Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

traveling with a dog - abroad

lindiak007
March 22nd, 2008, 07:03 PM
Hello,

I would like to ask where should I go or what should I get for my dog if I want to travel with him abroad.I am an us citizen....living in NY.
Any advise as for correct papers ,...dog passport???:usa:

Thank you

Linda

clm
March 22nd, 2008, 07:26 PM
You'll need to check what the requirements are for where you are going to travel. Some countries, like the UK don't have rabies, so there's a quarantine period of 6 months I think once the dog arrives there.

Cindy

duttypaws
March 22nd, 2008, 07:50 PM
a few airlines dont even let animals into the UK as carry on or Cargo.... best to check with the airline before booking :)

lindiak007
March 22nd, 2008, 08:02 PM
i know about health certificates....but what about passports?
i know that my parents dogs in Europe have a passports;-)

CearaQC
March 22nd, 2008, 08:15 PM
Either locate the US Embassy website in whatever country you wish to travel to (if there is a US embassy there) and read about what's required about traveling with pets, or contact the equivalent to the country's customs agency and ask them. Reading on airline websites is also enlightening but may not be as detailed as customs or an embassy.

The majority of the information is freely available on the internet. You just gotta take the time and research the information.

Kristin7
March 23rd, 2008, 06:54 AM
Would you be traveling with your dog in cargo or carry on with you? There are also restrictions like if the weather is very hot or cold, some airlines (or all, not sure) won't allow animals in cargo. Also, I'd check on the airlines record if possible as to how animals fare and are treated in cargo - I've heard some scary stories - basically your dog is considered cargo, like your luggage, and if something bad happens, you won't have vet costs covered or anything, and at worst, may be left without a dog.

found this link which may be helpful though they don't ship from NY: http://www.actionpetexpress.com/index.html
you may be able to find info on airlines and how pets have fared on flights through some links in this article here: http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2005-04-28-flying-pets_x.htm