- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

Montreal SPCA - Dog walkers needed

March 19th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Dear members,

As some of you may know I volunteer as a dogwalker at the Montreal SPCA.
I truly enjoy it, so do the dogs and I've been doing this for over a year and a half

There is a definite need for more volunteers and if you are interested I'd be more than thrilled to put you in contact with the program co-ordinator.

The requirements are 3 consectutive hours a week, no fear of dogs, no fear of picking up poop, and a willingness to do this for at least 6 months, I believe. They do give out training sessions before you are allowed to walk the dogs where they evaluate you and let you know if indeed you are a good dog walking candidate.

Please EMAIL me using CORRECT email formatting (marko A t Pets dot ca) if you would like me to pass your information to the co-ordinator.

Thanks so much!

Post approved by Admins :)

March 19th, 2008, 12:57 PM

"The requirements are 3 consectutive hours a week"

Marko, when exactly are the dogs walked...morning, afternoon, evening or a bit of both. Just curious because that is not an SPCA I can get to easily in traffic.

March 19th, 2008, 10:34 PM

Thanks so much for your interest! Please feel free to continue this conversation with me by email if you'd like more personal experiences.

There's quite a few different shifts: The morning is the shift I'm not 100% certain about since I've never done it and it's relatively new. I believe though that it's any 3 hours in between 7 and 11:45 AM. This is seven days a week

Then in the evening it's any 3 hours in between 3 and 8pm. This is Monday to Friday. On Saturday and Sunday it's set at 5-8pm

There's loads of nice volunteers working there and the dogs of course will appreciate you big time. (Saw Taz again tonite and he was hanging around with people- WHAT a sweet dooger. Petted him, fed him treats :) ) - but I digress.

So that's the skinny on the Dwalking schedule and please let me how if you have any other questions.

Thx so much!

March 20th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Thank you for going to see Taz.... I miss that boy so much, is he still in the same place.
I am hoping I can get to go this weekend for a bit to see him. Maybe tomorrow for 1 hour or 2

March 24th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Here are the official requirements and please feel free to PM me or email me for additional information - Thanks! Marko

Volunteer Job Description

Canine Rehabilitation & Exercise Program at the Montreal SPCA

To help the dogs awaiting adoption become good canine citizens by providing them with intensive physical exercise, mental exercise and basic obedience training.

Volunteers must:
- be comfortable with dogs of any size and breed, including Pitt Bulls, Rottweilers and Dobermans
- be able to adjust to submissive and dominant dogs alike
- be able to command authority with dominant dogs
- be able to handle dogs that pull on the leash, jump and nibble
- possess a good judgement
- possess an acute sense of responsibility
- be able to follow directives and procedures
- be in very good physical shape
- be willing to work outside no matter the weather conditions

Volunteers must:
- provide the dogs with basic obedience training
- fill out the “Walk and Work” log
- disinfect the material used to walk the dogs
- pick up the dogs´ feces during walks and in the kennel
- make sure dogs always have access to water
- advise an SPCA employee if a dog is sick
- advise the Team Leader if a dog has behavioural issues

Training :
- Introductory Theory and Practice : approximately 4 ½ hours (1 session)
- Obedience Training Workshop: approximately 2 hours (1 session)

Advantages :
- Contributing to the dogs´ physical and psychological well-being
- Increasing the dogs´ chances of being adopted
- Decreasing the dog´ chances of being returned following adoption due to a lack of basic obedience skills
- Excellent physical exercise
- Contacts with dogs
- Meeting new people who love animals

Required Time:
Three hours a week for a minimum of 3 months