Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

poll: what the best vacuum cleaner for pet hair?

akayladog
March 23rd, 2008, 11:45 AM
just going to poll the audience, and see what the best vacuum cleaner is the best for pet hair?

sugarcatmom
March 23rd, 2008, 12:09 PM
If you can spend the money, a Dyson (http://www.english.dysoncanada.ca/store/helpmechoose.asp) Animal.

krdahmer
March 23rd, 2008, 01:05 PM
I believe probably the Dyson when it comes to uprights.... although imagine there is nothing better than a central vac, as there are no bags or canisters in the house and therefore less dust and hair etc spewed back out.

want4rain
March 23rd, 2008, 01:05 PM
i dont know BUT i can say what i would really like to change or keep about the one we have (which is an inexpensive Bissel)-

i love the HEPA filter. buy replacements and replace ever month or two.

its bagless which is a biggie for me. makes it nice and handy to dump the hair out for the deer (of which may or may not work!!) to keep them away from my gardens. :)

id like a longer extension. when (if) i buy a new vacuum, one criteria i *must* have is the ability to buy one more extender for the hand held part.

my next vacuum will also have an extension that has the spinney thing on the end of it. i have to LIFT my vacuum up the stairs to vacuum the hair off the carpeted stairs. yuck!

its kinda big. even for an upright.

uh.... thats it. i think im done whining about my vacuum. its actually really great for a $70 vacuum. :D

-ashley

rainbow
March 23rd, 2008, 01:18 PM
I have heard good things about the Dyson as well. It will likely be my next vacuum.

russte
March 23rd, 2008, 01:29 PM
I have a Dyson which I Love, Love it, it is a little pricey but it is worth every penny!

happycats
March 23rd, 2008, 02:57 PM
I would think Dyson.....they also have a canister vac as well as an upright.

It wounld also depend on flooring, do you lots of carpet, or mostly hardwood/laminate.

SARAH
March 23rd, 2008, 03:03 PM
I'm happy with the cetral vac we have, except that ...

the hairs clog the top of the canister before it's even 1/4 full of dust

the nozzle has a too-sharp angle between the actual mouth piece and the hose so that I keep having to lift it and hand-feed the fur-balls into it

nothing works on the carpet - I had one of those power nozzles that turn a brush inside it to lift and pick up the hair? Well, sorry who-ever made that thing, when too much pet-hair gets in there, the thing stops swivelling and nothing gets picked up at all! We took it apart, opened it and cleaned it, put iot back together, it worked - for 5 minutes, before being all stuck full of hair again.

IMO, it's not so much the suction power, as the nozzle design; and I'm still looking for one that has a more open angle to it.

Frenchy
March 23rd, 2008, 03:08 PM
(which is an inexpensive Bissel)-

its actually really great for a $70 vacuum. :D

-ashley

I have the same. Although after 3 years of abuse :laughing: it's a real work out for me everytime I vacuum , one wheel is missing (it broke) it doesn't stay in the upright position anymore (it broke) and if I use the brush for the couch and stuff , I have to move the vacuum because when it stays at the same spot , it burns the carpet. Hum .... maybe I need a new one ? :laughing:

luckypenny
March 23rd, 2008, 03:08 PM
We put in an expensive brand spanking new Electrolux central vac last Spring and there's nothing to rave about at all :frustrated: . Other than not having to lug around a heavy vacuum, I can't brag about it. The hose is about 20 feet long and awkward to hang up when done using it. And the sponge filter and canister.....:yuck: . You need two filters so when one's all dirty and disgusting (doesn't even take a month with 3 dogs), you have to put in the other one in order to vacuum the dirty one :rolleyes:. Then you have to wash it with warm soapy water and it takes forever to dry. The humongous canister doesn't have a bag so you have to flip it over into a large garbage bag....preferably outdoors so you're not choking on the dust.

Had I of known it would have been more trouble than it was worth, I would have spent the extra 100 bucks to repair my regular ancient Electrolux vacuum :rolleyes: .

onster
March 23rd, 2008, 03:11 PM
we just had a salesman come to our house trying to sell us a rainbow vaccum, with built in hepa filter. It uses water instead of a bag or canister (we have a central currently but its not too good at cat hair)

It is certaintly powerful and you can turn it on without the vaccum bit where it just acts as an air filiter....but it was almost 3000 dollars..yes three thousand..ummmm I think not. :eek:

http://www.rainbowsystem.com/main/

we rented it for a day ( it was in my my hazel helping mommy pics) and...to be honest it did help me sleep better :thumbs up I let it run in my room for an hour or so before I slept....but still 3,000!!!!!!!

hazelrunpack
March 23rd, 2008, 04:47 PM
We have an old (~22 years old) 4.5 HP Eureka cannister--so old that much of it is still made of metal. It's irreplaceable, since they've since started making them of plastic and they don't last nearly as long. With the beater-bar brush and the wand, I can (and do, of necessity) easily clean up the worst hairball problems...even on carpets! :D (But you can't have it...it's hazel's :o)

kashtin's kin
March 24th, 2008, 01:53 AM
Those Dysons do sound great (drool) but for now I'll keep on squeezing every day I can get out of my hand-me-down Filter Queen senior citizen machine. Our best move was replacing carpet with wood laminate flooring...all except for one small room. It wasn't hair removal that was the issue so much as a few years worth of 'sick-up' from 7 different indoor cats. Ick!! I loff :lovestruck: my laminate!!

Ford Girl
April 17th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I have the one step up Bissel, cost $125, love it, I use it each week and it collects a huge container each week, LOVE IT! And if it only last a few years, it's worth the $125. (I've had mine 3) Easy to clean, easy to find replacement filters - altho I wash mine every 2 months. It's light to carry and never clogs - even with xmas tree needels. :thumbs up

Frenchy
April 17th, 2008, 12:52 PM
You know you've become an adult and house owner when you drool while watching a Dyson commercial :p

I've seen them lately , omg :cloud9:

mastifflover
April 17th, 2008, 01:01 PM
The Dyson Animal rocks. Not cheap by any means but worth it. This thing sucks up tons of pet hair and does not clog up. I suffered with my crumby one for 2 years and then I got my animal and now I do not mind vaccuming

rainbow
April 17th, 2008, 03:07 PM
We have an old (~22 years old) 4.5 HP Eureka cannister--so old that much of it is still made of metal. It's irreplaceable, since they've since started making them of plastic and they don't last nearly as long. With the beater-bar brush and the wand, I can (and do, of necessity) easily clean up the worst hairball problems...even on carpets! :D (But you can't have it...it's hazel's :o)

:eek: :eek: :eek:

A 22 yr old Eureka....that must be some kind of record !!!! Maybe would even qualify for the Guinness Book of Records. :laughing:

Elizabeth Ann
April 17th, 2008, 04:01 PM
When growing up we had a Filter queen (we breed Old English Sheep dogs). Since Vacuuming was my responsiblity I can say that it's the best vacuum I have ever used.

The other half and I just purchase a Bissel about a year ago and I hate it. It's always getting Clogged up... I HATE IT.

I wanted the Dyson but TOH didn't want to spend the money. So now I make him to the vacuuming.

On our hard work I use a broom type vacuum then I use a swiffer, then I use the wet swiffer. That seem to do the trick for about an hour. Darn dogs will all that hair.....

want4rain
April 17th, 2008, 10:52 PM
we had that Bissel and it broke. we figured we would preemptively spend part of this 'economic stimulus package' on a nice vacuum. toyed around with the Dyson but consumer reports said a Kenmore was better. i tried out the Dyson and really liked it but hesitated to spend that kind of money. the Kenmore scored better and was $200-$300 less expensive.

i have to say... im so extremely happy we got the Kenmore. this thing is just amazing!! its a Kenmore Progressive Upright Vacuum with Inteli-Clean System -- Model #35922. it took over 4 hours to get my living room carpeting clean to where the sensor gave us the green. ive played aroudn with it (cause im a nerd like that) and a little sand, baking soda, gobs of pet hair... it was really interesting to see how well the attachments worked, the Inteli Clean System, the variable speeds, sand scatter, hair scatter.... im unquestionably impressed. my next project is to see how it picks stuff up before i shampoo the carpet.

i have to say, i can tell exactly where the previous owners kids took off their sandy shoes 6 years ago!!!

-ashley

the gang
November 21st, 2008, 07:45 PM
my 2 cents, have used the dyson many times and i hate it, as far as my 2 cents go way to expensive for what it as, i love my central vac, use it every day, brenda and the pins..

Tundra_Queen
November 21st, 2008, 07:55 PM
I am on my 3rd vaccum in the last two weeks. The first one I got was the Kenmore Progressive Upright Vacuum. Too heavy and my old BOSS vaccumn cleaned up better. The knemore wouldn't even clean up the carpet powder that I sprinkle on the carpets!

The next one was an Eureka,EZ CLEAN BAGLESS. It was on sale for 90 bucks, but the pet hair clogged the top of the dust cup and the dust cup was hard to open up with my arthritic hands, so back to the store it went.

Yesterday I picked up another Kenmore canister with motorized power head. Funky green colour. It seemed to do a good job and wasn't too heavy to push around. I don't know if it's as good as a Dyson, but so far so good. I've only used it once so far though. :)

Debbie

K9 Love
November 21st, 2008, 09:29 PM
I needed a vacuum right away, we had just recently moved into a new house with a lot of carpet and it would've taken months for the Dyson to be ordered in so we took the next best thing which was a Bissel, I believe it's called the "revolution", it has dog right on the vaccum, and a "special attachment piece" for vacuumin furniture and removing hair.

http://canada.bissell.com/Products/p/lift-off_pet/product.aspx

I'm pretty pleased with it. I vacuum daily with two dogs and three cats, and it picks up hair that I can't see, and a lot of it. I don't use the canister as the hose is so short and it's hard to manage though. I have a cheap canister vacuum that I use for the furniture and hardwood floors.

For a medium-high priced, a step or two below the Dyson, I'm happy with it. But the Dyson will be my next vacuum.

mollywog
November 22nd, 2008, 09:47 AM
I am surprised at how many people here have a Dyson! They sure do seem to be the best of the best!
We have the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser (http://www.bissell.com/Products/c/UprightVacuum/p/3920/product.aspx?MSCSProfile=2EB09F17E7A640E9CB747DEC0 4C54923FA3E2DDE8FB82BA23E2105478129B684E09713808BA 8186EFA6F6C3B848697BF6D192BF59EB294FB16766D6BAFE8B CD96CC130E8584E811948B5DC9489F18CCED6C506714BE41C9 1D8DDC86D12FA12DDD05883B7E3CF761A0AA104AFF9117948D 95DC0B3C9419F26770042226E61AFB04EB6DA449BBCAE65), and are quite happy with it. Since it's an upright, I think its more geared towards carpets, but it has some great rubbery tools that are designed to pick up pet hair from couches etc. I love that feature. It also is bagless and has a HEPA filter.

Doggy100
March 20th, 2010, 12:58 PM
The top vacuums as rated by users are the Dyson DC25 Animal and Dyson DC28 Animal. Both of these are rated 4.6 of 5 stars by hundreds of users. (See Google (http://www.google.com/products))

The downside is that these vacuums cost around $500, which is way beyond what many of us are willing to pay for a vacuum.

A good lower cost option is the Eureka Optima Pet Lover and Bissell Pet Hair Eraser. They're rated about 4 stars by many users and cost about $80-$150 on Amazon.

Dali77
April 1st, 2010, 11:56 PM
I'm still leary about Dyson.
That said, we bought a $40 Dirt Devil with no attachments as a second vaccuum for quick cleanups.
Initially, it worked TEN times better than our old bagged Dirt Devil with Swivelguide. Seeing what it picked up in the clear bin was amazing. The pet hairs it picked up were astronomical.
However, the Filters are $10 each, and they last nowhere NEAR the 6 months they recommend. The suction quickly fades after 2 weeks of use, and we constantly 'bang' out the debris clogging the filter after every use. After two months, probably even could be at the end of One month, we have to change it. $60 to $120 a year in filters just isn't worth it. Don't be lured by cheap vacs. They might work well, but there's a reason they're cheap... the filters are a small fortune.
We too are looking now for a good vac, with stair attachments (preferably a motorized stair and upholstery brush tool) that doesn't cost as much as a dyson. Any suggestions?

luckypenny
April 2nd, 2010, 12:51 AM
The Dyson canister is a great vacuum....if the freaking hose didn't stop splitting open :yell:. 5 Year warranty so you can get it replaced all the time. But why don't they just make a better quality hose for the price :frustrated:.

Guess we'll be in the market for another vacuum in 3 years when the warranty is up :rolleyes:.

Skyblue
April 2nd, 2010, 06:02 PM
Definitely Dyson for me.

Etown_Chick
April 2nd, 2010, 08:44 PM
I have a Filter Queen. Expensive but worth every penny, esp as one with asthma/allergies. Sucks up pet hair like crazy.

nljnky
April 3rd, 2010, 06:56 AM
Love my dyson animal.

mummummum
April 3rd, 2010, 11:32 AM
We have an old (~22 years old) 4.5 HP Eureka cannister--so old that much of it is still made of metal. It's irreplaceable, since they've since started making them of plastic and they don't last nearly as long. ... (But you can't have it...it's hazel's :o)

I can sooooooooooo relate to this. My panasonic was 19 and still going ...just not well enuf for the 3 beasties. :( when I decided to replace it. I SHOULD have spent the $$$ for a Dyson but...there's just something about forking out 800 bucks that sticks in my craw. I'd never used a bagless before and am still not sold on their efficacy. Instead I bought a Hoover Windtunnel when it was 1/2 price figuring for 100 $ it's worth a try. Meh... I'd take my old Panasonic in a heartbeat.

One of my guypals has the Dyson "ball" style and loves it fas it makes maneuvering around his apt. so much easier. Another friend owns a cleaning service and wouldn't buy anything BUT Dyson. He tells me that the canister models are clumsy and fairly useless though.

luvsmallfurries
April 3rd, 2010, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack
We have an old (~22 years old) 4.5 HP Eureka cannister--so old that much of it is still made of metal. It's irreplaceable, since they've since started making them of plastic and they don't last nearly as long. With the beater-bar brush and the wand, I can (and do, of necessity) easily clean up the worst hairball problems...even on carpets! (But you can't have it...it's hazel's )

:eek: :eek: :eek:

A 22 yr old Eureka....that must be some kind of record !!!! Maybe would even qualify for the Guinness Book of Records. :laughing:

Got you beat.....I have a 30 year+ old Kenmore :eek:! t may be older than that even. The mother-in-law I got it from has passed on and none of her kids can recall exactly when it showed up. They are all over 50 now so assuming it showed up new when they were all still living at home.....we're going with at LEAST 30 years old. I've put more money into repairing this thing than I'd ever put into a new one. It does a superb job with the cat and rabbit hair and the feathers from the parrot - not to mention the assorted seeds, rabbit pellets (the edible ones and the ones that result from the edible ones:laughing:), bits of hay that get stuck in the carpet, etc. I know it can't last forever but as long as the friendly neighbourhood Mr. Fixit can keep it running for us....... :thumbs up

kungfuMao
April 3rd, 2010, 03:05 PM
we've had a dyson for nearly 2 years now, the basic ball model.
we really like it! we've not had any problems with anything breaking, though we live in a small 725sf condo. it is possible that it may not be as hardy if used in a large space on a regular basis... i don't know! since we've had the felines, we've been impressed with how much hair it picks up. with the vacuum and the dryer constantly filtering cat hair, i think our home looks pretty good considering we have two energetic young cats :D

alang
April 10th, 2010, 05:34 AM
Dysons seem to be pretty popular when it comes to picking up pet hair. I think it may be related to the fact that they have no bag, strong suction and a good brushbar (maybe?). This article agrees that the Dyson is the best for vacuuming up pet hair:

In particular they like the Dyson DC25 Animal but we have had a DC15 Animal for years and it works great too. I also note that there is a good handheld vacuum for picking up pet hair - the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Hand Vac. It appears to be cheap and it works. Never tried it but they say it is very good.

Veesmart
April 12th, 2010, 04:15 PM
100% a Dyson!!!

We have the smallest upright one and it makes our apartment look like we don't have a zoo living in it. Plus, it is so compact it fits in the closet and takes up less space than my winter coat. They are pricey but definitely worth it.

The warranty is 10 years long, inlcuded in the price and if there are ANY problems with the machine they will come to you to fix it. If they can't service it they will give you a new one.

Don't be fooled by the "animal" version, its the same vacuum just comes with more attachments which you may or may not need.

Smiley14
April 12th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Another Dyson Animal fan here. Mine is 8-9 years old and still going strong! I have NEVER had a vaccuum, from the cheapy to the insanely expensive, last this long before getting completely clogged with pet hair and dying on me. I used to go through a new vaccuum every 6 months.

Stefx
May 9th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Hi
Quick question,
The DC31 Dyson comes in two versions at Future Shop... normal and "animal".
I see that the animal version has a brush accessory for carpets.
We have a combination of hard wood and carpets. does the DC31 "only" come with the rotating brush accessory, or does it also come with a regular "no brush" nozzle?
Thanks

***Edit: I ended up buying the DC31 Animal. Here's some feedback...
great tool for picking up pet hair (we have two cats and a black lab)
The DC31 Animal comes with the motorized brush, a crevisse and a combination accessory (I'm using the terminology from Dyson here: http://www.english.dysoncanada.ca/store/parts.asp?product=DC31-ANIMAL)

One annoying thing is that the blown hair from the DC31 can blow away whatever you're trying to pick up. For stairs, it seems to work best to work your way down, as the air seems to be blown a little bit upwards and slightly forward.
I looked for an extension hose accessory, but the US Dyson site is out of stock, and the Canadian Dyson site doesn't even list that accessory. Sticking the combination brush on an extension hose would solve the blown air issue.

Highly recommended. Although pricey, it beats having to use the large vacuum cleaner.

sarma
December 15th, 2010, 12:35 PM
My Bissell upright died recently, after some 8 years of service, and with Christmas, it is a very bad timing to invest in Dyson. I was super happy with Bissell, although heavy and falling over when the hose was used to clean furniture, it really did a good job. I planned to get Bissell canister, but didn't find one good comment about it when it comes to pet hair and having three long-haired cats, I have to make sure it cleans.
Waiting for Christmas bonus to see if I'll go with Dyson or with Bissell again.

Masha
December 15th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I love our dyson its so powerfull and no bags to mess around with

nljnky
December 15th, 2010, 07:54 PM
I bought a refurbished dyson animal on overstock.com. It looks and performs like brand new and I saved a couple hundred dollars.
That may be a more affordable way for you to go.:thumbs up

luckypenny
December 15th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Glad this thread was revived. After the hose of our canister Dyson split, and having it replaced twice, the third time we received a new one that was made with different quality materials. We haven't had problems with it since :thumbs up.

Koteburo
December 16th, 2010, 05:43 AM
Interesting thread and I'm almost sure those Dyson must be good however I'm not willing to spend 500 dollars on a vacuum cleaner >.< even if I had them right now.

I like balance in between functionality and price ;)

How about Electrolux I know they have good quality maybe not as expensive as dyson.