Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Missing toenail

hanna'smom
March 18th, 2008, 01:41 PM
My German Shepherd, Hanna, has torn off one of her toenails. Just the hard part of the nail is gone--the pink "membrane" part of her nail is there. She walks fine, but is licking it constantly. Can I do something for her at home or should I take her to the Vet? Or, will her nail grow back naturally? Thanks for any help!:dog:

jessi76
March 18th, 2008, 02:13 PM
if it were my dog, I'd call the vet and head in. They may want to see her just to be sure no other damage is done. if the nail bed isn't damaged, i'd imagine the nail would grow back. (I'm not a vet, so i cannot say for sure, nor has my own dog had nail damage that severe). In the meantime, I'd wrap it. In fact, a vet may want to bandage the paw to prevent dirt/bacteria from getting in there and possibly causing an infection. it's also a good idea to have the vet clean it out really well. if you do it, you could cause the dog pain since I'm sure it's VERY sensitive. an infection could lead to some more serious issues. So yes, I'd call the vet, and probably head in. let us know how the nail/paw heals up!

rainbow
March 18th, 2008, 02:20 PM
I also think you should take her to the vet. It is very painful and it needs to be cleaned and wrapped properly. She may also need to be on some antibiotics to prevent infection. :pawprint:

hanna'smom
March 19th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Thanks For The Quick Reply--i'm Calling The Vet Today!