Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy displays possession issue

geoffh4
March 18th, 2008, 09:21 AM
I have a 3.5 months old male puppy who is displaying some serious object guarding issues. So far, its pretty much restricted to rawhides.

Disclaimer: I know many of you don't believe in rawhides, but I've read the research and I feel they are fine. Please dont turn this into a discussion about the pros and cons of rawhides. Thanks!

OK: So if I give him a rawhide, I can take it away just fine. I do the "take and give" and the "take and give a treat and regive" training method every time I give a rawhide.

Recently, however, he has started to hold the rawhide a lot tigher. He doesn't want to give it up to me, but eventually he does. No growling or anything with me.

With my other dog, however, its completely different. If she comes near him when he has a rawhide he gets very vocal with aggressive growling and will lunge at her if she gets too close. Unfortunately, she's about 30 pounds bigger and just ignores him and takes the rawhide anyway, running away and having him chase her. She thinks its a game.

I've tried getting a big rawhide and making them both chew while I hold it in the middle. This works fine and they have no issues.

So how can I keep him from growling and lunging when she wants his rawhide? I dont want this to be a real issue when he is full grown

LavenderRott
March 18th, 2008, 12:01 PM
If this is ONLY happening with rawhides, I would stop getting after the pup and start getting after the older dog. There really is no reason why the pup shouldn't be able to have his treat without being harassed about it.

rainbow
March 18th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Do you give them EACH their OWN rawhide at the same time? Or are you just giving a rawhide to the pup and expecting the older dog to sit and watch?