Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

6 mnth Boxer pup not eating

Ang-Lew
March 16th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Lewis has decided that he's not going to eat his breakfast anymore. It's been 4 days now. He will, however, eat most of his supper. I feed him the exact same food for each meal. I would be much more worried if his behaviour had changed otherwise but he's still the same energetic, bouncy puppy. Although I must admit he seems a bit lazy today....

Anyone with Boxer experience know if this is likely just a "picky" stage he's going through? He's growing very quickly and isn't heavy to begin with so I don't want him to start losing weight.
Thanks! :dog:

clm
March 16th, 2008, 08:32 PM
My 2 pups (not boxers), started showing less interest in 2 meals a day at around that age. During the week especially, they have no interest in the morning meal. On weekends, when we're home they are more likely to eat both meals. I cut the morning meal back by about 1/3 on the weekends and they usually eat both meals.

Cindy

duttypaws
March 16th, 2008, 08:35 PM
my dog did this (not a boxer) when he was a pup he chose when he was ready to stop eating so much.... hes just growing up :)

the gang
March 16th, 2008, 09:15 PM
good luck, what food do you feed him???? i have no probelm with my pups they eat 3 times a day, min pins lol ,i swear by orjen they go nuts for it, brenda and the pins.

Ang-Lew
March 17th, 2008, 12:31 AM
He gets California Natural Lamb Meal and Rice for puppies....plus veggie mix that I make and mix in. He's been loving it up until now.
His breeder (who I emailed today as well :)) suggested that because he's in a 1 dog household he doesn't feel the need to scarf down his meals like her dogs do. Good point, I think.
As a new owner of this breed (I'm used to Dobermans) I'm probably overreacting but it's great to hear other views.

SnowDancer
March 17th, 2008, 02:23 PM
I agree with other posters, but would keep an eye on him anyway since Boxers do often suffer from health problems. I do not have a Boxer, but my dog's groomer has always had Boxers - and her 3 NEVER skip a meal. We now have only one dog but that doesn't stop him from practically inhaling his food. I expect all is well, just best to keep an eye out...