Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pregnant cat?

KatieA
June 19th, 2004, 11:29 PM
my cat got out of the house about a month ago she was in heat, and there was a male cat hanging out outside. my mom picked her up and there was blood. my cat keeps getting outside with the male. how can i tell if she is pregnant and if she is and still get act as if she is in heat?
:confused: Katie

Lucky Rescue
June 20th, 2004, 12:11 AM
Here's what you do: Make a vet appointment ASAP and get your cat spayed. Better late than never.

Spoiled
June 20th, 2004, 11:11 AM
If she is pregnant, have her aborted, and if she isn't, have her spayed.

KatieA
June 20th, 2004, 08:22 PM
I don't have a problem with my cat being pregnant, if she is, i just wanted to know how i could tell without going to the vet.

KatieA
June 20th, 2004, 08:26 PM
PLEASE understand, I am not an irresponsible pet owner. My cats are indoor cats and I take very good care of them. This one just happened to find a way outside-which has since been corrected. I will get her spayed after she has kittens, if she is pregnant. My other cats and dogs ARE spayed. I was asking a simple question, folks...how to tell if a cat if pregnant. Don't preach to me, just answer my question if you can. :)

Lucky Rescue
June 20th, 2004, 08:35 PM
Don't preach to me, just answer my question if you can.

I wasn't going to bother with this, because the "Help I think my cat is pregnant!" posts are getting so tiresome, but that comment kind of irked me. Excuse me, but this isn't a help desk, but a public forum. When you choose to post here, anyone may give an opinion, if you like it or not.

You call yourself a responsible owner. Sorry, but a responsible owner wouldn't have an unspayed cat, and especially a pregnant cat. What are you going to do with up to 7 kittens, if you can't get all of them RESPONSIBLE, lifetime homes, where (unlike your cat) they will be spayed and neutered?

Do you know how many litters of kittens are being dumped in shelters at this time of year? Do you care? Why was this cat not spayed, if you are SO responsible?

To answer your question, you CAN'T tell if your cat is pregnant, but logic(and only a rudimentary knowledge of cats) dictates that a cat in heat who is outside likely IS pregnant. You can still redeem yourself by doing the mature and responsible thing and have her aborted and spayed right now,but I'm sure you won't, cause kittens are "so cute", right?

And I have every right to "preach", as I and many others like me are the ones getting the "Help me with this litter of kittens, I can't keep them" phone calls!

Karin
June 20th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Exactly what LR said.

mona_b
June 20th, 2004, 10:21 PM
Amen LR........... :)

KatieA
June 21st, 2004, 12:42 AM
If your such a perfect person im sure you take in any cat you find right? I dont have my cat spayed right now because we are tight on money and we need to make sure we have enough for our needs, we just had our 2nd cat spayed and we were going to have our third one spayed but we had an emergency with another animal so we put it off. I didnt say anything about an opinion, i said about preaching, like you are, telling me I'm irresponsible and what i SHOULD do instead of giving me advice. If you werent going to bother with this then why did you? I'm not looking for a [delete rude word] to tell me im irresponsible when they dont even know me. Once you get to know me then you can say whatever you would like, but until then, you have no right. Not everyone has to have their cat spayed. If its an outdoor cat, yes they should, but if they keep it indoors then if should be up to them. Why should i have my cat aborted, when i have a home for them if she is pregnant. I was just asking if theres any way to tell if you cat is pregnant and if she can still become in heat if she is, if she cant, then my cat isnt pregnant. once again, dont you dare tell me what to do.

KatieA
June 21st, 2004, 12:44 AM
Here's what you do: Make a vet appointment ASAP and get your cat spayed. Better late than never.

That answer was fine, thats all you had to say.

Karin
June 21st, 2004, 06:09 AM
If your such a perfect person im sure you take in any cat you find right? I dont have my cat spayed right now because we are tight on money and we need to make sure we have enough for our needs, we just had our 2nd cat spayed and we were going to have our third one spayed but we had an emergency with another animal so we put it off. I didnt say anything about an opinion, i said about preaching, like you are, telling me I'm irresponsible and what i SHOULD do instead of giving me advice. If you werent going to bother with this then why did you? I'm not looking for a bitch to tell me im irresponsible when they dont even know me. Once you get to know me then you can say whatever you would like, but until then, you have no right. Not everyone has to have their cat spayed. If its an outdoor cat, yes they should, but if they keep it indoors then if should be up to them. Why should i have my cat aborted, when i have a home for them if she is pregnant. I was just asking if theres any way to tell if you cat is pregnant and if she can still become in heat if she is, if she cant, then my cat isnt pregnant. once again, dont you dare tell me what to do.

Web Board Foul.....

cutelittlemako
June 21st, 2004, 09:48 AM
If you don't have enough money to get a cat spayed, how are you going to support the possible 6 kittens? I know cats are relatively not expensive animals (compared to dogs anyways), but you'll still have to feed them, get litter, more litter boxes, bowls... And what if one of them gets sick?

Good luck with your cats :) - And I hope that your cat is not pregnant.

mona_b
June 21st, 2004, 10:29 AM
Sorry,but it doesn't matter is they are indoor or outdoor,ALL cat's should be fixed....My indoor ones are.

And what do you think the name LuckyRescue means?... :mad:

Exactly Mako...... :rolleyes:

The name calling is NOT needed on this site....... :mad:

Lucky Rescue
June 21st, 2004, 10:49 AM
Can't you defend your irresponsibility without cursing?;)

If its an outdoor cat, yes they should, but if they keep it indoors then if should be up to them.

Obviously, you didn't keep yours indoors, did you?

No, I'm far from perfect, but YES, we try and save every cat we can, but people like you make it very very difficult.

You should educate yourself about the overpopulation of cats, stop getting pets you can't care for, and lose the attitude. You might learn something. :D

rebel24
June 21st, 2004, 10:54 AM
well i for one would like to say yes indoor animals sometimes do get out the house when you open a door and if they are in heat they can be gone in a flash and not listen to you at all. i do not think that makes someone a bad pet owner. these things do sometimes happen. i believe she said she was gonna get the cat fixed(spayed) but another animal got sick and they were tight on money so they took care of the sick animal first and i don't see anything wrong with that. :confused:

mona_b
June 21st, 2004, 01:07 PM
A responsible owner would have their cats fixed.Be it indoors or not.As to NOT bring unwanted kittens into this world.Like so many have.Just check out the shelters and you would see.

This person has stated they were on a tight buget.What if this cat is pregnant and has complications?How are they to afford taking it to the vet?How would they afford to needle these kittens when they come of age?

I uderstand and think she did a great job taking care of the sick one first...But don't you think that this cat couldn have gotten spayed when she got her??????

rebel24
June 21st, 2004, 03:52 PM
in a perfect world yes but this world ain't perfect. if she lives in an area like where i live money is extremely tight like you wouldn't believe. but it is not right to say some of the things people say on here to other people ya'll don't know all the facts before you go talking b.s. at people. now this is not directed to just one person but quite a few and they know who they are!

cutelittlemako
June 21st, 2004, 03:56 PM
We were simply pointing out that in the long run, spaying a cat is FAR less expensive than it having kittens! That's all, no B.S. here!

mona_b
June 21st, 2004, 04:25 PM
Sorry but we don't BS here...We tell it like it is...If money gets tight,then borrow it..If you can't afford to have things done for your pet,then find it a home with someone who can provide for that animal..

Luba
June 21st, 2004, 04:30 PM
LMAO

So no money to spay the cat but you can afford all the vet bills for all the kittens and the emergency surgery should the cat have difficulty in labour.

And I guess you'll have no problem spay/neutering ALL the kittens that come from this deal.

And YES you ARE an irresponsible pet owner period! If your cat wasn't altered it should have stayed INDOORS!!

Funny how cats get outside all the time and nobody knows how they do it huh! :eek:
What a pile of manure!

rebel24
June 21st, 2004, 05:24 PM
well cats can run when gets opened its no that unusal so get over yourselves ain't nobody perfect. i understand loving your pets and all animals in general but ya'll can get things across to people a little nicer like civil people. on other boards people are actually to people when they have a question and not just start jumping down people throats. and making assumptions about people. ya'll do that alot on this forum and that is alot of b.s. so i guess ya'll are so much better than everyone else. no ya'll are just (delete ignorant insult). point blank.

Lucky Rescue
June 21st, 2004, 06:36 PM
rebel, I see you have quite an extensive vocabulary. Cut out the swearing, and if people here are so terrible, you are welcome to leave anytime.

I stand by what I said. It's not rocket science to keep a cat in heat indoors.

Luba
June 21st, 2004, 06:39 PM
Here a bleep there a bleep everywhere a bleep bleep!

rebel24
June 21st, 2004, 07:12 PM
sorry about the language i used in my last post. but it just angers me to hear being put down when we do not know the person. just what the put on a computer. i just think things could be done different when people have questions. nobody on here is an expert unless they are a lin. vet. i do feel ya'll at times give good advise but at times take things a little too far.

Luba
June 21st, 2004, 08:44 PM
So you've been lurking around the forum but joined recently or you are observing from this one thread of yours?

And btw logic is logic, your cats not fixed keep it indoors.

You should at this point however consider having the cat spayed now, even though it is pregnant. There are thousands of kittens born and thousands of cats born that homes are not available for so they end up getting PTS.

You may find a home for the kittens but there is a good chance it may not be their permanent home. Why not stop contributing to pet over population 'now' and get the cat spayed.

There are several places which offer very very low cost spay programs.

Pls consider.

rebel24
June 21st, 2004, 08:49 PM
did you ask me if i just joined or the orignal poster. i have been enrolled here a few weeks made a few posts. as for the low cost spay/neuter programs no all areas have them. the closest one to us is over 90 miles away.

babykitty
June 22nd, 2004, 12:52 PM
KatieA, I understand that money is tight, believe me I know how bad it can be. I'm in school paying tuition, my boyfriend supports the household and we have a lab that has just been diagnosed with hip displasia(on both sides), our treatment right now consists of pills and weight management, until next year when we have a full hip replacement for her. But we still have our 2 cats fixed, and our dog and we do with out the things that we don't need, like going out to eat, movies, junk food. You can always find a way, because common sense says that 1 spayed/neutered animal costs less in the long run than 8 animals that aren't. check out the effect of unwanted animals go to www.actionagainstpuppymills.zoomshare.com GO TO PHOTOS, THEN UNWANTED DOGS. (warning graphic photos)I know that this is a puppymill site but there are pictures of what happens when people bring animals into the world. This is what the others are trying to point out to you, so don't be defensive it's just that most of them work or volunteer with rescue and see this happening every day.

Luba
June 22nd, 2004, 02:48 PM
Fine then tell me where you are and I'll find a low cost program for you!

mona_b
June 22nd, 2004, 03:12 PM
Well you really don't have to be a licenced vet to tell someone to get their indoor cat that's in heat that got out of the house spayed....... :D

Princesss04
June 22nd, 2004, 04:11 PM
babykitty, that is so sad. It breaks my heart to see things like that. I think everytime people find a puppymill and it gets closed down they should take that person and make them live in that environment and treat themt the way they treated those animals and see if they like it. :mad:

rebel24
June 22nd, 2004, 05:21 PM
i live in a small county called brantley county in se georgia if you can find a place less then 90 miles away from where i live then hey i am all for it i have called around and looked online and i have not found anything. so let me know if you find something. i am not trying to be rude but i have looked and i could not find a place but i could be wrong maybe you know a place. but if it is 90 miles away it kinda defeats the propose of being low cost. imo

Luba
June 22nd, 2004, 06:11 PM
Not sure where that is but I found this for you, hope it helps ya! :D Something here should be close to where you are!

GEORGIA STATEWIDE
SpayGeorgia
Phone: (770) 662-4479
Low cost spay/neuter services for pet owners in financial need - call for costs and info

METRO ATLANTA
SPOT [Stopping Pet Overpopulation Together]
Box 801012
Acworth,GA 30101
Phone: (404) 584-SPOT(7768)
Email: info@spotsociety.org
Free and low-cost spay and neuter assistance for pet owners in need
and those working with feral cats who do not qualify for any other program.

CAROLL COUNTY:

Carroll County Humane Society
Carroll, Haralson and Heard Counties
Phone: (770) 830-2763
Call to have mailed or purchase certificates at Scarlett's Unique Pets in Villa Rica (770-459-9466) and the Carroll County Animal Control Shelter in Carrollton (770-834-8150).
Cats - male $15, female $35. Dogs - male $30, female $40.

CHATHAM COUNTY:

Animal Welfare and Rescue Effort (AWARE)
PO Box 31046
Savannah, GA 31046
Phone: (912) 920-8605
Certificates for discount spay/neuter.

CHEROKEE COUNTY:

Cherokee County Humane Society
Phone: (770) 928-5115
Spay-Neuter Assistance Program (SNAP) is designed to provide no-cost altering of companion animals for the county's residents who cannot afford to pay for this important procedure.

SPARE (Sterilizing Pets And Reducing Euthanasia)
P.O. Box 428
Woodstock, Ga 30188
Phone: (770) 928-5120
Email: spareofga@yahoo.com
They serve the North Georgia area. and subsidize spays and neuters for cats, dogs, kittens, and puppies at least 8 weeks of age. FREE spays and neuters for pets of anyone receiving financial assistance (food stamps, disability, WIC, peachcare, etc.). Low cost certificates available for general public.

Townlake Animal Hospital
Woodstock, GA
Phone: (770) 591-9500
Email: ahtl@drweaver.com

CLARK COUNTY:

Pet Assistance and Welfare Society (PAWS) of Athens
Phone: (706) 310-0663
Low- or no-cost spay/neuter services to the elderly, disabled and indigent

COBB COUNTY:

Humane Society of Cobb County
1060 Al Bishop Drive
Marietta, GA 30060
Phone: (770) 428-9882
Low cost spay/neuter certificates. Cats - male $30, female $40. Dogs - male $40, female $60

SANTA - Spay and Neuter Team of Atlanta
1670 Lower Roswell Rd
Marietta, GA
Phone: (678) 560-6070
Very low cost spay/neuters

COWETA COUNTY:

Newnan-Coweta Humane Society
Phone: (770) 253-4694
Financial assistance for spaying of female cats only

DEKALB COUNTY:

DeKalb County Humane Society, Inc.
Phone: (770) 593-1155
This service is available only to families who meet the low-income requirements. Please call (770) 593-1155 for detailed information if you think you are eligible. Low cost spay/neuter certificates. Cats - male $16, female $36. Dogs - male $41, female $46. Will evaluate your situation if you cannot afford them.

FORSYTH COUNTY:

Operation Spay/Neuter
Cumming, GA
Phone: (770) 887-1565
Free or subsidized spay/neuters for those who qualify

Pet Vet (Dr. Land)
Cumming, GA
Phone: (770) 887-1565
Very low cost spay/neuters. Cats - male $29, female $39. Dogs - $49-69 depending on weight

FRANKLIN COUNTY:

Humane Society of North Georgia
Email: litternot@direcway.com
Phone: (706) 384-3688
Cats - male $25, female $38. Dogs - male $40, female $50

FULTON COUNTY:

Atlanta Humane Society
981 Howell Mill Road, NW
Atlanta, GA 30318
Phone: (404) 875-2600
Performs spay/neuter surgeries. Cost of surgery is based on income, must fill out application and then will be quoted a price.

Cat Care Hospital
Marietta, GA
Phone: (770) 424-6369
Scheduled once a month, low cost spay/neuter services

Friends of Animals
Phone: (770) 662-6033
Low cost spay/neuter certificates. Cats - male $40, female $55. Dogs - male $54, female $75

SPOT [Stopping Pet Overpopulation Together]
Metro Atlanta
PO Box 801012
Acworth, GA 30101
Phone: (404) 584-SPOT(7768)
Email: info@spotsociety.org
Free and low-cost spay and neuter assistance for pet owners in need and those working with feral cats who do not qualify for any other program.

Humane Services of Metro Atlanta
Lilburn, GA

HARALSON COUNTY:

Call to have mailed or purchase certificates at Scarlett's Unique Pets in Villa Rica (770-459-9466) and the Carroll County Animal Control Shelter in Carrollton (770-834-8150). Cats - male $15, female $35. Dogs - male $30, female $40.

HEARD COUNTY:

Call to have mailed or purchase certificates at Scarlett's Unique Pets in Villa Rica (770-459-9466) and the Carroll County Animal Control Shelter in Carrollton (770-834-8150). Cats - male $15, female $35. Dogs - male $30, female $40.

PAULDING COUNTY:

Paulding County Animal Control
Phone: (770) 445-1511
Will help with spays and neuters based on financial need

Paulding County Humane Society
Phone: (770) 443-3565
Has a low-cost spay / neuter program

RICHMOND COUNTY:

CSRA Life Saver
Phone: (706) 373-8348
Spay and Neuter prices: Male Cat = $30.00; Female Cat = $45.00; Male Dog = $55.00; Female Dog = $60.00 under 50 pounds, $70.00 over 50 pounds

heidiho
June 22nd, 2004, 06:14 PM
That is some sick sh%^ i have never seen anything like that,about 5 pics was all i could look at,i would torture those people,the excat same method they do to the animals,if could..................

rebel24
June 22nd, 2004, 06:19 PM
all those are in middle to northern georgia. in other words a long ways away.

Luba
June 22nd, 2004, 06:23 PM
This one says to contact them state wide for info and assist
GEORGIA STATEWIDE
SpayGeorgia
Low cost spay/neuter services for pet owners in financial need - call for costs and info

rebel24
June 22nd, 2004, 06:33 PM
i have already talked to "friends of animals" nothing close to us savannah is 90 miles away. spay/neuter usa no program close to here. humane society next county over does not want to help. vets around here do not want to help with the problem. so see i have tried and looked into these areas for help but there is none to help. as for the number you gave i can not call them it is long distance which i do not have. if they had e-mail i would e-mail them but i could not find an e-mail adress.

Luba
June 22nd, 2004, 07:08 PM
Try this
1-800-248-SPAY

rebel24
June 22nd, 2004, 07:15 PM
i'll give them a try what is the name of the company?

Luba
June 22nd, 2004, 07:22 PM
Sorry just had the number posted, I don't know