- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


Back from the Vet.

March 20th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Well, that was an experience.
Guinness was sick in the car, but was fine once we got outside. We went in and the receptionist was nice, it smelled and looked clean and quiet. He got to meet his first dog up close, and did okay with that. Then, into the vets room. He sanitized the table and was very gentle handling Guinness while he looked at his teeth, felt for his testes, and with the general checkup. I couldn't hold Guinness for the shot, so he brought the nurse in. The first shot bled a little bit, but other than a bit of jerk once the needle was in Guinness did fine, no yelping or crying - as soon as it was over though he came over to me with his head down and tried to climb into my shirt. For the next shot I scratched his ears, he got the Bordatella as well. The vet was from Hungary and told me that his wife was a dachshund lover, and was friendly. In between shots he massaged the dogs face and pet him nicely, trying to keep him calm - not rough movements at all. He even showed me how to clip his nails, and commented on how cute the little tuft of hair Guinness has on the tip of his tail was. :)

Guinness checked in as a healthy dog and I was given a deworming pill to give him tomorrow in some food.

I feel better about it now. I felt so bad when he was bleeding, and kept wanting to be close to me through it all. Right now he is curled up in my lap snoozing, it seems he has forgiven me.

He even got a treat for no good reason.

Poor baby.

March 20th, 2008, 06:34 PM
:thumbs up glad to hear it was more stressful for you than him!

dont worry in a few hours he will have forgotten about it all and will be back to piddling and chewing things :)

March 20th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Yes, it was definitely more stressful for me. Now I get to sit at home and fear a random allergic reaction for a good 7-10 days, because I am just like that. :laughing:

March 20th, 2008, 08:26 PM
It sounds like you've got a nice vet there. I'm sure your baby will be fine. Were you able to ask him all the questions you wrote down?

March 20th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Yes, and he ever double checked and asked if I had everything I wanted - I just remembered to ask about his nails at the last minute, and he was more than happy to show me how to clip them.

March 20th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Guinness just whined like I hurt him when I picked him up. Is it because he is tender from the shots (it was one in each side)? He didn't mind earlier... My worrying is starting to skyrocket. :confused:

March 20th, 2008, 08:43 PM
I'm sure he's just a little sore on the site of the shot, that's normal. My little ones were like that too. In fact, I recall Vlad and Oksana sleeping most of he day after their first shots, because they were about 14 and 12 weeks old. You might want to wait for the puppy owners but I imagine it's the same with pups as with kitties and he might spend a day or so just resting.

After they were a little older getting their shots wasn't as bad. They really are just little babies.:cloud9:

March 20th, 2008, 09:02 PM
What pill did they give Guiness for the deworming? Last year they gave Harley Drostal and it didn't sit so well in his little tummy. For a couple of days we had to pick him up very carefully, couldn't touch his tummy. My husband's aunt is a vet in Manitoba and we'd called her in a panic. She had us put him on a wet food diet for a couple of days and he was just fine.

March 20th, 2008, 10:02 PM
He gave me one tablet of Drontal. Is it the same stuff? I didn't want to give it to him till tomorrow, since he had an upset tummy today. I hope that he'll do better with it tomorrow.

The more time goes on the more I notice how much pain he is in. He is mopey and doesn't want to walk. He doesn't lay down right, and he yelps whenever I pick him up - but I have to pick him up to go outside and stuff. We are being very careful with him. Hopefully he'll feel better in a day or so. :sick:

March 21st, 2008, 06:59 AM
Yea, it was Drontal. It sounds like he has a sore tummy. What are you feeding him right now? You might wanna try just feeding him wet for a couple days. Is your vet open today or are they closed for the holiday? You probably should give them a call. Good luck and I hope Guinness is feeling better soon! :) Oh and if you have a hot water bottle or warming pack, that helps too. Just heat it til it's warm not hot.

March 21st, 2008, 02:14 PM
We were wetting down a mix of the old Nutram and the new Holistic Select, as well as mixing in a teaspoon of wet food. So far today he hasn't wanted to eat.
I don't want to give him that pill on an empty stomach. Maybe I will wait a few days. :shrug: