Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog behaved strange during our walk...

Mishka2005
March 16th, 2008, 06:39 PM
I have a 3 1/2 year old dog, poodle/bichon mix. During our walk today he behaved really strange. After about 30 min walk, I saw that he started slowing down and kind of looking at me. After 5 min....he started barking at a big sign....his tail went down. After additional 3 min or so, his tail went down completely, he walked fast.. had his head down and sniffing the road as he did not see properly, not sure. Hi was scared for about 10 min after his behavior started...tail down, looking up at all directions (almost like when you are scared and look over your shoulder all the time...looking around you). He then kind of recovered from this...we drove home. When he came home he was normal...playing...no sign of what happened. The behavior was bizzare. What could it be? Neurological?

hazelrunpack
March 16th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Where were you during this walk? You say there was a sign, which makes me think it was an urban or suburban area... The reason I ask is that we've seen similar behavior in our dogs when they get nervous due to coming across fresh wolf scent in wolf territory.

We've also seen this type of behavior in one of our dogs after a seizure. If you suspect seizure, you really should have your dog checked by his vet. If it was a seizure, it sounds like a very mild one since your dog was disoriented, but did not seem to lose consciousness.

But it could very well have been something that he smelled that struck him as dangerous. If it happens in that area again, you might want to pick a different place to drive to for your walk. :o