Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Anyone have a couple kitties that need a home?

danaekitty
March 17th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Hi everybody!

I'm posting this on behalf of my sister Hillary, who is forum-challenged, so to speak. She and her boyfriend Dan have started looking for cats. They would like to adopt two adult cats who have already been spayed/neutered and have been together for awhile and get along.

They've been surfing Kijiji for awhile now, and not finding anything appropriate - it's pretty important to Hillary that they find two cats together. She told me of her search last night, and I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to ask everyone about their fosters, I know many of you have a few that you'd like to see in a good forever-home!

They've got a great apartment with a yard, both have been raised with cats and are very loving individuals. I have no problem whatsoever recommending them as excellent pet-owners. They both have full time jobs but work staggered shifts, so there is almost always someone home to keep a kitty or two company.

They live in London, Ontario, and would like to find someone in the area who is fostering a couple of kitties together.

Anyone know of anything? Please let me know - I'm very excited that I get to help!

duttypaws
March 17th, 2008, 02:14 PM
hi as someone who just adopted 2 cats. (i chose adult) I would wait and see if someone knows somebody or start calling animal shelters... as far as I know there are plenty of kittys who need homes :)

i was told to keep away from kijiji and craigslist for adopting...

good luck

Winston
March 17th, 2008, 02:19 PM
You could look at this site in Hamilton....I am sure if you were interested someone could arrange transportation??

Cindy

awa.xux.net

danaekitty
March 17th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Thanks guys - We've been keeping our eyes open at Rescues here in town as well - just thought I'd check the boards first - I'd rather she get a couple who have been with someone that I e-know. :laughing:

Winston
March 17th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Just wanted you to know that I do know this group for sure! Wonderful rescue! I rescued mine from them 11 years ago and still have them both. I rescued 2 together! Could seperate them! There must be someone closer to you but if your worried about reputation and stuff I will say they are great!

So glad your relative is going to take 2 !! :thumbs up:thumbs up

Cindy

rainbow
March 17th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Send a pm to badger and poodletalk. They both always have cats looking for homes.

rainbow
March 17th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Have a look through here....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21

ancientgirl
March 17th, 2008, 09:10 PM
I was going to suggest Badger too. Aren't Pinky and Ollie fosters of hers looking for a home?

rainbow
March 18th, 2008, 02:30 AM
I was going to suggest Badger too. Aren't Pinky and Ollie fosters of hers looking for a home?

Yes they are. :lovestruck:

rainbow
March 18th, 2008, 02:38 AM
:lightbulb:

Love4himies lives in Ontario and is a foster kitty mom....maybe she can help? :goodvibes:

And, 14+kitties lives in Ontario as well but don't know if she would part with any of hers. :D

rainbow
March 18th, 2008, 02:45 AM
What about Maggie and Lizzie? They are in London and urgently need a home preferably together....

http://www.animalert.ca/cat.htm

Love4himies
March 18th, 2008, 07:31 AM
I volunteer for the Gananoque HS and I suggest you check all the local SPCA/Humane Society sites in southern, eastern ON. There are always siblings that have been surrendered together that should be adopted together. Some HS will give a discounted price if you adopt together.

Kingston HS has a rescue of about 30-40 beautiful cats from the same home and I think there are others:

http://www.kingstonhumanesociety.ca/index.cfm?page=adoption&eType=Cat&eID=299781

Check out Rosa and Sierra ;)

Gan HS:

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/ON141.html

As for transportation, I can arrange to transport to the Toronto area if you would like.

Love4himies
March 18th, 2008, 07:33 AM
http://ontariospca.ca/8-branch.shtml

danaekitty
March 18th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Thanks everyone! Your links have been extremely helpful! I've discovered that Animalert charges the same fee for one cat as two, which is great for Hillary.
Hopefully she'll find the perfect kitties soon...I'll keep you posted.

danaekitty
March 18th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Also, I did think of Pinky and Ollie, they're so beautiful...but Badger is way too far for Hillary to travel. :sad:

14+kitties
March 18th, 2008, 08:29 AM
:lightbulb:
And, 14+kitties lives in Ontario as well but don't know if she would part with any of hers. :D

:D Rainbow... Danaekitty asked for adult fixed kitties. Mine are still all under a year and are just going through the spay/neuturing process now. As far as giving a couple up.....I have had these babies since they were babies. You know how they tend to wrap themselves around your heart. If they were younger I would consider it but at this point I would not be able to make a decision about which ones could go. They are a very cohesive unit.
I guess what it comes down to is that I am a very selfish person when it comes to my babies.
Everyone has given Danae terrific advice. There a tons of older kitties for adoption at shelters that are probably close to being euthanized if homes aren't found. We hear about them all the time. I am sure they will find the ones they want soon.

onster
March 19th, 2008, 12:42 PM
try spca.cambridgeweb.net

They have two boys for adoption now, neutered and declawed (not that u would want to do that to a kitty..but its already done )

"Gambit and his brother Jack were surrendered to the shelter because their owner could no longer afford to keep them. They are both neutered, declawed and very full figured. They are the best of friends and must be adopted together. They play with eachother, sleep together and they clean eachothers ears. Gambit is very outgoing and Jack is more relaxed. They can't get enough attention and kissing and purring is their specialty!"

They regularly get brothers/sisters...a few weeks ago they had 2 siamese siblings, spayed and neutered. Their website is also the best, updated daily with pictures and full on descriptions!

Good luck.

ancientgirl
March 19th, 2008, 12:54 PM
try spca.cambridgeweb.net

They have two boys for adoption now, neutered and declawed (not that u would want to do that to a kitty..but its already done )

"Gambit and his brother Jack were surrendered to the shelter because their owner could no longer afford to keep them. They are both neutered, declawed and very full figured. They are the best of friends and must be adopted together. They play with eachother, sleep together and they clean eachothers ears. Gambit is very outgoing and Jack is more relaxed. They can't get enough attention and kissing and purring is their specialty!"

They regularly get brothers/sisters...a few weeks ago they had 2 siamese siblings, spayed and neutered. Their website is also the best, updated daily with pictures and full on descriptions!

Good luck.

I love that they MUST be adopted together. I think that's great they want to keep them both together, that's the way it should be.

danaekitty
March 19th, 2008, 01:47 PM
I love Jack and Gambit! I sent the link to Hillary and told her I'd drive her to get them if she's interested.

Love4himies
March 19th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Jack and Gambit are two beautiful boys. :pray::fingerscr Hillary takes a liking to them.

duttypaws
March 19th, 2008, 02:17 PM
oh they are :lovestruck::lovestruck::lovestruck:

onster
March 19th, 2008, 03:05 PM
:goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes:

I hope she likes them. Please let us know :fingerscr

onster
March 23rd, 2008, 07:51 PM
Was she interested in Jack and Gambit? I see theybe been adopted :goodvibes:

If not, they regularly get siblings as I mentioned, worth a look every day (they update daily) :thumbs up

Boubou
March 23rd, 2008, 08:20 PM
I have 3 beautiful fixed, declawed cats all from the same home. They are 2 years old, 2 boys and one girl. The woman moved in with her new boyfriend and she chose her boyfriend over the cats. Anyway, they all get along wonderfully and I'd love to place them together even though I know this will be difficult. I'm fostering them at my home, so they are very healthy. I'm close to Montreal.....let me know if this is of interest to you and I'll try to post some pictures of them......

danaekitty
March 24th, 2008, 08:39 AM
boubou - thanks, but you're too far!:sad:

onster, she didn't take jack and gambit, they got snapped up before she could get them.

She's still looking - she's gone on holiday to el salvador for a few days so the search will resume from there. I think she's even been in talks with a couple of fosters here in town... I will keep you posted and post some pics as soon as she makes her choice!

duttypaws
March 24th, 2008, 02:16 PM
boubou - thanks, but you're too far!:sad:

oh never say that on here..... wierd things can magically happen (i.e. transport magically being arranged! ;))

onster
April 8th, 2008, 12:16 AM
I dunno if ure sis made her choice yet, or if she is back from hols...and i know she only wanted 2 :o

but the more the merrier right? hehe...i just thought id put this out there as these 3 are just in today-- u never know, may pull @ her heart strings :lovestruck:

I dunno I saw these 3 girls and thought of this thread:

These three beautiful ladies were transferred to our shelter from the OSPCA. They were surrendered by their previous owners due to allergies in the home. They are very, very social and affectionate. The girls are inseparable and would like to all find a home together. They are 2-3 years old, and are spayed. Please visit them at the shelter if you are interested in adopting them. They are available for a discounted adoption fee of $200.

http://spca.cambridgeweb.net/adoption_cats.html

onster
April 8th, 2008, 12:19 AM
:fingerscr

so very hard to find a home for 3 cats!! :sad: but this shelter has a very high success rate, i think due in part to their excellent website.

Love4himies
April 8th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Oh onster, poor kitties need a home together.

I agree having one, cat or three, really isn't that much more work.

And they are very pretty cats :cloud9:

danaekitty
April 8th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Aw, poor three kitties! Weird how allergies develop after THREE cats...I've seen it happen though...it's a HUGE fear of mine that it will happen to me, or that my kids will be born allergic.
My sister is in the process of adopting a pair from Animalert...I'll try to get the link so you guys can see.

chico2
April 8th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Aww look at those 3 faces,OMG:lovestruck:
I could be wrong of course,but I don't think babies are born with allergies:confused:
I believe the craze today of disinfecting everything,contributes to allergies,effects the immunsystems in a baby,we all need a little"healthy" dirt:laughing:
Allergies is the no 1 excuse to get rid of unwanted pets:yell:

Love4himies
April 8th, 2008, 08:30 AM
chico, not sure about the allergy thing, maybe cyberkitten will look at this thread and be able to answer.

I do agree with your immune system comment though. We are not doing our immune systems any good by staying too sterile.

danaekitty
April 8th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Well, that's good news. I did just move to a place with hardwood floors to make it easier to clean up the hair, but my housekeeping skills are sub-par at best!!!

ancientgirl
April 8th, 2008, 09:21 AM
I agree with Chico. I believe I saw something recently about that regarding food allergies. It seems these days so many young people are allergic to some food or another.

I also know living with an animal you have allergies to is doable, if you are willing to put forth a little effort. It's worth it in the long run:cat::cat::cat::cat::cat::lovestruck:

krdahmer
April 8th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Aww look at those 3 faces,OMG:lovestruck:
I could be wrong of course,but I don't think babies are born with allergies:confused:
I believe the craze today of disinfecting everything,contributes to allergies,effects the immunsystems in a baby,we all need a little"healthy" dirt:laughing:
Allergies is the no 1 excuse to get rid of unwanted pets:yell:

I was born with allergies, but not diagnosed until I was 2. If you have one parent with allergies I believe you have a 30-50% chance of having them, and if you have both parents with allergies, your chances go up to 60-80% of also having allergies, and not always the same allergies either.
And yes I also read an article that the way everything is disinfected and steralized especially around pregnant women is affecting a child's natural immunities. The article mentioned that a pregnant woman who has pets while pregnant is less likely to have a child with a pet dander allergy! Which makes sense as the mother would pass on her antibodies right?

And ya allergies are no excuse for getting rid of a pet.... I have 6 cats and am allergic to every last one of them! :D And plan on getting a dog when we have space too!!!

And :goodvibes: to those pretty girls... hope they find a home soon!:pray:

onster
April 8th, 2008, 11:48 AM
u know, re: allergies that is something I really found when I moved to north america, everyones allergic to something!!! I mean not pet wise (common), but food wise. I seriously had no idea about peanut allergies, wheat alllergies, lactose intolerance etc etc. Not that it doesnt exist in the middle east, but much less so...to the point that in 16 yrs living there i never knew one person who was allergic to something like that! How could u be allergic to the national pastime (nuts)? lol.

Now I would think its maybe the genetic makeup of the people (we are prone to other things such as Hemoglobin H disease, where consumption of beans leads to severe anemia), but food allergies not so much. However with 2nd generation arabs and beyond here I see a lot of them have food allergies!!! Strange eh? :shrug: maybe too much caution is too blame i have no idea.

Also, as someone who has pet allergies and asthma, i understand having to give away pets for this. I developed asthma, didnt always have it and no at this point i would not give away my pets in a million years..but what if it continues to get worse and worse? What if i turn into my aunt who needs an epi pen for cats? I mean..u never know. The excuse of allergies is abused but not by everybody. So yes I have two cats, no I will never in all likelehood (if my head thinks and not my heart) get another cat. Why? I now have asthma, its not fair to the cats if I get a third one, aggrevate the issue and then have to give all away, right? Also, its not fair to get one later in lafe that might again aggrevate my asthma to epi-pen point and then need to give it away, at what fault was the cat if I knew I may not handle it? It would break my heart.

anyways danaekitty yay, she's adopting two! yes, we'd love to see pictures. Im sure these 3 will get adopted too, they are very pretty and like I said, the shelter has a very very high sucess rate :thumbs up

BusterKitty
April 8th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Yay, danaekitty, You're sister's adopting a pair. Is she getting them home soon? I hope everybody bonds soon, good luck to your sister:D

chico2
April 8th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Onster,I am from Sweden and I can honestly say,I never knew anyone with allergies,in Canada it seems everyone is allergic to something.:confused:
My middle son,had hayfever,but we never associated his allergies with the cats and at the time we also a dog.

onster
April 8th, 2008, 05:45 PM
sorry to threadjack danekitty!! :sorry:

but thats really interesting chico, i thought it was just my observations and only within my ethnic background. Sweden is pretty advanced, on par with NA definately I think (i wouldnt say egypt isnt at all :rolleyes: stuck in the 80's, lol *love it still*) anyways...so that means its probably not all the pre-packaged, preservative and chemical laden food ( we ate much more 'naturally' back in the ME/Egypt), which was my best guess....i dunno :shrug: cyberkitten? lol. maybe i could do grad school research on it :lightbulb:

lol

chico2
April 9th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Onster,I do believe that most people in Europe eat better and healthier and stay fit more than here in Canada and the US,if that has anything to do with allergies I don't know:confused:

rainbow
April 10th, 2008, 03:56 AM
What about Maggie and Lizzie? They are in London and urgently need a home preferably together....

http://www.animalert.ca/cat.htm

My sister is in the process of adopting a pair from Animalert...I'll try to get the link so you guys can see.

Was it Maggie and Lizzie? :fingerscr

chico2
April 10th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Rainbow,Maggie and Lizzie would be great:fingerscr

danaekitty
April 30th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Okay, Hillary and Dan have adopted two really cute guys from Animalert. They are both 18 months old, littermates (I think) and fitting in quite nicely, after being hidey-cats for a couple days. I don't think my sister was prepared for the black fur everywhere, but she's definitely falling in love!

Here is Dudley:

danaekitty
April 30th, 2008, 08:56 AM
And here is Jackson. The only way she can tell them apart is that Jackson wears a collar. It's pretty funny!

Love4himies
April 30th, 2008, 09:20 AM
They are so cute, BTW, what is Animalert?

In time she will be able to distinguish who is who.

danaekitty
April 30th, 2008, 09:45 AM
It's a system of foster homes here in London. She said that when she went to pick up the boys, the woman was fostering like six other cats. There was fur EVERYWHERE but she didn't smell cat pee at all, which I think is a pretty good sign.

ancientgirl
April 30th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Wow, they are both gorgeous! I don't even let the fur bother me anymore. It's a losing battle.:D

chico2
April 30th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Awww 2 black kitties,congrats to your friends,they are adorable:lovestruck: