Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Serious Diarrhea Problem in Cat

mybubbles65
March 17th, 2008, 10:30 PM
I have a nine month old kitten that has had diarrhea pretty much since I got him five months ago. I have had him to the vet a few times with no resolution. He was first given some diarrhea medication that helped him for a day or two and then it came back. I did a lot of research on causes of diarrhea in cats and thought the problem could be Giardia. The vet gave me Panacur to try. It worked. He was fine for almost a month and then the diarrhea came back. He is now taking Panacur again (one day left) with no results. This is incredibly frustrating. The poor little guy drips all the time, I find it strange that the Panacur seemed to work the first time but not now. That had led me to believe that he did have some sort of worm or parasite as that is what Panacur is for. Why isn't it working this time? What the heck is wrong with my cat? He originally had a fecal float test at the vet's office that seemed normal. My vet thinks we should try a Hypoallergenic food to rule out a food allergy. I don;t think that's the problem or the Panacur wouldn't have worked the first time. I'm hoping one of the vets on this forum will respond to this. I don't know what to do next. Is there some sort of specific tests that should happen next? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

want4rain
March 17th, 2008, 10:43 PM
my only suggestion would be to cut out all other kibbles or canned foods and feed raw chicken for 2 weeks. raw chicken with the bones and a little bit of chicken gizzard, liver and heart. get a whole chicken and cut it up (joints cut really well) and feed as 'whole' as you can. so for each chicken you feed, give a heart, a gizzard and a liver (it should be two pieces, feed both but not at the same time, over a few days) and see if that doesnt clear things up. if its an allergy, that SHOULD work unless chicken is the problem. likely its all the grains found in commercial diets. you can also feed low sodium with no onions chicken broth to help rehydrate.

-ashley

growler~GateKeeper
March 18th, 2008, 12:51 AM
Are you on well water? Have you had your water tested for bacteria/chemicals?

Did they do blood & urine tests as well as the fecal tests?

Have them run the fecal tests again with another fresh sample - sometimes Giardia can be hard to detect the first time

What about xrays or ultrasounds to check the structure & development of the bowels & intestines? To make sure everything has developed normally

It is possible that he could be allergic to an ingredient in the food. You can try the raw test Want4Rain mentions, if your comfortable with raw (my cat eats only rawfood :D) or you can pick up a couple of cans of grain free chemical free holistic food such as Wellness, Eagle Pack Holistic, Innova, Nature's Variety - look for a protein your cat has never had before ie Rabbit, Lamb etc see how he does on that for a week or two.

You want to find the reason for this to best help your kitty so please try all other suggestions first, then if you still have no answer as to why.....You can add 1/4 teaspoon of Heinz Organic or Earth Organics Butternut Squash Pure Pureed Babyfood per meal to his food this will even out the water volume in the bowels removing the excess to use elsewhere in the body. You can portion freeze the babyfood in ice cube trays then dump it in a freezer bag because it will go bed before you use it all from the fridge.

Welcome to pets .ca :goodvibes: Good luck with your boy - What's his name? Please keep us updated on his progress :)

Love4himies
March 18th, 2008, 10:35 AM
My Jasper can not have any cat food with grains in it, it causes the same reaction your cat is having.

He is doing very well on Wellness canned, grainfree: Beef & Chicken, Chicken, and Turkey, Go Natural, grain free canned, Fromms grain free canned, and Orijen.

badger
March 18th, 2008, 10:41 AM
I went through this with Ollie, he is about the same age. He was decorating the walls! Poor guy spent half his time in the litterbox.
I tried him on boiled chicken and rice and it had no effect.
The vet put him on Metronidazole and Safeguard for parasites (even though the test - done by an outside lab - showed nothing).
There was no improvement.
Then the vet suggested Scour, which is usually given to farm animals :eek: but you know it worked and he hasn't had a problem since. You could ask your vet if it's indicated in your cat's case?

contessa
March 18th, 2008, 10:47 PM
I would still be suspicious of Giardia. As was said it can be hard to detect and you may need to test 3 or more consecutive samples for it to show up. Metronidazole is the usual treatment followed by retesting multiple times again to be sure it is truely gone. Some sources say 3 negative fecal tests in a row over 3 days, others say 4 negatives over a 7 day period. Sometimes a repeat course of Metronidazole is needed. There may still be diarrhea after the Giardia is treated as it is very irritating to the intestinal tract. With one of my cats who came to me with Giardia I had to add fibre to his diet for awhile to normalize his stool. I used 1/4 tsp metamucil in a little canned food daily.

One other thing, Giardia can cause the diarrhea to be extremely foul smelling, the worst thing you've ever smelled, trust me.

Hope this is helpful.