Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sign spring is not far away

chico2
March 21st, 2008, 07:34 AM
The Gracklers(black-birds)and the Red Winged Blackbirds are back in flocks,now I am waiting for the Robins:thumbs up
I believe my winter-Robin did not survive:sad:

hazelrunpack
March 21st, 2008, 09:26 AM
I saw a bluebird 2 weekends ago, but no robins at all this year yet. Normally, they're back by the end of the first week of March, but they seem to be playing it smart and staying south of the snow line...which means they're probably not even into Illinois yet!

Your robin may just have moved further south to find more fruit to eat this winter, chico :fingerscr--they really are amazingly adaptive. They move back and forth to where the food is.

We haven't seen any grackles or red-winged blackbirds yet, either. Evidently only the bluebirds are brave enough to attempt it so far this spring. :D

Love4himies
March 21st, 2008, 09:28 AM
Yes it must be, we too have had the red winged black birds and robins return. I feel so bad for the robins, the snow cover is making it impossible for them to eat :sad:. We still have about 18 inches of snow in our yard.:frustrated:

Sylvie
March 21st, 2008, 11:43 AM
We have had Blue Jays, black birds, and 2 sets of beautiful cardinels, they looked so beautiful with the snow for a backdrop. Have not seen any red winged black birds or robins yet, but I am looking.

Sylvie

SARAH
March 21st, 2008, 11:49 AM
I saw a red-wing black bird a couple of weeks ago, but he left again, too cold! Smart bird :D

All we have are the blue jayes, the one couple of cardinals, chickadees and junkos, sparrows, red breasted nut hatch, and some woodpeckers - and those starling of course. Oh, and the mourning doves! And I have heard a few gulls too, but not seen them.

What could a bird do now anyway? No grass, no greenery, no sprouting anything, no bugs to eat for those who'd rather have that than seeds ...

Nope, no sign of spring at all :sad:

chico2
March 21st, 2008, 03:57 PM
L4H,if you are worried about the birds who do not eat seeds,you can cut up some apple,throw out some raisins or whatever you might have and the birds will eat it,suet is also good for the returning brds.
The snow in our back is just about gone,lots of grass is showing:thumbs up
But I am sure we'll have another snowstorm.
A Hawk just got one of my Pigeons again...I am watching him right now..

clm
March 21st, 2008, 09:46 PM
We have flocks of redwings and grackles back too. This is the time of year I go through the most bird seed. No natural food for any of these guys right now, so my feeders take a pounding. Even the robins will eat cracked corn from the feeders when they arrive. I haven't seen any of them yet though.

Cindy

happycats
March 21st, 2008, 10:01 PM
Yeah and the Mourning doves are cooing, and getting frisky in our tree (their last years nesting site)
My DH saw a robin, and the red winged black bird, and the geese are back at my work (they nest in the planters around our building) it's a very busy office building, and so wonderful to see them co-exist with humans in such a busy area:)

rainbow
March 22nd, 2008, 12:23 AM
The robins have been here for a good three weeks now and the kildeer just showed up a few days ago. There's lots of others but don't know what they are. :o :D

chico2
March 22nd, 2008, 06:38 AM
The only ones around here who do not go to the feeders are the Robins,but with some of the snow gone,revealing berries on the bushes,I think the Robins will be ok once they arrive.
I read somewhere the males are the first to arrive,seeking out safe nestingsites.:confused:
I saw a larger than normal Wood-Pecker the other day,I am soooo silly,get all excited when I see a new bird:laughing:

SARAH
March 22nd, 2008, 07:29 AM
Anita, I do too! As soon as a "new" bird shows up, I'm all over the bird-book to see who it is! The difficulty lies in the graphics of the book, it's not always easy to recognize the real bird in the drawing.

chico2
March 22nd, 2008, 07:33 AM
Me too,I run around"where's my bird-book,where's my bird-book?":laughing:

SARAH
March 22nd, 2008, 07:42 AM
Oh no, it's RIGHT BY THE WINDOW :laughing: where the feeder is. Of course, I'm being told I'm crazy, but then ... what's new :shrug: :laughing: