Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Montreal SPCA - Dog walkers needed

marko
March 19th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Dear members,

As some of you may know I volunteer as a dogwalker at the Montreal SPCA.
I truly enjoy it, so do the dogs and I've been doing this for over a year and a half

There is a definite need for more volunteers and if you are interested I'd be more than thrilled to put you in contact with the program co-ordinator.

The requirements are 3 consectutive hours a week, no fear of dogs, no fear of picking up poop, and a willingness to do this for at least 6 months, I believe. They do give out training sessions before you are allowed to walk the dogs where they evaluate you and let you know if indeed you are a good dog walking candidate.

Please EMAIL me using CORRECT email formatting (marko A t Pets dot ca) if you would like me to pass your information to the co-ordinator.

Thanks so much!

Post approved by Admins :)

diandpat
March 19th, 2008, 12:57 PM
[QUOTE=marko;565297]

"The requirements are 3 consectutive hours a week"

Marko, when exactly are the dogs walked...morning, afternoon, evening or a bit of both. Just curious because that is not an SPCA I can get to easily in traffic.

Thanks

marko
March 19th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Diandpat,

Thanks so much for your interest! Please feel free to continue this conversation with me by email if you'd like more personal experiences.

There's quite a few different shifts: The morning is the shift I'm not 100% certain about since I've never done it and it's relatively new. I believe though that it's any 3 hours in between 7 and 11:45 AM. This is seven days a week

Then in the evening it's any 3 hours in between 3 and 8pm. This is Monday to Friday. On Saturday and Sunday it's set at 5-8pm

There's loads of nice volunteers working there and the dogs of course will appreciate you big time. (Saw Taz again tonite and he was hanging around with people- WHAT a sweet dooger. Petted him, fed him treats :) )..lol - but I digress.

So that's the skinny on the Dwalking schedule and please let me how if you have any other questions.

Thx so much!
Marko

Rottielover
March 20th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Thank you for going to see Taz.... I miss that boy so much, is he still in the same place.
I am hoping I can get to go this weekend for a bit to see him. Maybe tomorrow for 1 hour or 2

marko
March 24th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Here are the official requirements and please feel free to PM me or email me for additional information - Thanks! Marko

Volunteer Job Description

Canine Rehabilitation & Exercise Program at the Montreal SPCA

Objective:
To help the dogs awaiting adoption become good canine citizens by providing them with intensive physical exercise, mental exercise and basic obedience training.

Qualifications:
Volunteers must:
- be comfortable with dogs of any size and breed, including Pitt Bulls, Rottweilers and Dobermans
- be able to adjust to submissive and dominant dogs alike
- be able to command authority with dominant dogs
- be able to handle dogs that pull on the leash, jump and nibble
- possess a good judgement
- possess an acute sense of responsibility
- be able to follow directives and procedures
- be in very good physical shape
- be willing to work outside no matter the weather conditions

Responsibilities:
Volunteers must:
- provide the dogs with basic obedience training
- fill out the “Walk and Work” log
- disinfect the material used to walk the dogs
- pick up the dogs´ feces during walks and in the kennel
- make sure dogs always have access to water
- advise an SPCA employee if a dog is sick
- advise the Team Leader if a dog has behavioural issues

Training :
- Introductory Theory and Practice : approximately 4 ½ hours (1 session)
- Obedience Training Workshop: approximately 2 hours (1 session)

Advantages :
- Contributing to the dogs´ physical and psychological well-being
- Increasing the dogs´ chances of being adopted
- Decreasing the dog´ chances of being returned following adoption due to a lack of basic obedience skills
- Excellent physical exercise
- Contacts with dogs
- Meeting new people who love animals

Required Time:
Three hours a week for a minimum of 3 months