Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hey Torontonians!

Byrd
March 19th, 2008, 06:59 PM
This Saturday and Sunday Willow and I will be racing at the All About Pets Show at the International Centre.

Our flyball team, On The Fly, will be debuting with three experienced racers, one semi-experienced (Willow), and two newbies.

It should be so much fun. Common out if you can.

Willow is only 80 points from her next title, so by Saturday she should be Willow FDCh. :fingerscr

hazelrunpack
March 19th, 2008, 07:57 PM
I wish I was closer--that does sound like fun! :D Good luck to you and Willow! :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Byrd
March 19th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Lots of fun, lots of energy, lots of noise!!!!

meg4050
March 19th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Aww I'd come if I were in town this weekend!

Spatx
March 20th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Hi Byrd!

I'll most likely be at the All About Pets Show this weekend. I'm also looking to find an agility trainer or place to rent mat time in the GTA. It was suggested I ask you to know if you can help point me in the right direction :D I have a 7 year old rescue Aussie that I'm hoping to get into competition this summer, just need to find some people in the area to help me get into the sport more, since backyard training can only get me so far ;)

In any case, I'll probably see your dog running Flyball at some point I hope! :)

rainbow
March 20th, 2008, 03:40 AM
It's a little far for me :D so I just wanted to say good luck to you and Willow. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

clm
March 20th, 2008, 05:56 AM
I live close enough to walk to the international centre , so I'm hoping to be able to get there for the show on Sunday. If I'm there I'll be cheering you on for sure. :D

Cindy

Kashi
March 20th, 2008, 11:30 AM
I think we'll head up. I'll check out the schedule to see if it'll be Saturday or Sunday though.

Is there any way to maybe recognize other pet.ca members while there ?

I'll be fairly easy to spot - I'll have two kids in a little double stroller, or one toddler in a sling with a Canada flag print.

When is Willow running, Byrd ?

Spatx
March 20th, 2008, 11:43 AM
I have a bright neon pink cast on my right hand/arm - can't be hard to miss. :laughing: I'm still trying to decide what day to go as well, either Sat. or Sun.

Love4himies
March 20th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Willow is only 80 points from her next title, so by Saturday she should be Willow FDCh. :fingerscr

A dog with letters after her name :eek:, she'll be requiring the royal treatment after that :laughing:.

Good luck, Willow!

mafiaprincess
March 20th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Hi Byrd!
I'm also looking to find an agility trainer or place to rent mat time in the GTA. It was suggested I ask you to know if you can help point me in the right direction :D I have a 7 year old rescue Aussie that I'm hoping to get into competition this summer, just need to find some people in the area to help me get into the sport more, since backyard training can only get me so far ;)

Good luck Byrd at flyball. Congrats on your almost title ;) I'd love to watch, but we have an agility trial in Orangeville..

Sorry to hijack..

K9Klubhouse is in Pickering, they have classes and mat time.
The agility facility is at Caledonia & Lawrence, they offer mat rental.
Spot On is in Purple Hill, they have small classes, and field rental when it's no longer snowy.
Petopia is at the DVP & Eglinton, they offer classes, their main agility person is awesome and has been on the AAC world team.
Superdogs is in Bowmanville with classes
Over the Edge is in Bowmanville with classes and 'club' practice time.
Who's walking who is in Ajax and TO with classes.

There are other's but they start getting further and further into Mississauga during rush hour.. I've trained and trialled at half the ones on that list. I've been in the Agility community for two years, trialling for one. Any Qs shoot me a pm.

Byrd
March 20th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Thanks MP, the only agility place I really know well is of course SuperDog Central. I don't really know many in the GTA. I'm not THAT into agility.

Willow already has letters after her name, she's currently Willow FDX (Flyball Dog Excellent), but in flyball the titles go by points, at certain points levels (going up each time... 20, 100, 500, 1000, 2500, 5000, 10000, 15000, 20000, 30000, etc) different titles are awarded, Willow currently has 420 and needs 500 for her FDCh (Flyball Dog Champion), at 1000 she will get her FDCh-S (Silver) and quite possibly that may happen this weekend.

On The Fly (our team) runs both Saturday and Sunday at various times throughout the schedule. Our team consists of Willow, a Visla, two BC's, and two mixes, one tri and one blue merle. We don't have team uniforms made up yet (we're that new) so I can't even give that as a clue.

If anyone comes out, you'll have to come say hi. Unfortunately spectators aren't allowed in the crating area, but we usually get the dogs straight outside right after a race so that they don't cramp up. Would anyone be able to take some pics for me?????

Here's us after our first tournament with our Dream Team award for best up and coming.

Kashi
March 20th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Would anyone be able to take some pics for me?????

I would *love* to take some photos for you if you'd let me.

Here is a sample of some photos I've taken - all human though. (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1430&l=e97e8&id=503898181)

Byrd
March 20th, 2008, 08:36 PM
Thanks Kashi.

LOL I didn't mean to make assumptions that anyone would actually bring a camera. But, if you happen to be there, and you happen to bring your camera, can you post any pics you take here. Thanks. :thumbs up Is that more PC?

Kashi
March 20th, 2008, 08:42 PM
:D

I don't go too far without my camera, and I think we're going to go up on Saturday. I'll post any photos I get.

Byrd
March 20th, 2008, 08:57 PM
:D Thanks!

Spatx
March 22nd, 2008, 08:59 PM
I went today, did anyone else get a chance to make it out?

I met Willow, and all I can say is.. :lovestruck::lovestruck:

I had a great time! Got a few toys for Cody plus a nifty bandana. There wasn't as much to buy as I had hoped, but I did still enjoy looking around and watching all the different dog breeds, and of course the flyball tournament!

Byrd
March 22nd, 2008, 10:08 PM
I met Willow, and all I can say is.. :lovestruck::lovestruck:

She didn't get to see her play flyball though, we were in our team's first two races of the day which were both before noon. She did get to see her in the frisbee tricks demo and the parade of breeds though. That was fun and unexpected for me, I figured we were only doing flyball, the other stuff was last minute.

We are now officially only 13 points away from our FDCh.... we only got 65 points today. :shrug: New team, that's our excuse.

Spatx
March 22nd, 2008, 10:21 PM
Yeah, wish I could have seen her doing flyball, but I did get to meet her at least ;) She's so close to the next title, she'll get it very fast!

Byrd
March 22nd, 2008, 10:27 PM
Well we were going to stagger it (do every other race), so she would have been in the race you saw, but Heather's family was coming in the afternoon and she wanted them to see Diesel, so we switched it up.

We'll have it for sure tomorrow.

Funny, our newest member is the first to meet her.

Kashi
March 23rd, 2008, 07:50 AM
We were up yesterday too - but I'm not positive we saw Byrd or Willow :confused:

We watched the flyball races at 12:15 and 2:00 pm.

Most of the photos I took didn't turn out well, unfortunately - the 'no flash' rule got me, and the photos are all dark and grainy.

We all had a great time though - the flyball was so fun to watch, even the kids had a blast watching it.

Byrd
March 23rd, 2008, 09:04 PM
Hey, I missed ya. We were in the morning races, so about 9:30 and noon.

We got our title in the first heat! So Willow is now Willow FDCh.

Our team did really well today, we came in FIRST!!!!! We also had the fastest time overall at 17.9 seconds and that wasn't pushing it.

I forgot to mention yesterday that I had an almost perfect start... not that that means anything to any of you, but it's an awesome accomplishment, especially for a newbie!

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/4471/imgp5191wv5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

hazelrunpack
March 23rd, 2008, 09:06 PM
She looks so proud!!!! :lovestruck: And that's quite the ribbon! :thumbs up

Good job, Willow and Byrd! :highfive:

Byrd
March 23rd, 2008, 09:18 PM
LOL Yeah, it's huge!!! :D

growler~GateKeeper
March 24th, 2008, 02:19 AM
Great Job Willow & Byrd :thumbs up :highfive: :pawprint:

Congrats on the FDCh title :highfive:

I've seen enough Flyball & SuperDog Head-to-Head races to know how important the start is ;), way to go Willow :thumbs up

Extra kisses & cookies for Willow :lovestruck:

Kashi
March 24th, 2008, 07:31 AM
I hope you don't mind - I played with the photo of Willow.

Byrd
March 24th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Thanks guys.

Kashi, that is amazing!!!!! Thank you.

Spatx
March 24th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Congrats to you and Willow! That is one big ribbon, it looks fancy :D

Byrd
March 24th, 2008, 08:28 PM
You guys wanna see her play? Here's a cell phone video. Willow's start dog, so she's a little harder to notice, well the video's not the best quality anyway. LOL I'm the only one you can't hear call my dog back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrDnn8CG2qQ&feature=related

Kashi, you didn't happen to see the parade of breeds on Sunday, the first one that was in the morning?

Kashi
March 24th, 2008, 08:55 PM
We were there on Saturday, actually.

We came into the demo area just at the tail end of the parade of breeds, only saw something like 4 dogs.

Then a little demo by a K9 unit - dogs sniffing out drugs, termites, bedbugs, and such.

Then the flyball.

Byrd
March 24th, 2008, 09:00 PM
The first parade of breeds? Willow was in the second and in the frisbee demo. She only did the parade of breeds on Sunday (and the flyball of course) and they wanted energy, we gave them energy. We went first and when they annouced the Australian Shepherd I opened the curtain and let her rip, she flew across the ring into the audience and gave a few wiggle butts, then I got her on her tug. Yeah, energy.

Gail P
March 24th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Byrd - congratulations! I'd love to get into flyball, but the closest place to me would be over an hour away and I drive a gas guzzler so it would get costly, plus I'm already involved in a couple of other dog sports (disc, sledding) and some horse showing. Unfortunately there has to be a limit. It seems like so much fun though, glad you had a good weekend. :thumbs up

Byrd
March 24th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Limit? What's that? ;)

Flyball is fun... so much fun!

Gail P
March 25th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Limit? What's that? ;)

That's when you are feeding 7 dogs, 2 cats, 5 horses, budgie, 3 rabbits, about 2 dozen chickens and a couple of peacocks and paying for this how? Supposedly by teaching riding lessons, when in fact the lessons are just barely paying for the hay since it's only seasonal. Good thing my hubby has a full time job and I do the budgeting and grocery shopping :laughing: Seriously though, I'd love to have a dog sports club nearby to be able to do more without having to do a lot of traveling. I did buy a flyball box and jumps a few years ago but I haven't done much with it. The one dog that I've taken through 2 sessions of agility classes (and the one I compete with in disc trials) has learned how to trigger the box and get the ball and he thinks it's great, but I've never set up a proper course and he doesn't know how to do a swimmers turn. Maybe some day :fingerscr

Byrd
March 25th, 2008, 04:58 PM
AH, yes, occasionally there does have to be a limit. LOL