Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Orijen or not?

bluesunshine
March 21st, 2008, 02:20 PM
Hi,

My dog, 6-month-old golden retriever, is on Orijen, the high protein, wheat free dog food for about 3 months. She is doing okay. The poo is not solid all the time though. HOwever, she is not getting enough exercise which is a must for this type of high protein dog food. So I want to switch to Fromm or Wellness, other 2 types of dog food that is said to be good. But when I went to buy the food the girl in the pet store said do NOT switch dog food when they are puppies.

Is this right? Should I stay on Orijen if my dog only gets like 40 minutes walk. Does any one tried Fromm or Wellness? Are they good?

Thank you!:)

Love4himies
March 21st, 2008, 02:34 PM
I don't have a dog, but my cats eat Orijen, Wellness, Fromms and Merricks and they have done extremely well on those brands. (Wellness is their main food).

bluesunshine
March 21st, 2008, 02:44 PM
I don't have a dog, but my cats eat Orijen, Wellness, Fromms and Merricks and they have done extremely well on those brands. (Wellness is their main food).

Thank you. I didn't know Orijen makes cat food too..hee hee....So do you feed your cats one brand or do you mix them up?

Winston
March 21st, 2008, 03:27 PM
My chocolate lab has been on Orijen for over a year now...he eats the fish formula..He loves it..poops are perfect...he doesnt get much more excercise than your doing...I am not sure if this makes a difference for pups or not. And the Orijen solved alot of health issues I had with my boy!

Cindy

bluesunshine
March 21st, 2008, 03:51 PM
Thank you Cindy! I guess I will stick to Orijen for a while then!:thumbs up

rainbow
March 21st, 2008, 04:09 PM
I have a siberian husky and a yellow lab that have been on Orijen for a little over a year now too and they are doing great. My lab has had two TPLO surgeries in the last year so was not allowed much exercise at all and there's been no problems with feeding him Orijen.

Both my cats have been on Orijen for about six months. They get fed canned food twice a day and the Orijen is left out for them to nibble on.

Goldens4Ever
March 22nd, 2008, 10:15 PM
Thank you Cindy! I guess I will stick to Orijen for a while then!:thumbs up

I would stick with Orijen too (I hope it is their Large Breed Puppy formula).

Remember, just because a food may have great ingredients do not necessarily mean that it meets every dogs' nutrient needs. Different breeds & dogs at different stages in life require different levels of nutrients.

the gang
March 22nd, 2008, 10:28 PM
as you all know i have min pins 5--- to be exact,:thumbs up all rescues---, i first checked into orgen last fall when i found out dakota was diabect, no fillers no grain, vet said i needed to put him on spechial food, im a diabect and watch what i eat i said let me have a try at the orjen, she said ok but we have to get results down, so i put him on orgen and it helped alot!!! they love it, and dakota too, his sugars came way down, so my :2cents: are stick with it good luck brenda and the pins.

bluesunshine
March 22nd, 2008, 11:50 PM
I have a siberian husky and a yellow lab that have been on Orijen for a little over a year now too and they are doing great. My lab has had two TPLO surgeries in the last year so was not allowed much exercise at all and there's been no problems with feeding him Orijen.

Both my cats have been on Orijen for about six months. They get fed canned food twice a day and the Orijen is left out for them to nibble on.

Hi Rainbow,Can I ask you how much are you feeding your husky and yellow lab? Right now, I am feeding my dog Niuniu two cups a day, which is much less than the direction on the back of the bag. Now, after the spay, the vet said their metabolism will slow down, I dont know if I should cut down the feeding amount 'cuz I don't want my dog to get overweight.

Thank you.:lovestruck:

bluesunshine
March 22nd, 2008, 11:51 PM
I would stick with Orijen too (I hope it is their Large Breed Puppy formula).

Remember, just because a food may have great ingredients do not necessarily mean that it meets every dogs' nutrient needs. Different breeds & dogs at different stages in life require different levels of nutrients.

Thank you Goldensforever.....Yes, she is on that large breed puppy formula.

rainbow
March 23rd, 2008, 12:06 AM
Hi Rainbow,Can I ask you how much are you feeding your husky and yellow lab? Right now, I am feeding my dog Niuniu two cups a day, which is much less than the direction on the back of the bag. Now, after the spay, the vet said their metabolism will slow down, I dont know if I should cut down the feeding amount 'cuz I don't want my dog to get overweight.

Thank you.:lovestruck:

Both of my boys are on the adult formula. My husky was 3 yr. old in January and was getting 2 cups per day but I have just cut him back to 1 3/4 since his last trip to the vet last Wednesday showed that he weighs 60 lb. and I would like him to be no more than 58lb. My lab will be 3 yr. old in July and weighs 90lb. and he gets 3 cups per day.

rainbow
March 23rd, 2008, 12:26 AM
I should also say that I do add stuff to their supper meal. They always get a little bit of plain organic yogurt and a wee bit of leftover meat and veggies. Once a week they share a can of sardines (packed in water) with the cats.

mika140
March 23rd, 2008, 06:37 PM
My 10 yr old GSD (58 lbs) gets 2 cups a day of regular adult Orijen. She's doing great on it and probably gets no more exercise than yours seems to.

My younger GSD (73 lbs) is very active and gets 3 1/2 - 4 cups a day of adult regular and has also done fantastic on it.

Ford Girl
March 24th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Hi,

My dog, 6-month-old golden retriever, is on Orijen, the high protein, wheat free dog food for about 3 months. She is doing okay. The poo is not solid all the time though. HOwever, she is not getting enough exercise which is a must for this type of high protein dog food. So I want to switch to Fromm or Wellness, other 2 types of dog food that is said to be good. But when I went to buy the food the girl in the pet store said do NOT switch dog food when they are puppies.

Is this right? Should I stay on Orijen if my dog only gets like 40 minutes walk. Does any one tried Fromm or Wellness? Are they good?

Thank you!:)

My golden was on Orijen from 4 months old to just recently - 18 months old, but had to switch due to a non-food related illness....but over all Orijen is a good food. I have never heard "dont switch puppy's foods" tho...we switched her foods until we found the right one...I would say the soft stool is over feeding, on her low activity days you can decrease the amount by 1/4 cup...my friends 37lbs dog eats 2 cups per day of Orijen, and at 78lbs, my dog was eating 3 cups. I found she really let me know if she was hungry or not, needed more or not, based on her energy levels...it's a great food but easy to over feed a rich food such as this...especially if you are also training with treats too...the back of the bag is a guidline, and it's always higher then you should feed. :) The last thing you want is an over weight dog, and they have growth spurts so the amount they need to consume varies as they grow up.

Oh, and pictures please....lots and lots of golden love pictures...:lovestruck: :angel: :cloud9:

bluesunshine
March 27th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Thank you Fordgirl! Very well written and informatie and helpful! Really! Based on all the posts above I will stick to Orijen then, just keep the feeding amount low. To thank you here is a picture of Niuniu, taken last week after the spay.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v124/sadblues/NiuNiu/IMG_0895.jpg