Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mister Sick??

want4rain
March 19th, 2008, 02:36 PM
last night there was something stuck between the boards of the deck that he was just in a frenzy to get at. never did figure out what it was. probably squirrel poop?? anyways, it was his once biweekly fasting night so he didnt have dinner other than the cat clean up, which turns out to not be much. about 4am he pukes on the floor, twice. it was thin, white and really foamy. we let him out to go potty and get a drink. he puked the white foamy stuff up again. from then on he was up and down and sitting and laying and up and wiggling like he just couldnt get comfortable. 6:30am finally rolled around and Chris and i decided to just get out of bed. all this time he just wasnt interested in drinking anything which had it been ME i woudl have wanted that taste out of my mouth!! i left for work at 8:30 and he was at least sleeping then. came home at 10:50 (they let me out early!) and he looked a little better. no more barf but stil hadnt had a drink (we offered a plastic bowl, metal bowl and a ceramic bowl just in case). i gave the vet a call and they said we could bring him in for blood work but that can wait to see how the weekend goes. give him really bland food like rice or noodles or potatoes (probably do all three for 3 days???? what you think??) and see if that doesnt help. i can give him some Pepsid, make sure he poops and pees and we will see how things go from there.

well he has pooped and peed and is bounding aorund with his usual enthusiasm. we had labs done a few months ago and they looked fantastic. could he start having a pancreas problem that would come to a head this early after getting lab work done??

those who are raw feeders, should i go with a rice diet for a few days?? fast for a few days? i know PitGrrl just asked this question...... :o

-ashley

OnelnAMiII25
March 19th, 2008, 02:40 PM
When Gianna gets sick.. we boil chicken and mix that with rice. Small amounts. That seems to work. Pepcid also works. We give her that too! (well we give it to her everyday)

OnelnAMiII25
March 19th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Also, i'm not a vet, but i do have a dog with pancrease problems.... and with her, she doesn't throw up b/c of her pancrease problem. She has really soft, liquid stools b/c of it. So I don't think thats the problem.

Kristin7
March 19th, 2008, 03:43 PM
When my previous dog had an attack of pancreatitis (that's what the vet's thought it was anyway), she was throwing up a lot, and couldn't hold anything down, not even water. She also was very lethargic. Is your dog otherwise fine? If so, probably he just ate something that didn't agree with him. I'm not a raw feeder so don't really have food suggestions, except it won't hurt him to not eat for a couple days. Hope he feels better soon!

want4rain
March 19th, 2008, 04:03 PM
it won't hurt him to not eat for a couple days. Hope he feels better soon!

with his love handles?? naw, it wont hurt anything. :)

he was very wiggly, *not* lethargic so you are probably right. i think im going to fast him today (it just happens we havent even fed him the kids 'cast off', convenient). he DID poop a yellowy poop but ive seen Jeffrey poop the same color with no ill effects. it wasnt abnormal, just a little yellow. firm though, not runny in the slightest.

-ashley

want4rain
March 19th, 2008, 07:45 PM
yeah... fasting lasted real long... he had some gingerbread cake already. i dont usually give him things like that but... he looks so HUNGRY!!

-ash

OnelnAMiII25
March 19th, 2008, 09:08 PM
We also used to do with Gianna, I forgot. (the skipping a meal) It would break my heart. skipping want to do it to her, but my mom (who works for the vet made me) But it worked, and was able to eat at the next meal (we would keep her on the boiled chicken and rice for another day)

Good luck!!