Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

That's it! The counter situation is getting out of hand.

ancientgirl
March 19th, 2008, 12:24 PM
When Vlad first started jumping on my counter, at my other place I tried to stop him from doing so. It didn't work, so I figured, well okay, it's no big deal. It's a pretty big counter and where he hangs out is pretty far from the stove. Which was where I prepared the food.

Okay, then Oksana comes into the picture and she one day figured out she could also get on the counter. I thought, okay no big deal. It's not like they aren't going to jump up there when I'm not home so I can deal with the two of them.

NOW Tiny Miss Kiska has been jumping on the counter. She goes around to the dining room and jumps from the exercise machine to the pass through and of course on the counter. One at a time I can deal with, but I can't handle trying to prepare food with 3 cats up on the counter.:yell:

First there's the safety issue. When I try to cut something they want to get right in there and sniff and look at and poke. I'm afraid they'll get cut. Not to mention the stove. I have to stay in the kitchen. I can't just boil water and throw pasta in the sauce pan. I'm afraid they'll try to stick their nose or paw in the hot water. Or try to touch the stove when I've shut it off. I have a gas stove, so the fire aspect is frightening too.

Second, I can't get anything done! It took me 10 minutes yesterday to make a simple sandwich. I kept having to move the bread, and put one down on the floor then go back, then trying to keep them from eating my bread, cheese, ham, etc...

Thank goodness Maks doesn't jump up there. He pretty much just stays on the floor, but I imagine he'll want to get up there eventually. Maks is jumper kitty. He jumps from the stairs to the couch, which is a good 5 or 6 feet, and the same with my bed, from the ledge to the bed.

I read someone here had bought some Ssscat and I'm really thinking I need to get my hands on this stuff. I don't mind them being on the other side of the counter, hell, if I had a larger counter it would be different. I'm actually thinking of getting myself one of those little rolling islands. That might actually be a good idea. I can leave them to the counter and use that to do my food prep on.

I hate ranting like this. I feel guilty because I love them so dearly, but these kitty's are driving me crazy! It's not helping that I've still got a head cold and my allergies are driving me crazy. I didn't have enough money to get my Singulair so I'm using Zyrtec which isn't as affective on me alone. These next two weeks are going to be very interesting.

Kristin7
March 19th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Yes, I have some 'helpers' who like to observe my cooking, too! It used to really bother me to have cats on the counters, until I got a dog and started feeding my cat on top of the 'fridge to keep it out of reach (back in the free-feeding days). Now, I just accept it :shrug: I do however, draw the line while I'm prepping food. I've found that cats actually do respond to a firm no, especially if I push them off at the same time. Eventually they give up... but now, my counter jumper, she will try to get up, but not much and then spends the rest of her efforts trying to trip me up while she lays down by my feet, or in front of the 'fridge door, or even pesters me to pick her up by meowing and pawing at my legs, pleading with her sad eyes. So now, sometimes I do and just make food and hold her at the same time. I think I need one of those Baby Bjorn things! :laughing:

Love4himies
March 19th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I guess I am lucky, it is very rarely that my cats jump up on the counter, but there was a time when Snowball was around :evil::evil:, he was always up on the counter. Puddles was trainable to a point, Snowball wasn't. I couldn't do any food prep directly on my counter.

Jasper and Sweet Pea came trained:D.

As for Maks, it is just a matter of time watching his mentor Vlad jump up before he does. :laughing:

Can't get anything done, I know how you feel, I had 7 kittens trying to jump up on the counter, it was like a conveyor belt of kittens, one jumping up, me puting it down just as another jumps up.:laughing::laughing: I miss my fosters:sad:. (and umm, the belly kisses the fosters got when they jumped up didn't work, so don't bother with that punishment).

Jim Hall
March 19th, 2008, 12:46 PM
lmao get cat down cat bad cat gonna chop your tail off by accident omg cat tail in my lasange

seriously you got to train em or put up a fence i had to do that with a few it just too dangwerous when your cooking and as you say a simple sandwich wil tkae a half hour and you might have only bread left

ps didnt mean to make fun i needed a lugh and that was soo funny

ancientgirl
March 19th, 2008, 12:49 PM
:laughing:I have visions of Lucy and Ethel at the chocolate factory, only this time it's cats.

Seriously, I've got to put my foot down. They're usually good with the "NO" but there's something about that counter that calls to them. Now, if I could train them to actually prepare the food for me I wouldn't complain.

ancientgirl
March 19th, 2008, 12:51 PM
lmao get cat down cat bad cat gonna chop your tail off by accident omg cat tail in my lasange

seriously you got to train em or put up a fence i had to do that with a few it just too dangwerous when your cooking and as you say a simple sandwich wil tkae a half hour and you might have only bread left

ps didnt mean to make fun i needed a lugh and that was soo funny

LOL, when you take a step back it is a comical situation, but frustrating too. It's like you have to laugh or else you'll cry, it's so frustrating.

clm
March 19th, 2008, 12:53 PM
I spend my life washing the kitchen counter. Only Gabby jumps up on it, but she won't be deterred. If I'm cooking, she has to go down in the basement until I'm done.
Mookie, Squeak and Max have never even thought about jumping up on it, but Gabby considers it a prime location. :laughing:

Cindy

phoozles
March 19th, 2008, 12:58 PM
The Ssscat has worked wonders for me - the refill ran out (because we were getting sprayed more than the kitties - it seems as though WE are the ones that won't learn :laughing:), but now if we just make the SSSS sound, they jump.

It's such a relief to be able to make food (even their food) without them all over the place.

ancientgirl
March 19th, 2008, 01:05 PM
That's great. I really just need to put it on one side of the counter, and while I'm at it, I need to get them to stop clawing at the couch. They've got scratching posts and other stuff but they can't stay away from the couch. I may as well try to start keeping them away from that too.

But the counter is my main focus.

krdahmer
March 19th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I had a scare with Palomine a while back, I was boiling his eggs on the stove and I caught him up on the tiny piece of counter next to the stove!:eek: Right next to the boiling pot! Needless to say he got a very stern no (well more of an omg-panicky what-a-horrible-cat-mommy-I-am... no) and a good spray from the spray bottle. I'm lucky that the only counter that really has space for them is the one on the other side of the kitchen where just the sinks are. Actually I feed Buddy up there on purpose to keep him away from Smoke so that she'll eat. My guys are pretty good, they've learned where they can and cannot come beg for scraps... and I'm starting to train them (again with water bottle) not to be anywhere near the microwave when it is being used. (it sits on a cart that they like to also sit on). They're just nosy and always want to be with us, especially if something smells good! :rolleyes: You just have to train them to know when it's ok and when it's not, if that doesn't work, it's definitely safer for them not to go up at all.... of course when we are asleep, I know, for a fact, that they go wherever they darn well please anyhow!

That sscat thing is pretty genius though... I should have them on each of my fish tanks!:laughing:

SARAH
March 19th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Misti comes if I have raw chicken or ground beef. Spoutnik comes regardless! Both will go away after having a taste of whatever I'm making :D

ancientgirl
March 19th, 2008, 02:46 PM
I had a scare with Palomine a while back, I was boiling his eggs on the stove and I caught him up on the tiny piece of counter next to the stove!:eek: Right next to the boiling pot! Needless to say he got a very stern no (well more of an omg-panicky what-a-horrible-cat-mommy-I-am... no) and a good spray from the spray bottle. I'm lucky that the only counter that really has space for them is the one on the other side of the kitchen where just the sinks are. Actually I feed Buddy up there on purpose to keep him away from Smoke so that she'll eat. My guys are pretty good, they've learned where they can and cannot come beg for scraps... and I'm starting to train them (again with water bottle) not to be anywhere near the microwave when it is being used. (it sits on a cart that they like to also sit on). They're just nosy and always want to be with us, especially if something smells good! :rolleyes: You just have to train them to know when it's ok and when it's not, if that doesn't work, it's definitely safer for them not to go up at all.... of course when we are asleep, I know, for a fact, that they go wherever they darn well please anyhow!

That sscat thing is pretty genius though... I should have them on each of my fish tanks!:laughing:

Yep, it's happened to me many times. The other day I was watching TV and I heard something odd in the kitchen. I walked in and Vlad was walking on the stove! He knows he's NOT to be there, none of them. Whenever I see them even going near it I say NO and clap my hands then physically push them back. Of course, since I wasn't looking as you said, they think it's a free for all.

It's my own fault, but before it was manageable, but now with 3 of them up there at the same time, and 4 in the future it's just not a good situation.

kit1469
March 19th, 2008, 04:57 PM
i had the same problem for awhile .. they were horrible for being everywhere lol .. but now they no they canonly go certain places at certain times ... EX:

they arent allowed on the counter when im doing dishes ( they thought making mommy re wash dishes was the best game in the world ) .. so now they have to ask to be put on the window ledge so that they can "supervise" lol

they are NEVER allowed on the stove -- satis burnt her paw really bad when she was just old enough to get up there :( :( she still has the scars ...

and they cant be on the counters table etc when its people feeding time ..

unfortunately i went away for awhile and my mom was watching them for me and of course playing the good "grandma: she spoiled them rotten lol so ive been having some troubles but im sure they will smarten up when they are done being mad at me hahaha ..

................ Now if i could only get cleo to stay out of the fridge lol ..........

anyway point is i agree that teaching them when they can and cant do it works rather well ...

CearaQC
March 19th, 2008, 05:16 PM
Stealth method... LOL

Go out of the kitchen. Wait until they are on the counter and busy sniffing something. Enter kitchen real fast, clap really loud and say something.

When Linx tried the counter bit, I did this and would say loud "caught ya red handed!!" Or do a monster scary sound.

He didn't like getting startled and it cured him of counter jumping real fast. Hasn't done it since.

Chibi
March 19th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I sort of know how you feel - whenever I am in the kitchen, cooking or doing dishes Guinness will trot over and just flop down on my feet for a snooze. If I move, he will get up, stretch, and then do it again! I am constantly tripping over him. :laughing: Animals just want to be a part of every aspect of your life! (Especially if they can smell potential treats in the air...)

ancientgirl
March 19th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Oh boy, I've got fridge jumpers too. I'm going to try and get them to stop getting on the counter next week. I'll be on vacation and don't plan on going anywhere, so being here I can hopefully concentrate on taking away some of their bad habits.

But I won't hold my breath.