Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

SPCA rumblings?

badger
March 19th, 2008, 11:28 PM
There was a promo for the local news on CTV Montreal saying that the SPCA board was having problems. I missed the piece, did anyone see it?
The weight of recent information on the antics of Mr. B - although I do have some sympathy for him; this is our problem as much as his - may be having an effect.
Vive la révolution!

badger
March 19th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Oops. I just saw the piece. The board is split, in particular over accountability ($), treatment of animals and employees and misrepresentation of euthanasia rates. Mr. B. claimed 'under 10%' last year LMFAO. An emergency general meeting has been called for April 9, unless the 'hardliners' succeed in stopping it. They are selling new memberships until March 29; only members can attend meetings.

Hmmm. Membership info on their website is well buried, I can't find it. There is, however, a diatribe against Anima Quebec. Come to think of it, we hardly hear anything about AQ; what exactly are they paid to do?

Frenchy
March 20th, 2008, 12:24 PM
There is, however, a diatribe against Anima Quebec. Come to think of it, we hardly hear anything about AQ; what exactly are they paid to do?

I saw the news too , because they were talking about it on the radio earlier yesterday. There was something about this last Friday , on JE (french program)

From what I heard : Anima Quebec is suppose to be like spca , protect animals , take complaints and send investigators.

From what I've seen : yep , they are like spcas , they barely do anything about puppy mills ....

Frenchy
March 20th, 2008, 12:26 PM
I must add, I have been many times in contact with employees of Laval and Montreal spca , they are all good people , it's the administration that's the problem over there.

badger
March 20th, 2008, 12:54 PM
they are all good people

That goes without saying. I honestly feel like a lesser species in comparison.

There is a rant on the SPCA site (undated) which criticizes AQ without naming anything or anybody. It points out (true?) that the head honcho is 'friendly' to puppy mills.

Do we ever need to clean this up, whatever it takes. Change the regulations, build in some accountability, because it's only going to get worse.

Barnoti looks terrible (or he refused make-up) for his recent appearances on TV (the JE program), only his embattled ego is holding him back.

Frenchy
March 20th, 2008, 01:00 PM
You did see him on JE ? Everytime this guy opens his mouth it makes me scream :yell: and like always , the animals (and the employees too) are the ones suffering from this bad publicity. :sad: please please someone get him out of there !!!! They should ask us (pets.ca members) to run these spcas :thumbs up