-->

I Trimmed Lukka's Nail Too Short

Lukka'sma
March 17th, 2008, 12:05 PM
What can I put on it to stop the bleeding:yell:
My poor baby girl:wall:

OnelnAMiII25
March 17th, 2008, 12:09 PM
I have this stuff that came with my nail clippers. Its called Pet Styptic. Its used to stop the bleeding.It's a yellowish brown color. U can get it at any pet store. Its also called Quick Stop Powder. Hope this helps.

Lukka'sma
March 17th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Thanks, I don't have either of those products but if anyone knows of a home remedy I could use the info:)

Longblades
Your dog may find the pet styptic sticks burn a bit. If you don't have any try a cold water compress and dip her claw into some flour to clog the nail up. And try to keep her from moving around for awhile.

LavenderRott
Flour will work in a pinch.

luckypenny
March 17th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Corn starch, as well as a couple of extra hugs and smooches, will also do the job. :D

Lukka'sma
March 17th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Thank-you all so much, and top of the morning to ya!

Ford Girl
March 17th, 2008, 12:24 PM
We did this to Dazy this weekend, on her dewclaw, we used a mix of flour and water paste, applied with a q0tip, then dry flour, it worked well. First time we cut too short, she didn't even flinch or yelp...

Lukka'sma
March 17th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Lukka sure yelped, first time I have ever made my baby cry and I feel so bad. I have kissed every square inch of her beautiful fur to make up for it.

hazelrunpack
March 17th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Lukka sure yelped, first time I have ever made my baby cry and I feel so bad. I have kissed every square inch of her beautiful fur to make up for it.

Awww :grouphug: I'm sure she's forgiven you then!

I clip the Pack's nails, too...and so far so good, but I dread the first time I get one too close! :eek: We have some of that styptic powder on hand, too--so far we've only had to use it for hubby after shaving. :rolleyes: But it works well and keeps forever as long as it's not exposed to too much moisture! :thumbs up

rainbow
March 17th, 2008, 04:09 PM
I'm much too late to give the cornstarch advice but I just wanted to give beautiful Lukka a hug. :grouphug:

crochetdiva
March 17th, 2008, 10:23 PM
My vet suggested using soft bar soap. You kind of scoop the wet soap with the nail. I find it effective, but then I have never tried the flour.

SARAH
March 18th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Which is why I take mine to the groomers'

hazelrunpack
March 18th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Ooof dah! We used to have Priscilla's done at the groomer, but they used to send her home with bloody nails all the time. Didn't matter which groomer... That was when I learned how to do it myself! :thumbs up Haven't had a problem since (knock on wood, :fingerscr, avoid cracks...cuz now I've probably jinxed it! :laughing:)

Lukka'sma
March 18th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Which is why I take mine to the groomers'

Aww yes, but groomers are not without their faults. The reason I started doing Lukka's nails is because two different groomers cut her, so I thought I would do it myself, normally all goes well, I have been doing her nails well over a year with no accidents. I will continue to do her nails still:)

Love4himies
March 18th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Awww poor lukka, :grouphug: to her.

Frenchy
March 18th, 2008, 11:26 AM
I'm much too late to give the cornstarch advice but I just wanted to give beautiful Lukka a hug. :grouphug:

:o same here (I use flour) ahem , not that I ever needed to :rolleyes:

Has Lukka forgave you yet ? :sad: extra cuddles , extra treats , sleeping in the bed , on the couch , might help. :laughing:

ancientgirl
March 18th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Oy, I've been so busy at work I haven't had a chance to peruse. I'm glad you got your baby all fixed up. I'll have to remember that flour and cornstarch trick. But I've got some of that Styptic. It worked well when I but poor Vlad too short.