Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

nipping while licking

jealma
March 17th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Abby is now 12 weeks old and I have tried yelling no at her when she nips, but I don't seem to be getting anywhere with it,, I yell no at her,, I"ll put her off the couch if she is there with me. I stop play, but she still nips or bites at my hands when I go to pet her. I know she's not doing it in anger or self denfence, I just don't get it, and I"m not getting anywhere with putting a stop to it.. HELP me, cause she's a adorable girl, yet this is frustrating me so much. Oh, she is a Shih Tzu , I"m not sure if that makes a difference or not.

hazelrunpack
March 17th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Puppies have an irresistible urge to nip--if they were still with their littermates, they'd be playing with their mouths and learning from each other how much is too much.

Instead of yelling, say something like 'No bite' or 'No mouth' (use a firm and determined but not angry tone of voice) and try distraction. Find a toy she really loves--maybe a small Kong or something else safe for her to chew on--and try to distract her with that when she gets too 'mouthy'.

If she continues to try to nip you instead of the toy, end the play session by getting up and ignoring her.

It will take a lot of persistence and all of your patience, but she'll get the idea. To make it easier on your hands, buy a cheap pair of bicycle gloves--the kind that cover both back and palm of your hand but have cut-off fingers. I'll never raise another pup without at least two pair in the house. :D They go far to prevent 'hamburger hands'.

The bicycle gloves will come in mighty handy when she gets between 4 and 6 months of age and begins to teethe. Puppies almost always have chewing related relapses when they begin to teethe--their gums get irritated and the urge to chew gets even stronger. Toys and things like damp dishcloths in your freezer will be your best friends when she hits that stage. Keep a few dampened dishcloths frozen at all times and let her chew on those--the cold soothes the gums. Just remember to supervise her chewing at all times so she can't shred a cloth and ingest part of it. :thumbs up

jealma
March 17th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Thank you, that is good advice and I'll give it a try. I didn't really mean yelling, more like a firm voice of displeasure :-). I also found a great video while surfing . I'll show it here incase anyone else is having this trouble

http://www.dogstardaily.com/videos/henry039s-biting