Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ageing Cat

Tara Smith
March 21st, 2008, 10:07 AM
My cat is 17 years old. Two years ago she was diagnosed with an enlarged kidney. Our vet wanted to do exploratory surgery. It made no sense given her age. She is not in any pain and drinks a lot of water.

In the last 24 hours she has been "leaking" white not smelly substance, based in a clear watery liquid. She has no control it seems over that. Otherwize she seems fine.

any thoughts?

Love4himies
March 21st, 2008, 10:45 AM
:sorry: No idea at all. Poor kitty, have you asked your vet about it? Don't blame you for not allowing the surgery.

Do you have any pictures to post of your kitty.

RUSTYcat
March 21st, 2008, 04:09 PM
My cat ...was diagnosed with an enlarged kidney....and drinks a lot of water...In the last 24 hours she has been "leaking" white not smelly substance, based in a clear watery liquid. She has no control it seems over that. ...any thoughts?

I guess my first thought is... I hope you're planning a Vet visit ASAP.

The only other thing I would add is that, at her age, she should be seeing the Vet at six month intervals.

Dr Lee
March 22nd, 2008, 03:02 PM
Exploratory surgery on a 17 year old cat with an enlarged kidney is a large undertaking. I would be happy to put in my :2cents:. Can you provide some more information? Do you have blood values, urinalysis testing? Any ultrasound?

Exploratory surgery is always a big deal however with kidneys, it is important to know that kidney biopsy will always result in decreased kidney function of some level. While this can be necessary, it is also important to know where your cat is. Is this a last ditch effort where perhaps comfort should be our concern? Or is there potential hope for management? Is infection, cancer or cystic disease highest on your vet's mind with your pet? :pawprint: