been any problems so far. So my best advise....patience and a baby gate.