Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

When Pookie dies . . . . . make a coat!!!

Rick C
March 19th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Strangest and, I think, creepiest story of the day

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/tyne/7304452.stm

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Love4himies
March 19th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Very weird, I couldn't do (wear) it.

happycats
March 19th, 2008, 02:18 PM
My aunt did that :o
She collected her dog "Leon's" hair for years, and made a beautiful sweater out of it, it was actually a gorgeous sweater, and made her smile long after he died.

onster
March 19th, 2008, 03:04 PM
I actually dont think its that creepy :shrug:

Its kinda weird, cuz ppl dont do it..but i mean its the same thing as shaving (i dunno the term) sheep and then spinning wool...it doesnt hurt the sheep (nor did it hurt the dog especially since its after its passed on).

I mean its just hair that was lying around anyway...isnt it similarly as 'creepy' to have ure pets ashes or something sitting in an urn in ure living room?

kit1469
March 19th, 2008, 04:43 PM
i can understand the hair thats liying around .. its actually a kind of cool idea .. but i dont like the whole taking the fur off the dead dog ,... i think thats very disrespectfull ... i couldnt do it ... but to each thier own i guess..

onster
March 19th, 2008, 04:53 PM
oh they took the fur off the dead dog? missed that :eek: thats kinda disrespectful in my books too. Didnt she collect the fur from brushes and carpets?

Rick C
March 19th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I posted the link on another board as well. In both places, the reaction has been somewhat ambivalent, agreeing with the "creepy" line but also others who were agreeable.

One had thought of doing something similar for a scarf. My immediate reaction to that was "that would be kind of cool."

And then I thought, why would I think a coat is "creepy" and a scarf is "cool?"

Is it the amount of material involved? Some self-examination is obviously needed.

Anyhoo, we do have a clipping from our long lost Sheltie "Becky" as well as the ashes of all our deceased pets . . . and Abby's first tooth.

A coat though? I'm confusing myself.

Also, I was thinking they need a Dyson for their house if they can collect enough hair for a couple of coats.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

hazelrunpack
March 19th, 2008, 05:38 PM
There's a woman in town that will spin your goldens' hair into wool and knit you a sweater, Rick! :D I don't think it's any creepier than sheep wool. If they were making coats out of the pelts...now that would be creepy. But I think dog-hair coats/sweaters/scarves are kinda cool. :cool: Setters don't have enough of an undercoat, or I might have a new wardrobe. :thumbs up

disclaimer: hazel is certifiable in some people's books... :o

ancientgirl
March 20th, 2008, 09:36 AM
I couldn't do that. I'd feel like I was really disrespecting them. To me it's like when people make diamonds out of their loved ones ashes and wear them.

14+kitties
March 20th, 2008, 10:26 AM
It sounds like they just collected the hair from brushes. Not shaved the dogs. I think it's a neat idea. Not much different from what people in Victorian days used to do with hair of their loved ones. They would make rings, lockets and other forms of jewelry out of it. I watched a television show on that probably 10 or 12 years ago now. Very interesting.

ancientgirl
March 20th, 2008, 10:38 AM
It sounds like they just collected the hair from brushes. Not shaved the dogs. I think it's a neat idea. Not much different from what people in Victorian days used to do with hair of their loved ones. They would make rings, lockets and other forms of jewelry out of it. I watched a television show on that probably 10 or 12 years ago now. Very interesting.

I think it's a great idea to save a piece of hair, and put it in a ring or locket. Heck, I've got one of Maks' baby teeth, and a tooth that's either Vlad's or Oksana's baby tooth too. But I just can't like making an entire sweater out of a beloved one's hair. Just my opinion.

Dracko
March 20th, 2008, 11:39 AM
I think if I was going to save the hair like that I'd have it made in to a pillow to use more as an ornament. Fur or not, those sweaters are simply ugly as well.

Chibi
March 20th, 2008, 12:33 PM
I don't know if I could do that to my Guinness... He probably would probably make a stylish set of earmuffs though - that's about all we could make out of him. :laughing:

14+kitties
March 20th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I think it's a great idea to save a piece of hair, and put it in a ring or locket. Heck, I've got one of Maks' baby teeth, and a tooth that's either Vlad's or Oksana's baby tooth too. But I just can't like making an entire sweater out of a beloved one's hair. Just my opinion.

ancient - this isn't just a lock of hair put in a locket. This is actual jewelry. The Victorians called it mourning jewelry. I included a site you can check out if you like about a woman who still does this. It's neat. :thumbs up

http://jscms.jrn.columbia.edu/cns/2006-01-10/arnheiter-hairwork