Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Introducing myself and my dog Storm

LHCampbell
March 18th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Storm is a Portuguese Water Dog with severe skin allergies. We've been through the ringer with testing and desensitization vaccines, Atopica, steroids, etc. every diet imaginable since she was 6 months old until I gave up and went raw almost a year ago. She will be 7 years old in Sept. So far, her mixed raw diet hasn't made a difference so my latest effort to try to help her is with an exclusive diet of raw rabbit. The problem is that rabbit is very high in protein and very low in fat. She needs fat supplementation to balance out this program. She gets high quality pure fish and borage oil (no soy or plant additives) and likes olive oil, but I don't know if this is sufficient, or if so, how much olive oil to give her. She weighs 42 pounds. Does anyone have any suggestions? We are long time members of "Rawfeeding", "Classic Hemeopathy", "Midatlantic Feeders, "Raw Chat", but so far I haven't been able to get anyone with solid experience in feeding exclusively rabbit. I would greatly appreciate any feedback!

Thanks so much - Laurie and Storm

want4rain
March 18th, 2008, 05:20 PM
welcome to pets.ca!! i dont know of anyone on here who feeds rabbit exclusively but im also not sure what you mean by exclusively. if you start on a whole rabbit diet, you can hold that for months if need be. if things settle down you can try adding a few of the fatty fishes. if things dont settle down, im not sure what would be next. have you tried a different water source?? RO/DI water?? are you on well or city water? have you moved at all in her lifetime? have you tried a different single source like chicken (yeah, its pretty common, just asking!!!) or fish only?? has there every been any sort of head way made?

-ashley

LHCampbell
March 19th, 2008, 12:14 PM
She gets filtered water, but we have moved and the water didn't make a difference. I've heard from a few people that rabbit-only won't do her harm unless it's used indefinitely (without added fat). Guess I'll try to relax, keep giving her her fish oil and olive oil and see if there's any improvement. Thanks for your response!

Best,

Laurie

LHCampbell
March 19th, 2008, 12:14 PM
She gets filtered water, but we have moved and the water didn't make a difference. I've heard from a few people that rabbit-only won't do her harm unless it's used indefinitely (without added fat). Guess I'll try to relax, keep giving her her fish oil and olive oil and see if there's any improvement. Thanks for your response!

Best,

Laurie

aslan
March 19th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Hi, I would suggest calling around to 2 or 3 reputable groomers. Preferably affiliated with a vet. Explain your dogs skin condition and ask for suggestions. If they are a good groomer they will show you a shampoo that is just for that problem..Been awhile so I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head. But it will help with any skin irritation ie. itchy, dry etc.