Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

First Vet Visit TODAY!

Chibi
March 20th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Technically, it's Guinness's second, but it's my first time ever - and I am so nervous. I don't know what is normal, what to watch for, what kind of questions to ask...

And my poor baby is getting needles! I'll cry. I hate needles - and I hate them even more when they make my baby cry.

Help? :cry:

Love4himies
March 20th, 2008, 12:16 PM
I find I do worse than my cats when they have to get a needle. They don't even acknowledge it, I cringe and imagine it is going into me:p

Guinness will be fine ;)

Lukka'sma
March 20th, 2008, 12:19 PM
I have never even seen Lukka flinch when she gets a needle. I don't imagine you'll have to much to worry about in that area.
When we first took Lukka to our vet we were sent home with a package explaining dog behavior, dog training, diet and nutrition, play and exercise, etc. Maybe your vet will also have some type of information package too.
You and Guinness will do just fine at the vet:)

Chibi
March 20th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Oh, I really hope so. I will ask for lots of additional information, tips for feeding, grooming, and training. Maybe I should ask about heartworm pills?

rainbow
March 20th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Guinness will be fine and won't even feel the needle. Most vets give an information package to take home for first time puppy owners. Just don't let them talk you into feeding the vet food. :eek:

Chibi
March 20th, 2008, 12:48 PM
OH! My Nanny and my Aunty both buy their daschie's vet food and told me I should do the same. Why would you recommend that I don't get vet food? +curious+

rainbow
March 20th, 2008, 01:02 PM
It's an overpriced bag of grains.

Chibi
March 20th, 2008, 01:21 PM
lol, okay. Thanks. :D

ancientgirl
March 20th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Guinness should be fine with the needle. I know, it's upsetting. When I have to take mine, I find I get more upset because um...kitties can get quite uncooperative sometimes. I get upset seeing them being held down. But they're always fine afterwards, really pissed off, but fine. :laughing:

My vet's office sells Science Diet, but I've found that my vet has always been really supportive when I've mentioned to her what I feed mine. You should have a look at some better quality foods. They'll cost you a bit more but it's worth it in the long run. I'm trying to get the F4 on EVO by Innova, they also make dog food. I've also been looking on the Evanger brand site and they look really good too.

Good luck with the visit. Let us know how he does.

Chibi
March 20th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Someone here suggested Holistic Select, so that is what we bought this time around. When it's wet Guinness does a good job wolfing it down. :D

I know I am freaking for nothing, it's just a bit intimidating since I have never visited a vet before, and I don't know how he'll behave, and I am always afraid of finding out something is wrong, lol. I worry too much about the silliest things.
I wrote a list of the things I need to ask about, so I won't forget.

ancientgirl
March 20th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Someone here suggested Holistic Select, so that is what we bought this time around. When it's wet Guinness does a good job wolfing it down. :D

I know I am freaking for nothing, it's just a bit intimidating since I have never visited a vet before, and I don't know how he'll behave, and I am always afraid of finding out something is wrong, lol. I worry too much about the silliest things.
I wrote a list of the things I need to ask about, so I won't forget.

I'm a worry wart too. It's because you love your baby so much, there's nothing wrong with that.

It's a good idea to write things down.

Have you taken him to this vet before? I think it's important, VERY important for you to feel comfortable with the vet, and observe the way they treat your puppy/kitty. I've read about the way some vets treat pets they are examining that have made me wonder what they person even became a vet.

I love my vet because I can see how much she loves her job. She's always smiling and always very gentle and trying to find ways to make anything she does comfortable to the sweetie she's working with at the time.

Good luck, I hope you get one of the good ones.

duttypaws
March 20th, 2008, 03:23 PM
when i take my pets for an injection i turn away!! lol.... :rolleyes: im a wimp !!

Chibi
March 20th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Nope, I have never been to this vet - I have never been in a vets office - which is why I am so nervous. I really hope I like this vet, as I would like to stick to the same one. The receptionist has always been nice on the phone, so maybe that counts for something? And the shots are the cheapest in town, not ridiculously over priced, so maybe that is to encourage pet owners to vaccinate their pets?