Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

For those of us craving colour - a teaser

14+kitties
March 23rd, 2008, 03:41 PM
My geranium table and my two little buddies I started from my own seed.

pbpatti
March 23rd, 2008, 03:48 PM
Wow, how pretty they are. How did you get them to grow from seed? I tried this spring with a couple of different plants and they got mold and crashed..thanks for the hint of Spring. pbp

CearaQC
March 23rd, 2008, 04:03 PM
Nice!! Very pretty. Wish I could see more pictures though, and bigger ones! lol

What all do you grow and sell? Have a website? Or just sell to locals?

I can't grow any Lillium from seed either. :shrug: So I just concentrate on cloning via bulb scales. Those are a nice red/orange almost salmon color. Do you have any Lillium canadense?

I can cold stratify iris and get them to germinate no problem. But lily seeds are just too darn hard. Either that or any seed I've tried has been a dud.

I have a plastic window box full of baby mesclun lettuce growing. yum! But not quite ready to start eating yet.

14+kitties
March 23rd, 2008, 04:46 PM
A little closer pic and bigger (I hope). At this moment everything else is still seedling stage.

The lillium I just left until the seed pods were absolutely dried out. Totally ignored them (watched pot doesn't boil theory). I only let one plant go to seed. I will have to do more this year. It takes 2 years to get them to this point though. First year you get green but not much more unless you are extremely lucky. No lillium canadense.
No web site. I just sell locally. If I had more greenhouses I could sell elsewhere but the idea of me doing this was so I could stay home and be my own boss. I have about 2500 square feet which is a lot for one person to manage but not enough to grow tons of stuff.
I do perennials, the normal annuals, usually one or two unusual plants, and tomatoes and peppers. It keeps me hopping.
Patti - there is a product called Damp Off which helps with that. Also don't overwater. Seedlings really do not need a lot of water. I usually just mist a couple of times a day when they are tiny. Damp Off is toxic though. I use a mask when I mix it.