Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How did you & the Sig. Other meet?

wAggie
June 20th, 2004, 08:55 PM
just curious :p

glasslass
June 20th, 2004, 09:18 PM
I saw a dusty, dirty car in the school parking lot and wrote "Wash Me" in the dust. This big guy came up behind me and read me the riot act because he had just gotten a $600 paint job (this was 1965!) and couldn't be washed until the paint had "hardened". He made ME wash it! Several months and a lot of dates later, I saw his car in the lot with keys left in. I thought I'd surprise him and wash it while he was in class. When I returned, a police car followed me into the lot. He'd gotten out of class early and reported it stolen! :eek: I was too scared to realize the officer's name tag was the same as my boyfriend's. It was his uncle! I got a life sentence. :D

melanie
June 21st, 2004, 02:19 AM
good topic, comon people, give me loooove stories, oh soooo smoochie :D .
lol, glassy that is funny, true destiny, gosh your a cheeky bugger though :D
we met 6yrs ago in biology (he loves to tell people he picked me up in bio), first uni class i ever went to, and i hated him. we were paired for an experiment and i was not doing it right he said. oh he was bossy, snobby and told me i was crazy (i hate being called crazy, drives me wild but sadly it happens often :( ) and i thought him a complete and utter wa%^&. i actually thought at one stage that if this was university, it was going to suck. and by noon that day we were best mates and totally inseperable, every one thought we were dating but wernt, he had a girlfriend and me a BF for the followng year, well i soon fixed her didnt i :D :p and we have never left each others side since, oh and charlie liked him so that sealed the deal. PS i totally stuffed that experiment (i will never admit it in this life to him though) and he will never let me forget it. i deny, i deny...... :D :D
i saw a friend recently celebrating 25yr anaversary, i asked how they met, well she went to dinner with him on a blind date, he found out where she lived, was there the next day when she returned from work, and he just never went home, literally, he just didnt leave, thank god she liked him :D :D

chico2
June 21st, 2004, 07:20 AM
Oh well how romantic you are Aggie :D
My husband and I met at a bar( :eek: )in Stockholm Sweden,he was a tourist from France on holiday for two weeks.
He now(40yrs later)says he fell in love with my long blond hair :D we spent every evening of his holiday together and when he went back I thought I'd never see him again.He was soooo handsome and the french accent sooo sexy :p
Anyway,we had a communication problem,he did not speak Swedish(he now does)I did not speak french,we were both fluent in German,so thats what we spoke to each other.
I was 17 and he was 18.
Low and behold,a week later he was knocking on our door,saying he loved me and was going to stay,he had quit a good job in France,with a good future just for me.
As things were in Sweden at the time,he had to work in a restaurant as a dishwasher in the beginning,but later got a good job at a newspaper.
Well,I eventually got preggy(bad girl!!)and we got married.A lot happened in our life together and we've been to many places in the world,but many,many years ago decided to leave Sweden.Sweden was prejudiced towards foreign workers and hubby was ambitious,so we came to Canada where he would have a better chance and we did the right thing,he's done very well working for the Toronto Star.
and here we are almost 40 yrs married and although we've had our ups and downs,we know it was our lucky day when we met in a seedy jazz-club in Stockholm.

glasslass
June 21st, 2004, 04:15 PM
So Melanie, you're saying it was all a matter of biology? Sounds like a little chemistry thrown in too. :D And Chico . . . . THAT's romantic! :D Swedish & German - good combination. My husband is Swedish & German. When he screws up I call him "Olaf". Kind of stereotypical of a dumb Swede! The uncle who almost arrested me? He was called "Swede Larson". :p
Waggie, you started this. What's your story? :)

chico2
June 21st, 2004, 04:32 PM
Actually Glassy,hubby is from from France,Swedish-French an even better combination :D

glasslass
June 21st, 2004, 04:49 PM
:eek: Shows you my attention to detail! And I work in a library? :eek: :eek:

wAggie
June 21st, 2004, 06:02 PM
hehehe :o

great stories ladies!!

melanie
June 21st, 2004, 06:23 PM
:D no aggie, he should have taken your beer sipping to mean you were a drunk instead :D :D :D :p

glasslass
June 21st, 2004, 09:29 PM
No . . . . he thought you were beery, beery nice! :D Either that or he thought you were the right gal to train his dog to fetch his beer! :D :D :D

wAggie
June 22nd, 2004, 04:28 PM
:p ladies, u really are too much. lol ;)

Karin
June 22nd, 2004, 09:32 PM
I was feeling sorta left out of this topic until tonight.

My other half called tonight. (We do not live together)

I first met him at a local airport I managed, a small contry airport. He is a crop duster.
That was 23 years ago. The relationship has been on & off like a light switch, in a nice way. I moved away, he married. I almost marry, he divorces. I move back and split up with the almost marry. ..and so on and so on..
We get along great for two old farts set in their ways. It works for us.
Two years ago...and two weeks after my final surgery for breast cancer, my best friend and best half crashed. (Wing came off coming out of a field.)
Thank God he survived, same accident as many others with same make/model but never a survivor. This was a manufacturer defect that caused his accident. So far he has been denied his medical back which is your license to pilot an aircraft, his 35 year business is kaput, yet he still has contracts to fill regardless. Okay, leading up to..
Stress! I think we have it at least once a year.
Men PMS, he does it every year about the onset of spring. (filling those contracts!) So, for about 3 months every year he is pms'ing, I cry. After a month I get going again, knowing he'll call, and still crying. Every year my friends blow me off saying " pfft! Don't hand us any sob story, you know he'll call". I should have it done pat by now.
At least I know he's over it for the next 9 months.

Oh, it does not help that he had to move almost 300 miles away to where his cattle fields are, he had to fall back on something since the primary source of income suddenly left. I opted for staying put .

LavenderRott
June 22nd, 2004, 10:56 PM
Well. You girls (and guys) will love this one.

Many years ago, I worked in fast food management. I was an assistant manager for a large fast food chain that does not sell hamburgers or tacos. I got divorced in April and in August, my whole family went camping outside of Traverse City, Mi. for our family reunion.

Upon my return home, I got a phone call to cover an evening shift at another restaurant. As a newly divorced mother of two, I went to work. Since I had worked at this location before, I knew most of the crew. There was a new young man there though who was incredibly good looking, very intelligent and WAY too young for me. I drove him home from work.

We saw each other a lot after that for a while. I would stop at his store after I got done at mine and I would take him back to his house and we would sit in the car and talk for hours. Sometimes we would go to my house and watch a movie. He would crash on my couch.

This went on for 3 months and then he just dissappeared. Since we had never so much as kissed, it was no big deal.

Then one night right after Christmas, he shows up at my house. His mom got drunk, and kicked him out of his house. He needed a place to hang his hat.

The rest, from there, is history. That was 8 almost 9 years ago. He just turned 27 earlier this month and I am 40. We have a wonderful 6 year old son. No, things have not always been easy. But they sure have been worth it. Who knows, someday we might even get married!

Luba
June 22nd, 2004, 11:12 PM
Wow these are all really wonderful stories!!

There was a new young man there though who was incredibly good looking, very intelligent and WAY too young for me. I drove him home from work

Gotta LOVE that you 'Cougar' you hahaha!

wAggie
June 23rd, 2004, 01:03 AM
LR.. damn woman, u are SOME woman *clap, clap* CONGRATS!! :eek: :p

Karin, can either of u move close to the other in order to reduce this stress? :(

glasslass
June 23rd, 2004, 02:22 PM
LR, that was your greatest rescue! :D Wow! Everybody has a story! My dad had a friend that was a cropduster. They are an independent breed! Lot's of ups & downs! :D Pardon the pun! :D It's amazing how different we all are yet have common interests at heart!

Karin
June 23rd, 2004, 05:13 PM
LR.. damn woman, u are SOME woman *clap, clap* CONGRATS!! :eek: :p

Karin, can either of u move close to the other in order to reduce this stress? :(

I thought about it, for only a minute. I hate South Florida! I was born in Ft. Lauderdale & grew up in Marathon, moved back in the 80's and could not wait to get out of there. It's too crowded for my taste. Also, I have my job here and I will not part with Ciara's vet. I am also friends with a very large Vet community here that helps to provide most of the needed drugs for Ciara at cost. Lee's home base is still here too. He just doesn't make it up here too often unless it's the spring spraying season, which is when he has to hire another pilot to take care of his contracts. He saves money by doing the loading himself. Then he has to return to his many girls. (cows)
The law suit over his accident should come to trial hopefully within 2 years. The FAA & NTSB have already cited "Manufacturer malfunction", the entire line of this type of aircraft is still grounded since the accident. He has two other ones he cannot sell because of this. Not even for parts.
He is only looking to recoop what he has lost in his business, lost revenue, expenses due to their liability (contracts & hiring others to fill contracts) and medical. Once this is over with he will be able to once again hire ranch hands to take care of his girls. Right now, the savings are almost depleted. I am confident life will be back on a some what even keel, sometime.

chico2
June 23rd, 2004, 05:14 PM
LRott,one of my sons who is a strapping handsome 38yrs old is very much in love and living with a wonderful woman who will be 50 next year.
I am very happy for him,the only regret is,no grandchildren and that they live in Alberta :( They have been together for 5 yrs now and I hope they will be together forever.

melanie
June 23rd, 2004, 05:59 PM
yay i love a good looove story oh so smoooochie, yay..
oh lavenderrott, go you good thing, yahoo :D . that is what i like to see :D
chico you are just like mary and frederick, just different countries, well you met in a pub at least :D
karin, one day you will look back and all the stress will be so far away, you will hardly recognise it. you will be so happy one day, i just know it, can feel it in me waters i tells ya :D , you sound like a very strong and tough lady, and nothing can get the better of you, so im sure you will make it to the other side of this mountain, easy. just keep your head up and know you can do anything, look at ciara and always smile, life is too short to frown :D . i send you many happy thoughts and good vibes :)

Catt31
June 23rd, 2004, 06:11 PM
Wow, what awesome stories you guys!!! Makes me want to go mungball Tim!!! hehehehehhe :o

Back in an hour ;)

glasslass
June 23rd, 2004, 07:14 PM
Waggie, this was a good idea. Neat to get a glimpse of everybodys lives. :)

heidiho
June 23rd, 2004, 07:22 PM
Well i cant find a good signifigant other,that is why i got a dog,who actually is trunign out worse than a man.......hee!! hee!!

glasslass
June 23rd, 2004, 09:17 PM
Let the dog pick one out for you. They usually have good instincts about people!

heidiho
June 24th, 2004, 10:14 AM
that is so funny,cause my ex came over last week,he does not care for dogs and ever since he came over damien will not let me pet him,he goes straight to his crate with toys,he cringes when i go to pet him............

Princesss04
June 24th, 2004, 11:07 AM
I have been reading all of your post but have not had the chance to sit down and tell you all my story. So now that I have a minute I and I will tell you. Justin and I have only been married for about 2mts now. We got married on May 1, 2004. We met my freshman year of college. I pulled into the campus parking lot with my dad and parked right beside us was parked a blue mustang (that I love) my dad made the comment there you go you should feel right at home with the owner of this car! LOL So anyway, I did not even met him until the third week of school (becuase I stayed in my room and studied because I was scared) than I got over that and was like why study I am in college. :D So I was down in the pool room and he was in there we were all playing pool. And Justin was like does someone want to go out and throw the football with me and I am always game for any sport so I was like sure. So we went out and played football and talked for like 2 hours. One of the teachers walked past and was like oh I see stars in someone's eyes and I was like whatever and went on. After that we spent as much time together as we could, but the problem was he had a ex girlfriend that went to school there as well and was not over him at all. So every time we were together she made it her bussiness to be over there as well. So we had two banquet (formals) coming up and he asked me to go to them. I wanted to say yes but I also knew that this girl would have loved to get abck together with him so I told him no. I about died but I told him that I was not interested in that way. So I went with someone else and he did not go at all. A few weeks later he left school (at the end of the semster) so I thought oh well I will never see him again, I thought about him and he tried to call me but I thought what was the point it would never work. So we were having our last banquet of the year and he was there doing the caterring. He found me and came up to me and gave me a hug and asked if we could go out for dinner one day and I was like oh sure and I left (before he could get my number). So a few more weeks passed and school was out but I was still living in the area. So I dropped one of my friends off at her work (fast food place) and there he was. We saw each other and talked and before I could leave he asked me to go get icecream and I was like give me a call that is fine. And before I could leave he was like :confused: Can I have your phone # this time. So I gave it to him and thought I would prolly never hear from him and sure enough the next day he called and we went out it is history from there. We were inseparable for the next four weeks than something came up at home and I had to move back home. So now we are faced with a four hour drive. I went home and he called everyday for the next three weeks. Than he came down and met my family and than we started taking turns driving back and forth. I would drive up after I got off work (so I would get there at like 11:00 P.m.) and wait for him at his work that I would stay with him on Friday and Saturday than go to church with him and than drive back home. It got to be that we were misserable all week when we were not together so he asked me to move up to his area. My dad said that was okay so there I went. I lived with a family in his church until we were married. He took me and proposed on the football field at the school where we first met. Than, he took me and we re lived our first date it was so romantic. Than we were married on May 1, 2004 and it has been Heaven every since. Who said that fairy tales could not come true for normal people? If someone did I must have missed it! We are so in love and everyday he makes so magical. :D Well, that is my story. I love to sit and read all of your stories they are so magical and romantic. It makes me want to cry. ;) It is wonderful how you spend your life alone than out of no where God brings someone into your life and you are so totally in love. I have been blessed with a great guy and than we found out we were going to have a baby! So we were all happy and do to some problems we lost it two weeks ago but that is okay because God is control and I will be a mommie when He wants me to be, but for now I am happy and content being a wife! :D

glasslass
June 24th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Neat story! I'm sorry about your baby though. It sound like you have a great attitude and it'll happen! :) I was never a mom, but my pets have satisfied that nurturing instinct. :p

deerclan
June 25th, 2004, 09:18 PM
Hi all

My wife and I met at a farm that i used to own,I was having a bit of a party and a few beers later someone suggested we all go to the barn and ride the pigs.Well all the guys chickened out do to the size of all the pigs.Well of course i stepped up to the plate to ride one of the bigger sows to impress my wife,a few times around the holding pen and very drunk i fell face first in pig poop.Well i guess this must have impressed her so much she asked me out on a date and the rest is history. What a Romantic eh ladies! LMAO
Just dont ask me where i took her on our first date!

Oh and bye the way no pig was hurt or mistreated

DeerClan

melanie
June 25th, 2004, 09:23 PM
deerclan, i bet she checked to see if your face was clean of pig poo before her first kiss though :D

glasslass
June 26th, 2004, 03:12 AM
I remember as a child I was spending the day at the ranch. The hired hand had a pen of pigs. My father caught us in the pen riding them. Boy, was I ever bawled out. I'll never forget my father telling me that pigs can kill and eat a person. :eek: Is that true? :confused: Also remember my uncle saying my father was "onery as pig poop and twice as nasty"! :D

deerclan
June 26th, 2004, 06:17 PM
glasslass....There is some truth to that...Pigs have the strongest bite i know no dog can match a pig bite...and they will eat anything even each other if you let them especially if one of them are sick, the others will gang up the sick one....and eat it.

DeerClan

wAggie
June 26th, 2004, 07:28 PM
gross but true! (to the pig facts! :P)

thanx, y'all for the feed back... keep it coming!! :cool:

anyone willing to share some old stories of how they met their ex's? ;)

:D

LavenderRott
June 26th, 2004, 07:41 PM
gross but true! (to the pig facts! :P)

thanx, y'all for the feed back... keep it coming!! :cool:

anyone willing to share some old stories of how they met their ex's? ;)

:D

Don't remember how I met my ex - but I can tell you about the recurring dream I have about killing him!

wAggie
June 26th, 2004, 08:42 PM
:eek: :eek: that's rough!

one of my x's lived upstairs, while I lived in the bsmt of the house...

I'm not sure how it started, but we ended up sitting around chatting (ONLY) from 10PM til 5PM the next day... needless to say, we both called in sick to work :o

JKC27
July 6th, 2004, 02:54 PM
I met my wife-to-be-to-be (meaning I am going to *bend the knee* as they say real soon) almost 2 years ago. Basically it was a friend of mine who said that he works with this girl who he thought would be good for me. So, it was a blind date kind of. I usually don't do those, but I had been out of the dating scene for pretty much 2 yrs up to that point and figured, sure...why not. The selling point on her was that she was petite (which I just love!), and a huge Toronto Maple Leafs fan (as am I). Met at a local Chapters, went to a show, and well 2 years later life couldnt' be better. That's it in a nut shell.

Prin
March 22nd, 2006, 03:31 AM
Does anybody mind if I revive this thread? I'm procrastinating and a lurker was reading it and I liked it. You all have such sweet stories. I was gonna start a new one, but then I thought, most of the people are still here (and those who aren't are coming back soon :fingerscr ).

Mine isn't as glamourous as yours, but basically, my dad sent me to Ireland for a year and while I was gone, he sold our house and moved into a very well-known condo-ey building near Old Montreal. I lived there off and on, travelling around, snowboarding and working, and then around Christmas 2000, I started talking with one of the security guards. He was nice but he kept telling me stories of his friends getting drunk (I don't drink, so it's not too interesting).

One night, when my chronic bronchitis was keeping me up, I went to walk my old yellow lab and he was working the night shift (he only worked weekends). He said, "Hang on! I just have to put this thing away and I'll come walk with you." So he ran off to put his thing away (I forget what it was), and I took off. :D I disappeared (I'm not good with strange men for sad reasons). I took my doggy for a walk and then took an elevator from another lobby to get up to my dad's apartment. :evil: That was Saturday. The following Thursday, I drove off to Whistler for a few months. He asked my dad where I went, and my dad, being sarcastic even with people he doesn't know, said, "She's in Whistler, doing drugs." :D (I don't do drugs either.)

Anyway, four months later, I came back, totally banged up (I could have died- I had a really bad concussion and a pretty badly broken nose). I was changing my tires in the parking lot and he threw me down a water lily from the second floor and said, "welcome back." :o

About 2 weeks later, I asked him out. He stood me up.

And then we went for a walk and he tried to explain why he stood me up (something about him feeling rejected because I invited friends on our 'date') Two weeks after that walk, I was living with him.:D

And at the end of May, it'll be 5 years, and we have a house and a Jemma and a Boo together.:love:

All I can say about our love story is: it was never easy, but it was/is worth every minute. :)

joeysmama
March 22nd, 2006, 08:10 AM
Prin, I'm glad you brought this thread back. The stories are great.

One Saturday night I was at home, at my parents apartment, and one of my friends was there. We were trying to think of what we wanted to do when another friend came over and asked us to go to a local club with her. She had been at a wedding that day, it had just ended and a bunch of people were going out. she wanted to go too but since she hadn't brought a date to the wedding she didn't want to go alone. So we all went.

While we were there there was a group of guys hanging out together off to one side and we could see them watchig us and talking. One of them was rip roaring drunk and kept hitting on my friend. Really obnoxious. At one point we were debating which one of us was going to douse him with a cold beer over the head.

Anyway, his friend asked me to dance and I said no.

A few minutes later the friend was pointing at me and talking to his other friend and I thought "Oh great, this is about to get really obnoxious." Then he came over and asked me again but in such a polite and charming way that I decided not to hold his drunken friends behavior against him and I danced.

Later I realized that this was huge. He HATES to dance !!! Which is why his buddies stood on the side of the dance floor and laughed. Which didn't make me any too happy at the time, since I didn't know that they had never seen him dance before and figured that they were just being annoying.

I found out that they were there to check out the club because their band was scheduled to play there for the following month.

Well the next month I was there with a friend, having forgotten all about this conversation and the band etc. We stayed a few minutes, the band was on break and we didn't see anyone we knew so we left. As we were getting in the car a guy came to the door and said "Girl, where are you going?" My friend Alyson, who was very silly said something silly in answer and I said "I think I know that guy." So he came over to the car and we talked a few minutes.

The next week I went back to hear them play and loved the band. So we went back every weekend that month.

He asked me out and we dated a few times but it didn't go anywhere. Then a few months later they got a standing job at another place near my town. He came and gave me the "I like you so much I want to see only you." speech.

We dated for 2 and half years and were married almost 25 years ago !! That seems incredible to me !

Skryker
March 22nd, 2006, 09:02 AM
Aw, what a great thread!

Here's my story. I met my husband through a friend-because she was dating him! OOH, sounds bad! :D Not as bad as all that.
My friend had known him for years, even before his first marriage, but had missed her chance with him. So, she started seeing him about 6 months after his divorce and took me to meet him (to see what I thought of him-how ironic) after a couple of weeks. I liked him instantly, which was a surprise, since usually the guys my friends dated, I could barely tolerate. His apartment was full of plants and toddler toys, which he was totally unselfconcious about. So I was impressed and thought "Good for her! It's about time for a decent guy after all those jerks." I was just concerned because he had a small daughter and my friend couldn't stand kids.
He moved in with her after a few months, and things looked good. My friend tried to put up with weekend visits with his little girl. I spent quite a lot of time over at their place and got to know him very well. In fact, I used to sit there and wish I could meet a guy like him :evil: .
Things began to unravel for them when my friend out and out banned his daughter from the house-said she couldn't stand to have a kid around. Bad news! No amount of reasoning with her could get through that if you take the man, you kinda have to take the kid, too. And Kyla was such a sweet and adorable little girl. :sad: So no big surprise that they broke up after about a year or so.
By that time, no big surprise (to anyone but her) that he asked me to dinner after they split. Not a thing ever happened while they were together, but we were both aware of an attraction and a connection. And so were our other mutual friends. It was a source of amusement to them, in fact. I think there might have been a betting pool involved...despite heated denials on both of our parts that there was anything but friendship and admiration. :o
So I took him and his kid, who is my daughter in every way except biology, and he took me and my cat, and nine years later we've added a couple of puppies since nature has been less than obliging with babies. Oh, and she hates both of us completely :D .

Rottielover
March 22nd, 2006, 09:04 AM
Mine was not very interesting either. I just got abandond being 6 weeks pg, and was very low in the ground. Miserable, moping.Trying to cope on being a single mom. Well needless to say a friend of mine invited me toy her party. I did not want to go, but it was better than sitting in the house and crying.
Angel just was spayed, so I did not want to leave her alone ( 6 months) so she came along.
A bit into the night I started feeling sick, so I went to the kitchen and got crakers. Went back to another room. A couple people I knew walked in so I said Hi. Geoff was right behind them.
I went to my friend and asked her who the snob was, she said he was only there to fix her computer. I was like oh.
I was about to go and walk Angel, when I felt something pull my Jacket.
Geoff was trying to get my attention. You are not going out alone, it is Dark and dangerous. So he came along. We talked for hours, and he asked why I was not feeling well, and where my BF was. I told him I was 6 weeks PG, and the ass left. He just sat and hugged me while I cried. We tried living together, it does not work as well as living apart. So we are still together But happier apart if you understand.
I have always been miss independant.
Harley loves him, and he wants to learn how to teach him some tricks.....

lilith_rizel
March 22nd, 2006, 10:54 AM
Well, hubby and I met when we were just tots... lol.. We first met in preschool. And we had some of the same teachers in elementary. In highschool we became friends. The spring of our senior year we started dating, and 9 months later we got married. Had our first kid on our first anniverary and our second kid 10 days before our daughter's first birthday... Not much to our story really... lol... being that we have know each other since we were 4...

jiorji
March 22nd, 2006, 11:30 AM
*sniffle*...oh you guys...these are lovely stories...too bad I can't contribute with anything.

Can I make one up??lol

Rick C
March 22nd, 2006, 11:48 AM
Mrs. C and I worked at the same newspaper . . . . . she chased me until I caught her.

I still remember the night we "outed" ourselves to our co-workers, showing up hand in hand at a bush party of all things.

Almost 23 years later, married for almost 21 . . . .

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

deerclan
March 22nd, 2006, 01:23 PM
well i havn't seen this thread in awhile and almost totally forgot about it.
this is great to see it back and some new stories

Take Care Everyone
DeerClan

Sunkist/Winnie
March 22nd, 2006, 01:41 PM
I met my husband through a friend. I had just broke up with a boyfriend and my friend didn't want me to spend the night alone so he invited me out with a few people who were going to dinner. Warren was there.

We spent the summer meeting as a group every Friday for dinner. At the end of the summer we ended up going away as a group. Warren and I got into a huge pillow fight that night, and stayed up most of the night talking as everyone else faded away.

He loves to tell people that he kicked my butt in a pillow fight and that's how he won my heart...but really it was the email he sent 2 days later that said "would you like to go out for tea sometime...wait I'll call and ask" it was just so cute.

We've been together ever since drinking tea :)

joeysmama
March 22nd, 2006, 04:07 PM
Skryker, I just LOVED your story. I'm not just happy for you but also for Kyla. You saved her from the ultimate wicked step-mother. It sounds as though being thoroughly hated by that woman is a compliment. A sign of good character. Good for you !!!

chico2
March 22nd, 2006, 04:35 PM
Anybody wants to read my story will have to go back to page 1...boy that was written in 2004,time flies:D

Luvmypit
March 22nd, 2006, 05:01 PM
Awesome thread!

Some really nice stories here. Mine is not so much romantic but i will tell it.

I worked in Scarborough Town Centre at a retail store called Purple Planet (its gone now). I met a friend who is now my best friend. We hung out and one day she asked me to go to a party with her. It was a house party. Anyways this guy that my friend knew started bothering me at the party. Purposely being annoying and clearly trying to get a rise out of me. i was sniping back at him. This seemed to make him happy. I moved around the house, outside over and over and he followed me each and every time, annoying me and trying to push my buttons. I really thought what a jerk. That was that and I left. Suddenly he started showing up at my work claiming to just be in the mall and dropped by to see my friend (he is best friends with her brother). funny thing is I never seen him before yet he showed up at our work 3 out of my 5 working days. Sometimes we all would go out for a smoke. I kinda ignored him when he came in or let my friend chat it up when we broke for a smoke break.

One day I went with my friend to Jack Astors and he and her brother showed up, and then his girlfriend showed up. They stood around and I saw her kiss him. I got jealous and thought why? I did think he was freaking hot. After she left he was all over me. I thought what a pig. But one day after work I called my girlfriend and he was there hanging with her brother. He asked if it was me and asked that I take his number. I thought ahh no. So he asked for my phone # and I said how about my pager #. So I gave it to him and he paged me that night. I didnt know who it was. I called and he was at a bar with friends. Honestly I kept asking what am i doing? He has a girlfriend.
But we talked for hours and I thought that is it I am cutting him off. I did not return his pages, although I wanted to. Finally my friend said that he had been bugging her as to why I wouldnt call him anymore. So I did and we went to a bar to have a drink. (BTW we are not alcoholics...lol) He told me he has a daughter who is 5. We talked about everything, we stayed at the bar till closing time. He then invited me for dinner and a movie. I said ok and he said that he really liked me and that he had called it off with the other girl whther or not I was interested. I didnt believe him so he let me listen to messages from her, she was upset and crying about him leaving her (they dated for a month, get over it).
One day we were at a friends, we had been dating for 3 months but I really fell for this guy. Needless to say he gave me the I love you speech and now we are engaged, own a house, a dog (capone aka known as pony boy), a daughter (step) who lives with us solely and just got engaged. Are anniversary is in may and it will be 5 years!

I do know that the one thing I loved about him and appealed to me was his love for his daughter. Back then we both liked to party but no matter what party or shindig was going on he never missed a weekend with his daughter or during the week visits. He was such a loving dad. That is all. Sorry seems long.. I apoligize for rambling on.

cpietra16
March 22nd, 2006, 05:49 PM
I met my husband in university. It was a halloween dance. He was dressed like a devil and I was dressed like a man in tuxedo and full beard. He said he fell for my blue eyes and not my manliness. He found out by a mutual friend that I was from Quebec so he assumed that I spoke very little english so all night he spoke very loud and very slowly or not at all.....I guess you know what I thought at this time:yuck: THIS GUY IS NOT THE SHARPEST KNIFE IN THE DRAWER, IS HE??? He finally found the guts to ask me to dance....in a very slow way. When we finally made it to the dance floor they were playing "O Canada"...IT was the end of the dance...but since it would take him another hour to tell me its not a real song....in very slow english..he decided to just keep dancing. After the dance I looked at him and very slowly said...Thank-you that was very patriotic of you and I guess I will see you around campus...good night:D ...His mouth just stayed opened for the longest time...and still is:D Anyway we were married in 91 and still going....

Prin
March 22nd, 2006, 06:17 PM
Great stories!!! No regrets for reopening this one.;)

Needless to say he gave me the I love you speech and now we are engaged, own a house, a dog (capone aka known as pony boy), a daughter (step) who lives with us solely and just got engaged.So did you get engaged?:D

Writing4Fun
March 22nd, 2006, 07:54 PM
CPietra, my hubby and I were also married in '91! Good year. ;) Hot, though! We were married in July. I believe our anniversary still holds the record high for that day. Hubby's rental car broke down on the way to church, our horse & buggy got lost on the way to pick me up, there was major gridlock across the whole island of Montreal because of all the cars breaking down left, right and centre, so most of our wedding party as well as the band were stuck on the Decarie and had to be rescued via the service road. What fun! :rolleyes:

We met when I was about 14. A mutual friend of ours was trying to fix him up with my cousin. When they were to meet for the first time, she asked me to go along for moral support. He claims that he fell for me as soon as he saw me and begged his friend to introduce him to "the other one" instead. :D Which is just as well. He would have been miserable with my cousin. :p

cpietra16
March 22nd, 2006, 08:33 PM
W4F...I got married in July too....I remember the heat and how I took off my nylons and put on kneehighs...very sexy. We got married at the old cathedral in old montreal....We had a whole bunch of Japanese tourists who stopped in to take pictures...It was fun. We got a lot of pictures in our wedding album that we still have no ideas who's family they're from:D

jesse's mommy
March 22nd, 2006, 09:12 PM
Well here is our story. Jim and I used to work together. We hit it off as great friends, but I said to him and everyone else that he would be a terrible boyfriend and I wouldn't date him if he was the last man on Earth. :o As I said he was great as a friend, but as a boyfriend I saw the way he treated girls (rather disrespectful for my taste) and it was the biggest turnoff. For about a year we were close friends. I kept finding girls for him to date, who all turned out to be psychotic, but I swear I didn't do that on purpose. I was dating other guys. I would ask him questions about why guys did what they did and he would ask my why girls did what they did. Then I was dating this guy and though we didn't date long he kind of hurt me -- not because of us being close or anything, but his reason on breaking up with me (another story for another thread) and he said, let's get away. He was coming to Florida to spend the weekend with his friends and he said, "Come on, it'll be fun". So I decided to go. We were here with his friends and two out of three of his friends were hitting on me and he didn't like it and put a stop to it real fast. We've been together ever since (five years this June)! I think the thing that makes us different is because we were friends for a year before that and we had a respect for each other and really knew each other, so there were no surprised with us. Besides, I wouldn't put up with his BS and he knows it. :p

joeysmama
March 22nd, 2006, 09:17 PM
That's funny about the pictures. I had worked in a Bamberger's years ago, before they were bought by Macy's, and the fitting room checker was a sweetheart of a lady who came to the church to see me get married. I can't recall her name now but she's in our pictures with her daughter and grandbaby and I always think how nice it was of her to drive there to see the wedding.

Recently we looked at some pictures and remembered all the people who are no longer with us. Grandparents, our fathers, the preacher who married us, my nephew, and our best man. It was bittersweet, but very nice to have those photos.

And the little ones in the pictures are mostly all mommies and daddies themselves now. Today I bought some frames so I can put more photos around the house.

I love this thread ! It's making me feel sentimental in a happy way !! :love:

papillonmama
March 22nd, 2006, 09:26 PM
What a nice thread. :)
We lived almost next door to each other. If I remember correctly, three doors down. Strange really, it was fate, I had seen him several times before actually meeting him (oddly enough, not in front of our houses), in different places, a parade, a pet store, downtown. When we finally met through a friend we were wracking our brains until we figured it all out.
I just knew he was the one, everything I was looking for in a man, tidy, (I was having trouble with my disgusting roommate), reliable, not a free-loader (seemed to be a trend for me at the time, darn scrubs), an honest guy. Sometimes I still freak him out with my forwardness, he's a big shy quiet kinda guy, I love that.
Time flies so fast, our twins are two, so that means we've been together 5 years now, 6 in November.

joeysmama
March 22nd, 2006, 09:46 PM
Jesse's mommy--my mother said the exact same thing to my father. She said she wouldn't go out with him if he was "the last man on earth !!!"

They were in high school and he was the big man on campus. Football star, class president, track star, honor student. She was shy, quiet, a wall flower type, and not at all interested in him. So of course this intrigued him greatly.

A few years later her father had pretty much grounded her from dating because she was dating boys whose families he didn't know and he told her she could only date boys from town. She ran into my father who was a war hero by then. (I know he sounds like a too good to be true type--he was really something though !!) and she got past her shyness and got him to ask her out again.

I always knew my parents loved one another but they weren't physically affectionate in front of us ever. I remember being shocked one time because I saw them holding hands on the boardwalk when I was little.

But recently my mother gave me some old photos and the ones they sent one another during the war had love letters on the back of them---REALLY STEAMY LOVE LETTERS !!!

Oh my !!!

jesse's mommy
March 22nd, 2006, 09:52 PM
My grandparents had one of those too good to be true relationships too. My grandmother was sitting in a soda shop with her friend and this tall gentleman walked in, still in his military uniform, and my grandmother looked up and said to her friend "that's the man I'm going to marry". My grandfather said he fell in love with her legs. Every occassion that they experienced together, whether it was a birthday or an anniversary or just because, my grandfather would right my grandmother the most beautiful love letters and would just express how much he loved and appreciated her. They had such an amazing love affair, until he passed away from cancer in 2002. It was heartbreaking for all of us and my grandmother still cries everyday. On her good days we tell her that she should try meeting people, maybe find a nice gentleman friend and she won't do it. She had one true love in her life and that's it. She's waiting for the day to be with him again. It's just amazing, but it upsets me that one day I will lose her too.

joeysmama
March 22nd, 2006, 10:06 PM
That's so sweet !! I hope your grandmother finds comfort and that you have her for many years !!

Prin
March 22nd, 2006, 10:10 PM
Aww that's so sweet. Grandparents in love are the cutest. My grandmother wasn't so lucky, IMO... She had two Rays. One Ray was attractive and exciting and the other Ray was polite and hard-working. She went with her head instead of her heart and married the polite one. I found letters when I was painting her house, and they weren't love letters at all. :( He yelled at her because she came home from the hospital with my dad on the bus when he had left money for a taxi (she didn't feel the need to waste money on a taxi). He yelled all the time.

When he got a disease similar to Alzeimers, they put him in a nice hospital on the river. She visited every day, out of duty (IMO). And then, the other Ray came back on the scene. He volunteered at the hospital just to see her. He drove her home nearly every day. He made her smile. I'd joke with her like, "Are you gonna kiss him or what?" and she'd blush like crazy. She died pretty quick of ovarian cancer, but the few months where the "Other" Ray lit up her life made mine. Even Grandmothers can have a new shot at romance.:)

Before she died, I asked her if she had any regrets and she said, "I wish I had danced more." :)

joeysmama
March 22nd, 2006, 10:34 PM
Oh that's sweet and sad at the same time ! I'm glad that she at least had the good Ray for a time. Everyone needs a "Movie moment" in their life. You know? That romantic, big screen kiss? It sounds as though she got hers. :love:

Prin
March 22nd, 2006, 10:37 PM
heh heh.. I broke up with mine a long time ago.:D Kidding. I have that movie feeling every day.. Except it's more of a slapstick comedy.:highfive:

Byrd
March 22nd, 2006, 10:40 PM
I'm not married, but I met my boyfriend on plentyoffish.com.

I was getting pretty frustrated so I changed my profile to state that, took off all restrictions, etc. Well, he contacted me just to state that 'yes, people can be very rude, but it's better to find out now than after you meet them'. I wrote back an obligatory 'yeah, I agree'. He wrote back, I wrote back, and we kept going and I was laughing by the third e-mail. I gave him my MSN info, and we have talked/typed everyday since then (Jan 15). We met two weeks after we started talking and only see each other on weekends (he lives an hour away), but that is just fine with me.

Prin
March 22nd, 2006, 10:41 PM
I was wondering how that was going. I hope he's treating you right.;)

joeysmama
March 22nd, 2006, 10:44 PM
LOL on the comedy. I gave my husband a card one time that said "You're the answer to my prayers" . The inside said "You're not what I prayed for exactly, but apparently you're the answer !"

Ah well. Real life is pretty darn good too !

AliSam
March 23rd, 2006, 11:55 AM
I actually met my spouse's sister first in 1984. We met in the library club (I know this would make me kind of a geek). We became friends for the year. The next year, (grade 8) she went to a different school and I never saw her again. The funny thing is, my spouse was in my Grade 8 class but neither one of us remember that (The school yearbook gave us away). In Grade 9 (1986), we both went to a different high school so that was that.

Midway through high school, my Mom started working with who is now my mother-in-law. At the time, I didn't know that she was the mother of my old friend and past classmate. Our families got together socially and that is when I saw my old friend again. It is definitely a small world. My soon to be spouse was actually seriously involved with another girl at the time. We went to my high school prom together as friends (kind of as a favour for both of our parents). After that, we only saw each other when our families got together. I went to college for a couple of years and started working in the meantime.

My soon to be spouse broke up with his girlfriend when she went away to university. We started dating soon after. 3 years or so later, we bought a house and got married. There really wasn't any proposal. We went out to find a place to live together and ended up buying a brand new home. That night, he called me and said "I guess we should get married." The sapphire ring he purchased for me for my birthday in September 1998 became my engagement ring since he didn't really have any money at the time and what he did have had to now go into the new house. We eloped in May 1999 (again because we didn't have any money for a wedding). Now my friend in public school is now my sister-in-law. She is married (I was maid of honour before I even started dating her brother) & has 3 beautiful children - my nieces & nephew.

Luvmypit
March 23rd, 2006, 12:34 PM
Prin, Yes got engaged about 3 weeks ago!

Love these stories I am getting all teary eyed reading them. Good for repopening. More stories people come on!!!

Melei'sMom
March 23rd, 2006, 06:38 PM
aww all these stories are so sweet. :love:
Makes my story sound even more tawdry:D

warning! no children readers please:eek:

I was with my first husband, and we were having some major problems for awhile, so we decided to split. Well we had been sleeping in seperate rooms for almost a year...so guess what else I was missing lol. So after the break-up, and on the advice of a well meaning freind, that weekend I went out and picked up a guy to get it out of my system and then decide if I wanted to 'jump back on the horse' as she put it.

So I picked up Randy, turnsout he had been watching me for a long time so it was easy...and so was I that night!:evil:

We will have our 10th wedding anniversary this July;)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
March 23rd, 2006, 08:49 PM
My friend was actually trying to set me up with this guy that she worked with and she kept going on and on about this guy for ages, Nothing ever happened with it - I finally asked her about and she said well I changed my mind he's really not a good person for you - turns out he drank a lot etc etc.

Anyways a few months later- she wanted to set me up with another guy (blind date) which I wasnt into - but he called and I said I would meet him for coffee with friends. Just in case I needed to escape. To make a long story short we went for dinner - and I had like 8 beers. We then went back to his place and talked all night - I then made him drive me home at five in the morning.

A few months after we were dating, his roommate whom I also got along well with said to me. Remember the guy that your friend was supposed to set you up with before - well he said I'm that guy. Talk about awkard moment. :o

Writing4Fun
March 23rd, 2006, 09:51 PM
So I picked up Randy, turnsout he had been watching me for a long time so it was easy...and so was I that night!:evil:
:eek: :eek: Oh, my! :eek: :eek: There's a story I bet you won't be telling the grandkids! :D

SarahLynn123
March 24th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Mines not all that interesting, we work together:o But my parents.....

My mom was really drunk and she and her friend (her sober friend) drove past the army barracks at about 3am and yelled out the window "ANYONE WANT TO GO FOR PIZZA?" Two young men came running out, jumped the fence and went for pizza! My Mom married one of them and they will be celebrating their 26th wedding anniversary this year.

Skryker
March 24th, 2006, 06:26 PM
More great stories! I love it. Keep 'em coming!

Skryker
March 24th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Skryker, I just LOVED your story. I'm not just happy for you but also for Kyla. You saved her from the ultimate wicked step-mother. It sounds as though being thoroughly hated by that woman is a compliment. A sign of good character. Good for you !!!

To be fair, she was an only child and never had anything to do with kids. Also grew up in a totally messed up household. Basically, she and my guy were just utterly and completely wrong for each other. Their trains of emotional baggage collided in a firey orb that could be seen from orbit. :D

But her loss is my gain...and Kyla benefitted, too!

phoenix
March 24th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Well, here's my story... I'll try to make it short!
It was my first year as a lead teacher for science, and the first day of school, when I received a note in my mailbox at work that a new teacher would be starting in my department. He had been hired over the weekend as a last minute replacement, and had no time to prepare anything, and could I help him out? It was the last thing that I needed; first days are always stressful for teachers! But, I waited in the office for him. He thought I was a supply teacher, and I had to tell him in fact I was his department head. Later, I was assigned to be his mentor at work, and he volunteered to help me coach my boys basketball team. We spent tons of time together as friends over term, and the kids on the team teased us a lot. After the staff Christmas party, things started to heat up a bit and I asked him if he wanted to be more than friends- I was especially worried since we had to work so closely together. He said no, that he didn't think it was a good idea. Then, he went back to Ottawa for the holidays.
I met a guy at a New Years party and started to date him over the next few weeks. When my teacher friend came back from holidays, he asked me to go to the movies, or dinner, and eventually I had to tell him that I was dating someone. He seemed hurt and I was pretty confused since I had really tried to move on. Then, on a Friday night, we were out with friends and he took me aside and asked, "am I really too late?" and I said no and we kissed for the first time. We've been together since, but we kept it a secret at work for a year. We were those 2 teachers the kids always whisper about... do you think Ms M and Mr C are a couple?? hehe. We were married Christmas 2004.

Frenchy
March 24th, 2006, 09:24 PM
I've meet him over the internet,almost 3 years ago.At first,there was only his description,later on I saw his picture,dark long blond hair,or light red.I had to drive 2 hours to meet him.He was so nice,I brought him home the first night,I got in the bath with him and let him sleep on the bed with me...OK OK his name his Bailey and he's a golden retriever.Hey,that's the only way I could contribute to this thread!But one of my ex had long red hair!Lasted 3 years,that was my longest relationship.:sorry:

Writing4Fun
March 24th, 2006, 09:36 PM
:D I like your story the best so far, Frenchy. :D :thumbs up

jesse's mommy
March 24th, 2006, 10:00 PM
I've meet him over the internet,almost 3 years ago.At first,there was only his description,later on I saw his picture,dark long blond hair,or light red.I had to drive 2 hours to meet him.He was so nice,I brought him home the first night,I got in the bath with him and let him sleep on the bed with me...OK OK his name his Bailey and he's a golden retriever.Hey,that's the only way I could contribute to this thread!But one of my ex had long red hair!Lasted 3 years,that was my longest relationship.:sorry:

Frenchy I thought this was a hot steamy soap opera! It made me laugh out loud.

Skryker
March 25th, 2006, 01:00 PM
:eek: Frenchy! I thought the thread was about to get X-rated!:evil:

Frenchy
March 25th, 2006, 02:11 PM
X-rated,me?Never!:angel:

jesse's mommy
March 25th, 2006, 06:51 PM
X-rated,me?Never!:angel:

Yeah right, more like :evil:

Bearsmom
March 27th, 2006, 07:59 AM
I met my SO on the ball diamond. I was recruited to play for his team, the first game I'm on the bench waiting to meet everyone, in walks this TALLLLL drink of water, totally not my usual type, he grunts a hello. IDIOT, I figure. First play of the game, he's in the outfield, batter cracks a one hopper at him, I'm playing second base, batter figures I'll never get the ball so tries to run from first base to second base. SO FIRES the ball at me (people forgot to tell me he used to play men's "A" division ball), I get the ball and tag the runner out at second base! SO comes over, grunts "nice catch" at me. IDIOT, I figure again.

TWO YEARS later, we're still on the same team, he's slightly warmed up to me, chats a wee bit. When we won the division, a few beers later, he plunks himself down next to me, and starts talking! Seven years later, he still hasn't shut up! heheheee

*ps he says he didn't talk to me because he thought I was so beautiful, and beautiful girls who can play ball scare the ***** outta him. :D

Prin
March 27th, 2006, 02:33 PM
TWO YEARS later, we're still on the same team, he's slightly warmed up to me, chats a wee bit. When we won the division, a few beers later, he plunks himself down next to me, and starts talking! Seven years later, he still hasn't shut up! heheheee
lol Good story.:)