Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I'm back with a higher stress level !!

14+kitties
March 18th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Hi all. Still having internet issues but for some reason I am able to get on today. I should be out working in greenhouses but thought I would post a blog to let those interested know what has been happening lately with the catuary. It has been very stressful and keeping me on my toes..............

Winston
March 18th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Whats been happening 14+kitties???

14+kitties
March 18th, 2008, 04:04 PM
Whats been happening 14+kitties???

Winston... I didn't want to start a thread here because it took too long to go through everything. I did do a blog though explaining everything. Hope I did it right. It's very long and involved. :rolleyes: If I can get back on later I will try to do a condensed version here.

rainbow
March 18th, 2008, 04:04 PM
I can't find your blog. :confused:

14+kitties
March 18th, 2008, 06:31 PM
I moved the blog here. Don't know what happened to it??? :shrug::confused:

The reason for my stress level rising.....
Posted Today at 02:38 PM by 14+kitties
So "Ms. Responsible Pet Owner" me thought I was doing the right thing in getting the boys done first. No sperm, no pregnancies. Yeah, right!

I think everyone knows Luba got me in touch with Toronto Cat Rescue (for which I am forever grateful) so I could start getting the girls done at a greatly reduced rate. I had already moved my unfixed males into the house in February to avoid the whole kitten issue. My last male went in on Monday and was done. Yay!! Not impressed with the fact that he came back with his back end bloody and still smelling very strongly of antiseptic. I really think he had just been done before I picked him up. But I digress.....

I had been hoping to take the girls in one or two at a time to get fixed because I really am strapped for cash. My cards are maxed out, I am basically living day to day hoping hubby will get paid for work he has done so I can buy groceries for more than a day or two at a time. Don't worry, he will be and things will get better very soon as far as that part goes. (That hydro pole coming down in Feb really did a number on us)

I went to feed my babies on Tues (Mar 11). Imagine my surprise when I saw a stray cat in with them. I think he is the original Tom that would show up very very rarely at the feeding station in the garage. Well, he decided to help himself to my girls. I managed to get my 2 boys and 8 of the 9 girls in their shed and lock their access to outside. One of my girls went under the shed with the Tom.

Very long story short..... three days later he managed to FINALLY get himself caught in the live trap I had set up. At the point I set it up I didn't care which cat I got, I just wanted them separated. I took him out to the garage and let my babies out for some much needed sun. I felt so bad leaving them in the shed for so long. Not to mention the fact that I had one very very hungry girl who had not eaten for the three days she was outside with the male.

So......the cat rescue gets a very panicked call from Gerri (me). Hubby and I took "Tom" and one of my girl to one of the TCR vets. Problem done. I was back to having stress level down and being able to breathe again. TCR even offered to pay for one and I only had to pay for my girl. Even better.

Sunday morning I go to feed my girls. I was also taking 4 of my boys who had been in here since Feb back out with me so they could be reunited with their cousins and siblings. I was planning on being home all day working in the greenhouses so I could keep an eye on any problems which arose. Well, that lasted about half an hour.

There was ANOTHER bloody male in there!!!!!!! And this one was NOT backing off when I got close. He wanted my girls and was gonna do anything to get them!! ARRRRGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!! I was at my wits end.

One more time........ I gathered up my gals and put them in their shed along with Meowzer and Spazzy. My four boys I had in here came back in. There was no way I was going to lock up 4 basic strangers with the rest. (They didn't really mind coming back in either )

So at this point I am back to having 6 kitties in the house. 5 fixed males (Niko was done yesterday) and Ms. Atty who just had her surgery yesterday in Toronto. I have the male stray in the garage in the live trap. He will be getting released on Friday morning. We are letting him go back to his life living in our bush. He seemed to do very well there. Once he is out of the cage it has to be sterilized and set up one more time in the catuary so I can try to catch this other kitty. What else can I do?

I can manage to end this long narrative on a very happy note! My mom, who, by the way, is not an animal lover, has offered to give me the money so I can get the rest of the girls fixed. I can not tell you how happy I am with that news. She might not love kitties but she loves me!! I told her once the nursery is opened in May I can pay her back. She says not to worry about it. My sisters and brother have all borrowed money over the years which they have never paid back. If I ever had to borrow money she alway got it back.And she WILL get paid back this time too. I hate owing money.

So all in all, at this point I feel like a complete failure as a pet owner. I am so upset with myself for not thinking about males getting into the catuary. I was so proud of myself for building this sanctuary for them and keeping them safe I never thought about how easy it is to scale the fence for outside kitties. I know once the girls are all done (within a week or so I think) the problem will be ended but it will take a while for me to stop kicking myself in the butt!! I am still not sure how many of them are pregnant at this point.
And then we have to start on the feral females outside............
Comments 0

phoozles
March 18th, 2008, 06:48 PM
:eek: What an ordeal! It's tough when you're trying to do a good thing, but pesky life gets in the way! Hang in there - you'll see a light at the end of the tunnel soon enough! :grouphug:

As for the blog - the same thing happened to me - I think you haven't made it "public" - you can do it in the blog section. :thumbs up

dmc123
March 18th, 2008, 06:57 PM
14+kitties,

I feel so bad for what you are going through, but glad to hear the good news that your mom is helping you to get the girls fixed! Please don't beat yourself up - remember how much you are doing for these babies. I admire you.

I need to look back at some of your pictures, I know you have some of the catuary you built...how did the stray males get in?

Take care,
Diane

Frenchy
March 18th, 2008, 07:23 PM
So all in all, at this point I feel like a complete failure as a pet owner.

HEY ! Don't ever take that tone again with yourself missy !!! You are so much more than a pet owner ! By yourself , you have rescued so many cats , built a shelter for them , feed them and now getting them all spayed and neutered ! What happened was an accident , not a failure ! If they all get spayed soon , the vet will abort if any of them are pregnant. I am so glad your mom will help with the cost , we all need a little help sometimes. You can't do this all by yourself , it's just crazy !

So please , give yourself a break , you did so much more than many many people would have done to save all those cats who were someone else's responsability but just decided one day they didn't care about their cats anymore. You're these cats :angel:

Oh and you might want to put a "NO VACANCY" sign to keep the tom cats away :laughing:

clm
March 18th, 2008, 09:53 PM
I'm with Frenchy, I think you've done an admiral job, I see nothing even remotely hinting at failure. Once your females are spayed, the Toms won't be so keen to scale your fence.
Great that mom is going to help you out with the cost. Maybe she's really a cat lover after all. You must have at least one cat in that pride that she secretly adores.

Cindy

14+kitties
March 18th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Thaks everyone for those kind words. I am feeling a little better now. I think I just needed to get my frustration out. That's what I love about Pets.ca. Everyone lets you VENT when you have to!! :rolleyes:
The last straw for me was when I went over to feed my little ones this afternoon and the "stray" came right over to me when I called. I am thinking he isn't so much a stray at all but belongs to someone near by or has been dropped off. I am not happy about an obviously intact male being allowed to roam if he does have owners. When I catch him in the live trap he will be getting un-intact :rolleyes:(not a word but oh well :D) and I hope his owners show up looking for him! They will be getting the vet bill plus travelling costs.

Phoozles Thanks for the hug and the info. Can you tell I am new at the blogging thing?
dmc123 The males just plain climbed over the fence. It seems it's a lot easier to get into than it is to get out. We now have to figure out a way to stop that but once everyone is fixed there will be no interest.
Frenchy Can you print cat? Cause I can't find a sign they will understand. I knew about the abortions if they are pregnant. That is why I was freaking more than anything. Worrying I couldn't get them in till it was too late.
Clm My mom really does not like animals. She was raised on a farm and in her days "animals belonged outside, not inside being coddled" She has only ever seen one of the kitties that I brought into the house the last time she was able to visit and he was already scheduled to be fixed. Now she is unable to travel due to health. No chance she likes any of my kitties. :rolleyes:
Again, thanks ladies. Frenchy... I needed that lecture :o . Sometimes it just helps to get it out.

growler~GateKeeper
March 19th, 2008, 04:16 AM
Gerri I think you are doing a wonderful job with all your kitties & I don't think any one here thinks any different. :grouphug:

It's stressful enough just thinking of what you are going through, you couldn't have predicted you'd get a tom or two in the catuary.

:lightbulb: Hmmmm......do they make bottled female cat phermones that could be used to attract unneutered males into the caturary after the girls are all spayed - then you could nab & neuter all the toms in the hood w/out the possiblity of pregnancy? :D

Shabby
March 19th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Gerri, I'm with growler and frenchy...you're doing a fabulous job and deserve a :grouphug: and a pat on the back. You are the sunshine in these kitties day, you're their knightess in shining armour!

Do not, not, not, not say, think or feel you're a bad or inadequate Mommy because the total opposite is true!!

Be proud, VERY proud of what you are doing for these little animals, and most of all...be proud of yourself...I am!!

Regards,
Shabby :cat::dog:

Love4himies
March 19th, 2008, 07:14 AM
You are doing a wonderful job, don't beat yourself up, not too many people would go through the work and expense that you have to rescue the poor kitties. Give yourself a pat on the back!
:grouphug: to you.

danaekitty
March 19th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Last spring, I made the appointment to have Olive fixed, and the day before the appointment she was acting really cuddly and her nipples were poking out, and I thought the worst! I wept and wept, thinking that I'd failed and was a bad owner as well... I cancelled her vet appointment becuase I couldn't bear the thought of a kitty-abortion - not a very nice thing to do to a cat, IMO. I was so upset, and preparing myself for the shame and stigma of having to find homes for the kittens because I was an irresponsible owner. But a couple weeks later, Olive's nips were back in, and there was no sign of pregnancy, so I took her in and it was a false alarm!

14+, look on the bright side... at least if your kitty is knocked up, she'll have a fond memory of shacking up for a couple days for some steamy love with her Tom boyfriend.:laughing:

14+kitties
March 19th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Thanks Growler, Shabby, L4H. :D I am ok today. I think I was just getting overwhelmed by everything and it needed to get out. This new "stray" put me over the edge. He is most definetely someone's cat. I was petting him this morning while he was eating and when I stopped he quit eating to come get more petting. :frustrated: PEOPLE! Will make it easier to put him in a crate to get fixed though.
Growler - I laughed when I read the "bottled phermone". They make it for humans, why not cats?
Danaekitty - while I sympathise with you and your past issues, I would not hesitate to take these ones in to get fixed, preggers or not. Unless, of course, the pregnancy was too far advanced. Like - a week before due date. And that would only be because of the recovery issues for mom being fixed so far into pregnancy. Olives's nipples being out were probably because she was in heat, not pregnant. Also, there is not ONE kitty who could be "knocked up". There are nine. Nine cats times 4-6 kittens per cats - NOT happening! The one that was with "Tom" under the shed will be pregnant. I think her memories will be more of being hungry and uncomfortable
than any enjoyment she may have had from a brief mating.

Shabby
March 19th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Glad to hear you're feeling less overwhelmed today. It's easy to feel that way when things keep on keeping on!

Please, take a well deserved break and pamper yourself today!!

Cheers!
:dog::cat:

badger
March 19th, 2008, 11:34 AM
I've got an errant intact tom as well (the beauty I picked up recently in a snow storm and returned to a neighbour) and he is a royal pain, territorial wherever he happens to be, holding my cats hostage on the outside staircase :laughing: sometimes I have to lock him in the bathroom just to bring the disciples inside (12 cats - got it?). I'm hearing you, 14+, overwhelmed (and feeling slightly ridiculous. What sane human person does this?).
From the couple of times I've spoken with the owners, 'getting the money together' :rolleyes: for a snip is a problem. Forget that I met him in the road carrying three cases of 24, which cost almost exactly the amount needed for a simple castration.
I told the guy his tom was waaay too thin for a cat that eats regularly and should be seen by a vet. I swear his face is wider than his flanks and bum, it's pitiful. And no stomach. He's already got little bites on his head.
Being a crabby old cat lady requires great restraint, especially when one is absolutely powerless.
Hang in there 14+ and keep repeating the mantra: I do what I can.

krdahmer
March 19th, 2008, 11:46 AM
I like that mantra Badger!

And 14+.... I can't tell you how much I admire you for what you have been able to do for all those kitties.:grouphug::lovestruck: I just wish I had this site and the many people like you on it right when I started caring for the ferals at my old appt.... I could have helped so many more knowing what to do. I guess there is nothing really that you can do to avoid the toms getting in other than what you have already done, and fixing the girls:shrug:... aside from putting in an alarm system! ;) And give your mom a big hug for me too... although she may not like your kitties, she still qualifies as a kitty :angel: for lending money for the spays! I hope all the girls' surgeries go smoothly and that tom's owner likes their 'surprise' later. (It irks me too that so many people just let their intact kitties roam free...:frustrated:)

14+kitties
March 20th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Thanks badger and krdahmer! :D I am back to my norm now. Think I just let everything get to me. Too much time to think when I am in greenhouses seeding. :rolleyes:
Badger - that mantra has been mine for a long time too. It gets repeated daily... a lot!! :o
krdahmer - I will give my mom a hug tomorrow but it will be a gentle one. She is doing lots better these days but she will never get back to her "normal" self. Docs still haven't given us a time line for how much longer we have her. :sad:

badger - 12 cats in your home. Yep, hubby wouldn't want to meet you. ;) He thinks I am nuts having 6 in right now. I love it! Except for the endless hair.

I have sent a query to the org. that is helping me with the cost of spays as to what she thinks I should do with the stray tom. He is someone's pet. When I go out to feed mine (and him) he comes right over to me. I said if she thought it was right I would bring him in to get fixed. He's been here since Sat night and no one has come looking. It is also possible someone dropped him off.:frustrated: He is such a handsome tabby. Probably will just be another one of mine. :rolleyes:

rainbow
March 20th, 2008, 02:27 PM
I don't know how I missed coming back to this thread. :o

I'm glad that everything has settled down now. :grouphug: I agree with Love4himies.....there are not too many people out there that would do everything that you are doing for all these kitties. :angel: You are an amazing person. :thumbs up

14+kitties
March 20th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Awww gee shucks, thanks Rainbow. I do what I can. :o
It really helps to come in here and read all of the different stories for other people. Makes you realize you aren't alone in all of this.
So to everyone at Pets.ca THANK YOU!!!!!