Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New here with sick elderly dog

Paulette55
March 16th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Hi..
I'm new to the forum. Our hearts are breaking as we anticipate losing yet another one of our dogs. My husband just lost his beloved Basset in October and it's much too soon for another. We adopted Ginger and also Precious from a friend who had cancer. She didn't want to put the dogs down, but could no longer care for them. Sadly, she died a few weeks after we took them. My husband has been laid off and has just fallen in love with Ginger. We have had them for about a year. Ginger has some neurological difficulties, but none-the-less has been quite happy with us. She has put on some much needed weight and is the Queen here. This last week, she has struggled to stand and has had some bowel and bladder accidents. The vet feels that she may have had a stroke and has her on Prednisone. The first day she rallied some, but this weekend has been pretty bad for her. She just lays on her dog bed, can't get up by herself and for the first time throughout this ordeal, she is refusing to eat. She is bright eyed and doesn't seem to be in pain. I think if we don't see a change tomorrow..we will need to make a decision...I'm dreading it. Thanks for listening..Paulette

Winston
March 16th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Paulete so sorry your having to go through this! I hope Ginger is comfy and your giving her lots of lovin! We are all thinking of you during this horrible time. It is never easy to think of even losing the ones we love!

Cindy
:candle:

clm
March 16th, 2008, 07:27 PM
It's so hard to make these decisions. I'm so sorry you're going through this.

Cindy

hazelrunpack
March 16th, 2008, 08:41 PM
:grouphug: I'm so sorry, Paulette. Most of us here have gone through similar circumstances at one time or another and understand what you and your husband are going through. We're here for you any time you need to talk, vent, or just want some kind words.

Your family is in our thoughts and prayers.

:candle:

edslinda
March 18th, 2008, 07:03 PM
I'm so sorry I have tears streaming down. It doesn't seem fair that our dogs are not able to be with us longer. :pray: