Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Looking for Similar Experiences

tadpolelives
March 16th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Hi there, my very first post here is a sad one. It's a little long, sorry.

My best friend had her Yorkie pup in for neutering two weeks ago. During surgery, he apparently had a heart attack. He was revived and the vets kept him in clinic for two weeks before sending him home to recover because there wasn't anything further they could do for him. They felt familiar surroundings might aid his recovery. The vet told my friend that they expected Winston (the pup) to recover, but could not provide any sort of time frame. Prior to coming home he was on an IV line and had a catheter.

His symptoms: he's blind, cannot stand, even with assistance, has had several post-surgical seizures, can move, but his movements are more thrashing about than deliberate. Both nights he's been home (and most of the days) he cries constantly, a high-pitched, distressed cry.

He came home Friday afternoon. My friend just called me in tears, to tell me she and her husband have decided to end the pup's suffering. She hasn't slept since Friday, and neither has Winston.

My question: has anyone here gone through a similar experience, and if so, what was the outcome? I'd like to be able to ease my friend's mind, because she feels terribly guilty that she allowed his suffering to go on as long as it has. The vet assured her that Winston would recover.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

hazelrunpack
March 16th, 2008, 03:47 PM
I'm so sorry that Winston and your friends are going through this. :grouphug: I've got no advice to offer, unless they're willing to seek out a second opinion? Maybe new eyes can offer them a treatment or give them some hope--and if not, it might at least make the decision easier for your friends.

My thoughts and prayers are with Winston and his people. :candle:

coppperbelle
March 16th, 2008, 05:43 PM
How awful. It certainly doesn't sound like the pup will recover if it is still in such bad shape. I think a second opinion is definitely in order. The vet may be trying to cover something up.

Last summer my daughter and her boyfriend lost their little dog during spay surgery.