Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Disturbing Dreams about Cats

danaekitty
March 22nd, 2008, 08:44 AM
Hey -

When I was a kid, we had a grey cat named Broccoli. He was very sweet. One night, I had a dream that I'd found his body in a mud puddle that had dried up, alsmost as if he'd drowned in thick mud and been left to harden. Broccoli was a strictly indoor cat, so when I woke up panicked and went to find him, he was of course fine.

Ever since then, I've been plagued by horrific dreams about cats. In all of them, I am trying desperately to rescue the cat. I've rescued them from drowning, from being hit by cars, from people.

In a few very horrible nightmares, I've been unable to save the cat and it's died right in front of me. One was eaten by a dog in a dog park. My own Zelda was run over while escaping from a bus that we were riding.

All in all, I've had probably two dozen of these incredibly realistic dreams about rescuing cats throughout my life. Sometimes I'll have one a week for a few weeks, others I'll have none for several months or years, but they always come back, and there's always that same sensation of desperation in trying to save the cat, or the horrible panic when I realize it's too late.

Any thoughts on this? I know it's a little weird, but definitely open to interpretation.

catsnatcher-CDN
March 22nd, 2008, 08:55 AM
I'm in fact a professional dream analyzer (lie) and these reccuring dreams mean you must adopt LOLA in the cats for adoption section.

I'm sure of this.

:angel:

Love4himies
March 22nd, 2008, 09:06 AM
Yes, yes, I agree with catsnatcher, your dreams are trying to tell you that you need to rescue a kitty. Until doing so, you will continue to be plagued by these disturbing dreams.:D

ancientgirl
March 22nd, 2008, 01:04 PM
I think your mind is just creating your fear of something like that happening to a loved cat. That fear is probably just manifesting itself in your dreams.

For instance, I live alone so my fear is always someone coming into my home. I have dreams sometimes where someone breaks into my home. So maybe that's why you are having those dreams about cats. :shrug:

chico2
March 22nd, 2008, 04:11 PM
Danaekitty,I think your experinces stay in your mind,hence the dreams.
I remember quiet by accident I saw on TV a cat beeing boiled alive in China,I reacted badly,I actually threw up.
After that horror,it stayed in my mind for a long time,I had horrific dreams about this poor cat and often involving my own cats and me not beeing able to save them.
Luckily those nightmares have long stopped,as I hope yours will.

danaekitty
March 22nd, 2008, 04:13 PM
Thanks, Chico.
That's how I felt when I saw those threads awhile back about the cat being microwaved and the puppy being kicked off a cliff. So horrible, I couldn't even bring myself to open the threads.

chico2
March 22nd, 2008, 04:24 PM
I am the same way,even watching those poor steers the other day lose in Mississauga,knowing they were going to be butchered made me ill.
I guess the one who was shot dead,was the lucky one.
These kind of things effect me very badly,sometimes I think I am a little crazy..

Jim Hall
March 22nd, 2008, 05:48 PM
If you have the time and $$ you should find yourself a jungian anaylst
Do you only remeber those dreams?

danaekitty
March 22nd, 2008, 06:46 PM
No, I'm a pretty lucid dreamer, I remember tons of my dreams. Dream dictionaries say a cat in your dream is a bad omen, treachery and whatnot.

duttypaws
March 22nd, 2008, 06:55 PM
cats arent always bad omens... it can go a lot to your own view on cats and how you feel for them .... basically your dreams can she trying to show you something about yourself.... in these the cat may be representing you... and your fear of not completing something or other people/things in life that you worry aobut they just seem to come through in your dreams as cats as you like them and relate to them....

CearaQC
March 22nd, 2008, 08:07 PM
The late author Robert Monroe experienced something similar and wrote about a series of dream experiences regarding his little dog.

The dog was run over by a truck, injured or otherwise on the edge of death. In every instance Monroe tried to save the dog and the dream would "reset" and begin again. (Monroe wrote the reset as CLICK!)

During the last one, which happened to be the truck version, he soaked a rag with fuel from the truck, held it over the dog's muzzle and basically said, it was great knowing you, etc. I don't recall the story verbatim. Not trying to make light of the subject matter. Monroe recalled the experience caused him to wake up with a wet face. :sad:

In other words, he ended the suffering of the dog in his dream and did not drastically attempt to "save" it. Every other attempt ended up with a reset.

And he figured the lesson was to honor the life of the animal. While humans can be compassionate and desire to save lives, some times it is best to just honor the animal with the gifts it freely gives and then say goodbye.

After he figured out that meaning of the dream experiences, the "lesson" was over.

I'm not saying that this is what's happening to you, but thought I would offer a different perspective compared to what you would normally find on the internet regarding "reading" dreams.

It wouldn't hurt to try and take control of these dreams and instead of trying to frantically save the lives of these cats, make their passing easier and honor them from your heart. No words are necessary, just let the feeling move through you.

Hope that helps.

krdahmer
March 23rd, 2008, 12:26 PM
When I was younger I had a series of aweful nightmares where night after night I dreampt that I died agonizing deaths in some form of natural disaster. Volcanos, floods, mud slides, tidal waves, earthquakes... over and over again. I was only about 10, had no idea why they started, and they ended just as suddenly.

Now that I'm older, I can more easily relate such nightmares to things I see or hear in my daily life. Like you when I dream of animals suffering that I cannot seem to help, it's usually after reading or seeing an abuse story.... heck sometimes I don't even have to watch or read the story, just the headlines are enough to turn my stomach and make me cry. And I know for a fact that my imagination takes these stories far into details that were never published and may not even be close to the truth.

I think personally that those of us who are so tortured by the suffering of innocent others, gain a very valuable respect and admiration for life. All life. And by doing what we can in our waking hours, even if it is only sharing words, thoughts or ideas.... I think we do make a difference in the world. And that being affraid for the things that could happen to our animals, children etc, helps us create a safer environment for them.

chico2
March 23rd, 2008, 03:32 PM
Dahmer,you are probably right,I've gotten soo bad though,that I cannot even watch nature shows,where one animal kills the other..I just get sick:yell:and get nightmares and it's getting worse as I get older.
Now with the horrific sealhunt coming up,there is another thing that makes me sick..

ancientgirl
March 23rd, 2008, 04:04 PM
I remember when I was little, my mother hated watching those nature shows too. She hated seeing other animals killing each other, and I've noticed as I'm getting older I'm just like her.

You know it's part of nature, but it's hard to watch. Especially when we know people do these horrible things to animals. I can't even watch commercials for the Humane Society. :sad:

danaekitty
March 24th, 2008, 07:53 AM
I can't even watch commercials for the Humane Society. :sad:

Me neither! I get weepy and have to change the channel. I feel soooo guilty, which is exactly what they want you to feel, even though I do everything I can for every animal I can. No fair.

Ceara - as far as taking control of the dreams - I don't think I know how. I too have woken up in tears because the cat in the dream was killed, or so badly mangled... in the one where the cat was attacked by the dog, another person in the dream put the cat out of it's misery...I won't go into the details, it was gruesome. But in all the dreams, I just move automatically, the way I would in real life: I see a cat drowning, I dive in and save it. It's simple, but I don't have control over it.

Dutty - I used to think that trying to save the cat was symbolic for me trying to save my indipendance...I'm not sure where I came up with it, but it made sense at the time...so I think you're on to something with that.

The good news is, I am able to save the cats in almost all of the dreams, they rarely die.

CearaQC
March 24th, 2008, 09:12 AM
It takes a lot of focus and intent to become lucid, but it can be done.

Some people try really hard on purpose to obtain the ability. They use what's called a Wake-Initiated Lucid Dream (WILD) system. This (supposedly) helps get you into the in between sleep and awake states and eventually pop into a lucid dream. I never bothered with that method because I looooove my sleepy times. :laughing:

http://www.dreamviews.com/community/showthread.php?t=1886

OR you can keep an eye out for really funky stuff in a dream that deep down you know shouldn't be there or doesn't exist in what we know as "reality." Stuff like a purple elephant or flying computer that has flapping wings. That's the only way I've been able to become lucid. But the majority of the time I don't even bother. :shrug: Everyone is different I guess. I tried it a few times but then got bored with it.

My dream last night (or was it this morning?), I saw thousands of hummingbirds. In the environment around me, the grass was green but no trees were budded and there certainly wasn't any flowers. I said in the dream that the hummingbirds were way too early, they were there now but have no food! What to do... then for some reason I looked to the grass and found different colored clover flowers, one for every color of the rainbow, scattered all around the grass. It was very pretty. :D I've never seen bright orange clover though but it was cool looking.

I hope the hummers don't get messed up in their migrations this year!

danaekitty
March 24th, 2008, 09:18 AM
WEEEEEIRD.
A swarm of hummingbirds would probably freak me out big time.
I also enjoy my sleepy time. I have REALLY hard time getting out of my nice cozy bed in the mornings, and I usually hit snooze about three times.
I'm a master at getting ready for work really really fast.

CyberKitten
March 25th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Have you thought of discussing these with anyone? Other than us I mean - a professional - a therapist or a dream analyst. Not suggesting there are any problems - I think it sometimes is good to discuss things bothering you with a professional even when you feel fine. They may represent something. Then again, it may all go back to an incident with your own cat. I myself rarely recall dreams- except nightmares and those are usually really traumatic events ad VERY traumatic events so perhaps a cat was involved in some event in your life?

If it DOES affect your sleep habits, it would be worthwhile to talk to someone.

chico2
March 26th, 2008, 06:59 AM
For a long period I used to have a recurring panicky dream,would wake up totally out of whack.
It was always the same,involving a couple of Budgies in a cage..
I would put the cage in another room,away from my cats and forget to feed them,forget about them period:yell:
In the dream,I would panic,remembering the birds and I was usually far away,could not help them..I had this dream,over and over again for a long time:confused:
Now,I don't have any Budgies,never did,but I certainly would never forget about them,if I did,strange:confused:

danaekitty
March 26th, 2008, 07:41 AM
No, I haven't discussed them with a professional before. They don't really disturb my regular sleep habit, per se, I don't have them frequently enough for them to really be a bother. Other than waking up in tears the odd time, of course.
I just thought I'd post it to see if anyone else has weird animally dreams like this. Chico, that one about the birds is crazy. It reminds me of when I sued to wait tables, and I'd have dreams almost every night about how my section was super busy, and I simply couldn't move fast enough to get to the next table, there was a dirty table here, people waiting for their drinks, etc. I'd be trying to make my way to a table that had been sitting and waiting with ther menus for ages, but I could never seem to get there.

chico2
March 26th, 2008, 07:46 AM
It's strange you you mention the waitress dream,I too worked in a restaurant once,with exactly the same dreams:confused:

pbpatti
March 26th, 2008, 11:43 AM
I absolutly love lucid dreaming.:lightbulb:.I think that in most of my dreams I am lucid. It is fun to be able to change your dream the way you want to. I don't have any dreams in mind at this time, I am not remembering too many right now, guess my mind says slep is what she needs.:cloud9: pbp