Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog bark

Dizzebby
March 16th, 2008, 04:21 PM
hi. Every time we have our border collie/lab Ebony in the pet store and she sees other dogs, Ebony bares her teeth, starts barking and pulling on her leash.
I don't know if she wants to play with them or eat them. I have to try to pull her away and distract her, which usually works, but I don't know if she has a problem with them or not. It happens every week when she goes to our training class. Most smaller dogs, she is ok with but other times she does the same thing as she does with the larger ones.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop this habit? Is anyone going through this? I think I need some help with this.
Tommy's mom is going to post some pictures of her when we were with them this weekend. I hope she posts a few of Ebony and Tommy together.

Tommysmom
March 16th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Just a bit more detail...

This weekend Mom brought Ebby to see us and we took Tommy outside so the fuzzbutts could say hello on neutral ground, because Tommy is always terrified of other doggies - this has worked well for us in the past with Tommy and Ebby.

This time, we brought Tommy outside and Ebby was on leash and she freaked out - snarling, barking, teeth bared, etc. She looked like she was ready to tear Tommy to shreds!

Once inside she was adorable all day and overnight. She kept trying to play with Tommy and was actually fairly submissive to him - he won't play with doggies, he's too scared, but when she got in his face too much he'd snarl/growl at her and she'd lie down in front of him and be quiet. Ebby would rooooooroooooo trying to get him to play, and he'd just look at her and she'd get down on her tummy and wait for him to play (which he wouldn't - but that's another thread, LOL, that's Tommy's issue, not Ebby's!).

She is a WONDERFUL dog - and gentle as they come, too... except when on a leash in the presence of other leashed or unleashed doggies.

Tommysmom
March 16th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Pictures from the weekend...

Snoozing on the couch together - and they're touching:eek:.

If I don't look at her then I don't have to know she's touching me...

This is MY sunshine!

allymack
March 16th, 2008, 06:58 PM
i think ebony has leash aggression, my dog (border collie) has the same problem. I am dog a lot of dog desensitizing, which seems to be working. if you have a dog park nearby or a field or anything like that where there are dogs, Give ebony lots of exercise, and then go sit on a bench near that area [with tons of tasty treats] at Ebony's threshold distance (how far or close she can be to dogs without her freaking out) and every time a dog comes in to view start handing out bite sized treats, like a lot machine keep giving them to her until the dog is out of sight. When the dog is out of sight the treats stop. When she can handle that perfectly, 3-5 feet closer, she may go back a bit to the way she was before, barking, baring teeth, lunging, but just be the slot machine and give out treats non stop until she can handle that perfectly and then move 3-5 feet closer..etc, etc! Also when your at home, do eye contact exercises, hold a treat in one hand, out to the side of you (arms length) she will most likely stare at the treat for a bit and then give you eye contact (as to ask you for it) get another treat and give it to her. do this for a while and she will start to give you eye contact quicker because she will learn what she has to do to get the treat. practice this outside in your yard, and where there are distractions. Go back to the bench where the dogs will go by often, and sit at her threshold, and start doing the eye contact exercises there this way she will learn to give you eye contact when there are dogs around, and keep doing these as you move closer and closer to where the dogs are. it will take a lot of work, but if you are consistent it will start to pay off and you will see the results, i know i have seen some really good improvements in Enzo so far. He cant walk face on to them but is improving.

Also another thing if you are walking Ebony and you see another dog coming towards on the same side of the street go to the opposite side of the street and do the eye contact exercises, and try to manage her as best as you can. it will start to get easier to manage her after a few week of the desensitizing.

Also if there are dogs you see everyday, Maybe Tommy could help you out here, go for a walk with them, this may seem like an impossible feat, but trust me it really isn't. Start out on the opposite sides of the road, or as far apart as you need to be and just walk until Ebony settles down, and then move a little bit closer and keep walking and move a little bit closer etc, etc. The next time you go for a walk with that same dog it will be a lot easier, you may only have to be 5 feet away instead of 10 feet away. I have done this with a few of my friends dogs and now Enzo can walk face on to them (which is the hardest part for him) and he doesn't bark or growl or lunge, he does pull a bit, but a check on the leash reminds him to stay by me. Try and do this with as many dogs as you can, and each time you are going for a walk with another dog say ' Ebony, do you want to go for a walk with TOMMY' emphasize the other dogs name, and Ebony will start to associate the dog with the name, which also helps to keep him calm when you see the other dog, all you have to do is say, oh look it's Tommy.

Also i suggest getting Ebony a Gentle Leader, they help a lot!

One last thing, The only time Enzo ever walked up to a dog, other then the ones he has walked before, was after he came back form the boarding kennel, he walked up to the other dog, sniffed it and laid down on his back to be sniffed by the other dog. He spent around 36 hours straight with about 10 other dogs with a few other dogs coming and going. I think if i left him there for a week, he would be a lot better now, but i could never leave him for that long. I think being with a group of other dogs for a while (many many many consecutive hours) helps to balance him out and it teaches them how to behave around other dogs and how to interact with them , i have thought of taking him to daycare at the same boarding kennel to help him out but i am not quite sure yet, i really think i might.

Sorry this is so long, but i hope it helps, if you have any questions you can pm me. :)

Frenchy
March 16th, 2008, 07:49 PM
My Daisy used to do the same when on leash. I guess they feel trapped.

Ebony and Tommy are too cute together ! :cloud9:

Dizzebby
March 17th, 2008, 12:01 PM
I took Ebony out for a loooooong walk just now, but couldn't find any other dogs. Ebony DID come up against 2 tree trimmer men. She was scared when she heard the motors on the limbs. When the sound stopped, then O Mighty Brave One started barking at the men. But alas, no doggies. She is fine when we come across people.
I DO have a gentle leader, but I forgot all about using it. I will use it when we go out near other dogs.
I don't want to take her to a dog park. I'm scared she will run into a dog not very combatible for her and the fight would be on. A regular park will be good when the snow is gone and we can play games and do the other dog things to train her.
Ebony is very sleepy now after her walk.:sleepy::sleepy: