Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

He won't eat.

Chibi
March 18th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Every day my mini dachshund eats less and less every day. He will get excited when I have his food bowl and run to it when I put it down, but once he has sniffed or licked at the Nutram Kibble he will back away, completely disinterested and give me this look like "I'm hungry, but not THAT hungry."
My poor baby who used to be a chubby puppy is getting skinny as he grows up! I can't see his ribs, but the shape of his rib cage does poke out more than I think it should. I wanted him on a feeding schedule, but I can't take the bowl away when it's full - I let him nibble here and there when he is really hungry.

But I can't just keep buying bags of puppy chow at 20 bucks a bag and hope he likes it. I went with the pet store advice to feed him Nutram, so I don't trust them. Please help me find a food my Guinness will love to eat! Dachshunds are supposed love food and be gluttonous, and unsatiable! Not dissatisfied and longing for something else. :sad:

Is there any kibble that Dachshunds are known to love?

Chibi
March 18th, 2008, 11:52 PM
I called the pet store and they said if I brought him in they would be happy to let him try a few different things... It just makes me nervous bringing him in there without his second parvo booster, but they assure me as long as I keep strangers from touching him he will be fine.

Kristin7
March 19th, 2008, 09:35 AM
I don't know, my dog, when he was a puppy, went through a stage where he wasn't eating much either. For a time, I stopped giving him breakfast and was only feeding him once a day because of that. Even now at 2, he doesn't always want his breakfast. Mine is rather picky about his food, and doesn't really like any kibble all that much, so I top it off with wet food and he scarfs it all right up, kibble too. He is much more enthusiastic about his meals since I starting doing that, and has gained a couple pounds. I not only do that with canned food, but sometimes top his meals off with yogurt, cottage cheese or leftover rice.

I don't know about bringing your dog out if not fully vaccinated... is it really worth it, if there is a chance he could get sick? Can you buy small sample bags of different foods and bring them home for him to try?

Chibi
March 19th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Parvo is spread through contact, feces, and all that - it actually isn't airborne, so we just don't let anyone touch him (we went once before), but it still makes me nervous.

The thing is that he's so little, and he needs to eat 3-4 times a day or else he will become hypoglycemic. :sad: And he will get excited to eat, I can see that he wants to eat, jumping around and following me when I carry the bowl - it's when he finally gets a sniff at the kibble that he loses interest - and Dachshunds are NOT supposed to be the type you have to convince to eat.

clm
March 19th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Try mixing the kibble with some canned. I mix mine half and half. Get a good grain-free kibble and a good grain free canned.

Mine have never eaten all their food at one sitting, but that's the way my breed is, I leave it down for an hour or two and they go back to it.

Cindy

jessi76
March 19th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I'd stop catering to the puppy. don't keep buying new kibble and hope he likes it. this is what the pup wants - a new taste for his meals. and you bought into it, hook, line, and sinker.

buy ONE bag of a HIGH QUALITY puppy kibble. learn how to read the ingredient list so you can choose an appropriate food. then STICK with it. do not change kibble for at least a few months (unless there is an obvious food allergy). the pup will need TIME (not one day or one week) to get used to it.

Add in a scoop or two of some HIGH QUALITY canned puppy food (you can use a variety of flavors). this will change the flavor and entice the pup to eat. it will provide extra calories that pups need. i.e. Merrick's canned Puppy Plate. one can should last a few days.

you are correct about not taking this pup into a pet store just yet. I would certainly wait until he is fully vaccinated before going to a public pet store. or if you do take him, carry him.

SnowDancer
March 19th, 2008, 12:55 PM
I would be calling the vet - never yet met a Dachshund who wouldn't eat - even the younger ones being bred now who have more sensitive tummies than my guys did - nothing bothered their stomachs of iron. Re food I would also be looking for a high quality food suitable for puppies.

Chibi
March 19th, 2008, 04:16 PM
When we are in the pet store I either tuck him under my jacket (if it weren't for his brown eyebrows he would blend right in!), or have him in the crook of my arm. He never walks on the floor, and if any strangers or anybody asks to pet him I explain that he is not fully vaccinated, so if they wish to pet him they need to wash their hands with soap and water and use the hand santizer, just like handling any of the pet store puppies. Usually people find that a lot of work and just leave us alone.

I want to find a high quality puppy food, and I was told Nutram was great, but apparently that girl was very wrong. I don't know what to look for on the ingredient list. :confused: Once we pick this new food we'll stick with it, and I'll try mixing canned food, or plain yogurt, or even a raw egg with his food.

Chibi
March 19th, 2008, 08:30 PM
We ended up buying Holistic kibble for small breed puppies. He was mildly interested, and then I put a spoonful of wet food in the bowl, and he crammed his head in there so fast I thought he broke his nose. :laughing: We're mixing it with Nutram so it doesn't make him sick. Hopefully this helps.

rainbow
March 20th, 2008, 02:55 AM
What is the brand name of the holistic kibble?

Chibi
March 20th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Holistic Select. Again, the pet store lady said that with his eating problem it seemed the best thing for him, and if I didn't like it and didn't use too much I could just bring it back.

Kristin7
March 20th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Glad the wet food helped (i thought it might)!

That kibble must be Eagle Pack Holistic Select?

Chibi
March 20th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Oh yes, Eagle Pack Holistic Select.

But as you can see here (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=566086#post566086) we are having some issues feeding him still... :frustrated:

Purpledomino
March 20th, 2008, 10:40 AM
If you find your guy is more likely to eat canned food, why not just feed him that.....or mix it with a bit of kibble. IMO canned food gets a bad rap. Kibble is highly processed and usually has more grain/carb ingredients that act as binders to keep the product kibble-like. Canned food doesn't need so much, and usually has more meat ingredients, less processing, and more water..which is a good thing. Orijen and EVO are good choices in dry food if you want to feed kibble, but there are many out there that have more meat ingredients and less carbs or grains. If you feed either wet or dry... make sure it is a quality holistic product bought at specialty pet food stores. They will also carry sample bags which are usually free.

Kibble has a reputation for being better for the teeth, but I doubt that myself. I have watched my dogs eating kibble, and half of it goes down without so much as a crunch...and any that actually comes back up :yuck: looks pretty much the same as what comes out of the bag. I believe that giving good chews such as raw bones are the best thing to keep teeth clean...not kibble. Some canned tripe may entice your boy if you add it to his meal....dogs LOVE it. It is very healthy and good for digestion...but smells gawd-aweful! :eek:

Kristin7
March 20th, 2008, 10:43 AM
I just saw that... Perhaps you could wet the kibble down with some warm water or broth to make it softer and see if he eats it then? I think you're not supposed to leave it out long after it is wet, though, as kibble can go bad pretty fast like that. If he will eat soft kibble then you know it is a texture problem. Or, he is telling you he likes the wet food taste better. :shrug: My dog loves the wet food and only tolerates the kibble, but once he starts eating, he cleans up his bowl, kibble and all, luckily.

Chibi
March 20th, 2008, 10:56 AM
I figured that wet food would be more expensive in the long run, not to mention it's sticky and smells bad. All my life we fed dogs dry kibble, it's just what I am used to.

I'm gonna try wetting it down, maybe adding an egg in there once a day.
Eggs can be fatty for dogs, and for Daschies with weight problems they are not a good idea... How often is too often for a small breed?

jessi76
March 20th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Perhaps you could wet the kibble down with some warm water or broth to make it softer and see if he eats it then?

careful with "broth". ready to eat broth usually contains onion, which is toxic to dogs. be sure to read ingredients carefully. better yet, make your own. I did this for my dog when he was a pup - if I made a whole chicken for MY dinner, I later boiled the carcass down to easily remove any leftover meat bits (used for training), and make a chicken stock with no added ingredients. just chicken & water. you can then freeze this stock in an ice cube tray for easy portions.

I would not feed a pup an egg daily. eggs are great in moderation, not added to a daily meal though. (JMO)

btw, I agree w/ Purpledomino's post. Wet food gets a bad rap.

Chibi
March 20th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Yeek. :eek: I will be very careful, I had no idea.

rainbow
March 20th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I think it's the grains in kibble that cause the plaque buildup. If you want to feed your dog kibble I would try Orijen Puppy (http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/products/puppy.aspx).

Chibi
March 20th, 2008, 12:39 PM
My mother had her boxer on Orijen and actually switched off to something else. When she rescued the poor thing it had been on a very strict Raw diet - she was skin and bones, you could see her pelvic bone in detail, all of her ribs, and the shape of her skull. She gradually switched her onto Origin but she was always hungry - ate three times what she should have at her size. Since she switched off of it onto something with higher protein she eats half of what she would on Orijen, because there was less filler.
That's just her experience, but I decided to follow her example.

rainbow
March 20th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Are you sure it was Orijen your mom was feeding her dog? Orijen is a high protein (42%) grain free formula. Brands that are not grain free are mostly around 26%. The fat content of Orijen is 16% and the grain free brands are around 8%. Do you know what your mom switched her to?

Purpledomino
March 20th, 2008, 12:59 PM
My mother had her boxer on Orijen and actually switched off to something else. When she rescued the poor thing it had been on a very strict Raw diet - she was skin and bones, you could see her pelvic bone in detail, all of her ribs, and the shape of her skull. She gradually switched her onto Origin but she was always hungry - ate three times what she should have at her size. Since she switched off of it onto something with higher protein she eats half of what she would on Orijen, because there was less filler.

Hmmmm....Orijen is a very good high protein kibble. Not alot of "filler" if any at all. It is very caloric and nutrient dense, and my big dogs are eating it and keeping VERY good weight. I actually have to tone it down a bit and feed them less than the package directions. I don't know what would be "higher" protein than Orijen, and "less" filler...unless you are mistaken about the foods. :shrug:

Purpledomino
March 20th, 2008, 01:15 PM
I figured that wet food would be more expensive in the long run, not to mention it's sticky and smells bad. All my life we fed dogs dry kibble, it's just what I am used to.

I'm gonna try wetting it down, maybe adding an egg in there once a day.
Eggs can be fatty for dogs, and for Daschies with weight problems they are not a good idea... How often is too often for a small breed?

Your dog is a small breed, he's not going to eat enough canned food to break the bank. By the sounds of it though, it sounds like you are confirmed to feed kibble even though your boy loves the canned. I dunno...but if it were me, I'd shove convenience aside and go "outside the box" for my doggy.

I personally don't find canned food sticky...and it smells kinda good! :D

Chibi
March 20th, 2008, 01:50 PM
I am pretty sure all pets love the canned stuff, but they like kibble too once they get used to it. I have been told to feed Kibble as a first choice, so I just wanted it to work that way first. I think the problem was that he did start teething, and the kibble was hard. He is eating a lot better with it softened with water. :D

rainbow
March 20th, 2008, 01:54 PM

Are you sure it was Orijen your mom was feeding her dog? Orijen is a high protein (42%) grain free formula. Brands that are not grain free are mostly around 26%. The fat content of Orijen is 16% and the grain free brands are around 8%. Do you know what your mom switched her to?

Hmmmm....Orijen is a very good high protein kibble. Not alot of "filler" if any at all. It is very caloric and nutrient dense, and my big dogs are eating it and keeping VERY good weight. I actually have to tone it down a bit and feed them less than the package directions. I don't know what would be "higher" protein than Orijen, and "less" filler...unless you are mistaken about the foods. :shrug:

Did you ask your mom to confirm if it was Orijen that she was feeding? :confused:

jessi76
March 20th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Your dog is a small breed, he's not going to eat enough canned food to break the bank. By the sounds of it though, it sounds like you are confirmed to feed kibble even though your boy loves the canned. I dunno...but if it were me, I'd shove convenience aside and go "outside the box" for my doggy.

I personally don't find canned food sticky...and it smells kinda good! :D

I agree.

My fiance opened a can of merrick's grammies pot pie once, and was actually tempted to try it. I had to remind him that is was the DOG'S food, not his. lol.

Chibi
March 20th, 2008, 03:12 PM
I wonder why I think it smells so rancid then. Every time I open a can I gag a little. :laughing:

My Mom switched Sophie on to Nutro, because it was higher in carbs. She wanted her to gain weight, and eat less of it. Sophie could eat herself to death on Orijen, but she wouldn't gain any weight so it wasn't doing her any good. so she tells me. :shrug: