Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

GTA Agility Training?

Spatx
March 19th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I live in Richmond Hill, ON and have been going insane. (okay , not really :P But I'm equally as frustrated.)

I'm desperately trying to find a trainer in the area to take advanced agility with. I have an Australian Shepherd I want to compete with, but backyard training can only get us so far. I've been trying for years now to get involved in agility, but I always feel like nobody cares about me, and no one wants to share information. When your young and trying to get involved, it feels like nobody is taking me seriously.

I tried getting into agility with my first dog when I was about 12, and came across some very rude people that turned me off. I'm still running into the same attitudes even now. I don't understand it. :shrug: People have basically told me I know nothing and can't possibly have trained my dog the obstacles on my own... They haven't seen my dog or talked to me about how I trained him. (clicker training rocks! :) ) My dog can perform all the obstacles safely, and I've been working a lot on handling at home.

If I can't find a class, then I'd like to find somewhere I can just rent time. For time rental I can travel further if the rates are decent. The problem with living where I am is that most places are 1+ hours away, and I don't drive yet. My father is willing to drive me to classes IF they are within 45 minutes. Finding classes for an affordable price is just another factor - I'm a student and work part time.

If there is anyone out there who can help me get started in the right direction, I thankyou very much!

allymack
March 19th, 2008, 02:34 PM
ahh, that must be really frustrating! i cant offer any place to go, but if you can find a place you can get any equiment you need here http://www.canadiandogagilityequipment.ca/ ( sorry i dont know if i am aloud to post that site, mods you can delete if needed) they will have everything and anything you need for agility training. I dont know if you already have the equipment, but its just a thought. Also if you cant find a trainer, you could check out books form your library, i know of one called EXCELLING AT DOG AGILITY, by jane simmons, you could look up more agility books online. I'm sure somebody form your area will be along shortly and might be able to offer a little more info. :) good luck, and we would love to see pictures of your dog :thumbs up

Spatx
March 19th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Thanks - I think I will be building my own equipment when the weather warms up. I have a couple of jumps, small tunnel, and a set of 3 weaves. I'm hoping that in the next two months I'll have almost all the equipment. There are some pretty decent park spaces close to me with parking, so I'm sure I could bring all my stuff there to practice (as long as I avoid the soccer/baseball that goes on all the time)

The only obstacle that will be harder to have available will be the a-frame. I'm thinking of making a light-weight mini one to train on. I think thats all I'll really need. I'll see :) I'll check out some books online and see what I can come across. There are certain things I know we need to work on, like off-side weaving and contacts.

I'll have to post an intro and pictures of my dog, I made a quick video today of him doing a little agility practice in the yard, so I could show that too.

I'm still hoping to find a place to train at, especially since I'd love to have the advice and support of an experienced agility enthusiast. I don't know where or how to start off trialing, or how to know when were ready to try.

Lukka'sma
March 19th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Maybe you could get some information from Byrd. She is on the forum fairly often and she would most likely be your best bet in the GTA for names and such.

growler~GateKeeper
March 20th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Check out this thread http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=50653 Byrd & Willow her Aussie will be in a competition this weekend, perhaps you can go & talk to someone there? :D

Spatx
March 20th, 2008, 12:42 AM
I went to the show last year, was thinking about going again this year, so theres some more incentive! Lol. :thumbs up My main thing is figuring out who to talk to, as being a 'guest and watching' makes me feel awkward when I want to ask questions. I guess its just from the bad experiences I've had before with talking to people about agility.

growler~GateKeeper
March 20th, 2008, 12:57 AM
I would think most people in the business would be more than happy to talk to people who are looking to get into the sport.

Post a reply in that thread, you can always ask Byrd if she can point you in the right direction. :D

allymack
March 20th, 2008, 07:53 AM
dont feel awkward, they are the nicest people you will ever meet and they would love to tell you all about it. I have been to a couple copmetitions and i asked a truck load of questions and anybody i asked gladly gave me plenty of information.and a-frame would be the hardest to build, but if you found a good set of instructions you could build one.

Byrd
March 20th, 2008, 06:54 PM
LOL Spatx is going to think I'm famous before we even meet! LOL

Unfortunately, I live in Oshawa, not really the GTA, and I'm not really that into agility, it's more of a fun thing for us for performing in shows and demos for the training facility I work with.

MafiaPrincess would be more the one to ask agility questions to, and she did give some names in the other thread.

Good luck.

Oh, just remembered, lol, if we get a chance to talk I'll introduce you to Heather, one of my team mates. She lives in Toronto and is a really good positive reinforcement trainer in all sports.

Spatx
March 20th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Thanks, hopefully I'll see you there Byrd . :D

I'd still love to try flyball, but I don't know if anyone would want to take us on. My Aussie is a bit older, but I'm pretty sure he still has quite a few good years left for faster sports. It makes me sad that Cody is aging, theres so much I'd like to do with him still.

Byrd
March 20th, 2008, 09:56 PM
:goodvibes: We're looking for more dogs to build a veterans team... so yeah, if you come on out for training you'd likely have a spot.

www.superdogcentral.com/training That's my Willow staring on the training page!

Spatx
March 20th, 2008, 10:06 PM
That would be amazing! Now I'm super excited, and hope to see you all on the weekend :lightbulb: I'll see if I can convince my father to drive that far... maybe if I offer to pay for gas?

As much as I love agility, I think I'll be making my own equipment and doing home practice and at the park. We took a beginner flyball course before, but that was what.. 3 years ago now? Ah well, his toy drive has really increased since last time, so I'll see. Doing flyball has always been a dream of mine too, I didn't even know they had a veterans class ^_^

The SuperDog Central page isn't working for me tonight, I'll have to try again tomorrow. Where are they located so I can look it up?

Byrd
March 20th, 2008, 10:43 PM
The website was down for a bit last week, I think it is again. You can pm me and I'll give you all the information you want.

It's in Bowmanville. It's far, I know, that's the biggest problem.

Check out www.flyball.org for more information on the sport.

Gail P
March 21st, 2008, 12:02 AM
How far is Caledon from Richmond Hill? This place is in Caledon http://www.dogsportscentre.com/

Spatx
March 21st, 2008, 09:28 AM
Caledon is about an hour as well. I'm still trying to ease my parents into the idea of taking me that far since I've yet to find anybody closer. Well... there are a few closer, but I've not had the greatest experiences with people in this area.

goldenlook
April 4th, 2008, 04:15 PM
I lived in Richmond Hill, Ontario too and go to a private agility trainer who is 35 mins from our place - located at Mt Albert. She does train young handlers and her students go to agility trials.
She doesn't have website nor email address and I don't think it's a good idea to post her phone number on-line.
So? I just join this forum.

Spatx
April 4th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Woops, can't pm yet - you need to have a few posts before the option is available. Introduce yourself and your pups and I'll pm you as soon as I can :)

Hope to talk to you soon!

goldenlook
April 7th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Oh, that's why I couldn't find the PM function.

My husband and I have a spayed 2 years old golden retriever name Jinny. She completed 2 obedience courses and currently training for agility. She is quite agile and loves agility. We are hoping we can go to some trial this summer. Our trainer said she will tell us everything about going to trial.

Currently, there is 3 dogs in our class including us. One dog's handle is a kid (probably under 12) and his parents take him there.

In winter, classes are indoor, outdoor when it's summer.

goldenlook
April 7th, 2008, 10:37 AM
She will ask you to attend a few one-on-one sessions first ($40? / hr) then you can start group lesson ($30/hr).

goldenlook
April 7th, 2008, 11:29 AM
You have to call her to make appointment/arrangement about classes.

goldenlook
April 7th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Spatx, I can see that you have an Aussie, can you please tell me more about them? We are thinking of getting a second dog and we are interested in Aussie too if not a mix breed.

goldenlook
April 7th, 2008, 11:32 AM
How many posts do I have to post to get the PM function?
How do I know can do that?

Spatx
April 7th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Thanks, got your pm! :D