Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Drop it and Leave it.....

Rottielover
March 23rd, 2008, 07:48 AM
I thought Harley was really solid with these commands..I mean really solid...
Well this morning someone left a garbage bag out and I guess a raccoon or something opened it.
Well to my surprise Harley jumped at something on the ground, I told him to Drop it, he ignored me, I went to him, noticed it was a huge bone of some sort. He would not drop, just tried chewing faster, so I took his collar and started choking him, hoping he would release it. NO he did not. So I took a huge chance and forced open his mouth. Harley is VERY protective of real bones. I got a huge chunk out, and he swallowed the rest.....No my question is, even with all the training, all the effort will instict of dog behaviour always win out ???

Winston
March 23rd, 2008, 07:54 AM
Rottielover you know Winston is awesome at this command too! But there is those few occasions where whatever it is it wins him over! Too much temptation or something! I worry cause if he eats is you never know if it will make him sick! You could try setting Harley up? Putting a bone around and see if he listens to you when you tell him too release it! I did this also with Winston a number of years ago at X-mas when I was baking! he stole a cookie off the counter so I set him up and when I caught him in the act it really startled him! he still looks over the counter but doesn't touch!

Bye the way Harley seems so much in his element with your new girl around! She sure sounds like she will make someone very happy!

Cindy

poodletalk
March 23rd, 2008, 07:56 AM
Maggie my dog is understands "Drop it" very well, but one day she found a dead squirrel and decided it was her treat for the day. (I know very gross)

I told her to drop it, no way she should...I told her again, she continued to chomp, I thought I was going to throw up. I could have opened up her mouth, but I didn't want to touch the thing. I did the only thing I could have done, I slapped her on her rump which surprised her and she dropped it.

For Maggie, she will drop it if she doesn't care what she finds. If she finds something she likes, we have a hard time getting her to drop it.

***I don't slap my dog regularly. It didn't hurt her, it suprised her more then anything to get the dead squirrel out of her mouth! This was a first and last time she ever picked up a dead squirrel!*****

Rottielover
March 23rd, 2008, 08:05 AM
So what you guys are saying is no matter the training, instinct will Always win over, and to always be on guard??
I guess dogs will always be dogs no matter the training, I was just very glad he did not chomp my hand off.
*By the way, I also do not choke harley reg*
It was to try that or be bit, as I know how protective of real bones he is

Winston
March 23rd, 2008, 08:24 AM
I would have done the same thing Rottielover ! anything to get their attention! I am always on guard anyway! I would still set him up though to reinforce the command.

Cindy

hazelrunpack
March 23rd, 2008, 09:43 AM
We found a little trick to help 'after the fact' when trying to make them let go...and I don't know if it works for short-haired dogs or even for dogs other than wussy setters. :D But try it with something safe and see...

Grab the collar with one hand, get your hand as close as is safely possible (a hand on the object is the best, but may not be safe) to the delectable treat in the dogs mouth, and blow in the closest ear--a steady but not too hard, constant flow. The head shakes to get rid of the tickle and the jaws loosen up for a split second. If we time it right, we can always get the treat out.

But setters have long tickly ear hairs. :shrug: Not sure if it would work on Harley...

Ford Girl
March 24th, 2008, 11:51 AM
I agree, sometimes they don't drop it, Dazy's this way with really "yummy things" too, she just chews and chews faster, and she can be protective too...trying to swallow it before I can pry her mouth open. :rolleyes:

bluesunshine
March 28th, 2008, 11:13 AM
I have the same problem with my Niuniu. For a period of time, she did so well in " drop", but do't know since when she doese listen to "drop", when I say "drop", she will freeze there but not opening her mouth. Then I follow some instruction from the dog book -- put leash on her, say "drop", if she doesn't, I gave leash a tug and then say "drop" again, after 3 tugs she dropped and got lots of praise.....Then,,,,do't know since what day, this does't work either......Now, no matter how hard I tug the leash and say "no" in a stern voice, she will just freeze there, head hunching down.....Well, the more I say "drop" the more frustrated I got.....then.....I did the wrong thing....I wacked her on the nose (:sorry:)......and then....she dropped.....

Mud's Mom
April 1st, 2008, 07:56 PM
Hazelrun is right - the blow in ear trick does work, on other breeds too, but sometimes they get used to the gentle steady blow and a quick puff is needed. Besure not to blow to hard or close so you won't damage ear.
I had a terrible counter surfer and when he stole something he wouldn't give it up. I set him up with paper towels on the counter. They would have a smudge of something good like peanut butter on the outside, I would see him steal it and say "drop it" and he would just chomp down harder only to find hot sauce and black pepper inside. I know it sounds mean but no harm really done and he caught on to the drop it command and surfs the counter much less than before.
But ultimately yes for 99% of dogs with any type of training every so often there instinks or sence of humor will take over and all the rules go right out the window.

shane 123
April 1st, 2008, 08:13 PM
My dogs are totally trained to these commands also but last year on one of our walks in the bush, they found something and paid no mind to my commands, it just made them swallow that much faster...to this day I have no idea what it was they ate. This worried me for a few days, waiting for them to get sick. What I do now is drop some pieces of meat that have hot tabasco sauce on them and when we come back they spot or smell them so they make a grab for them...they always spit it out but I'm waiting till they sniff and walk away...don't know if it will ever happen.