Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog/cat hypochondria

heavypetting
March 15th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Hi there,

I was just wondering if anybody here feels like they might be a dog or cat hypochondriac. I have had these impulses myself, always thinking the worst if anything goes wrong with my dog or cats, often to the tune of hundreds of dollars (for unnecessary x-rays, etc).

I am a newspaper writer and I have decided to make this the topic of my next column. I would love to hear stories from anyone (anyone Canadian, that is!) who feels like this might be their weakness as well...

Thanks!

heavypetting
March 15th, 2008, 08:32 PM
http://www.startribune.com/pet_central/11922556.html

hazelrunpack
March 15th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I have eight dogs and could regale you with tales right up your alley. But, alas, we all live in Wisconsin. :p

:D

MOOSEDRY
March 15th, 2008, 10:02 PM
hi heavy petting.

i found your theory very interesting.

in all honestly, though, i wouldn't put it down to people being "hypochondriac" when it comes to our pets. i believe we pet owners react strongly to the first sign of a problem due to the fact that, by the time a pet starts to exhibit unusual changes to their schedule or shows other symptoms, there can already be something that needs attention (cats especially are known for hiding their illnesses until something is seriously wrong).

also, animals, like babies, can't tell us what's wrong or where it hurts or how they are feeling. so, sometimes we've reacted to something that turns out to be nothing, other times it turns out to be life and death. i've experienced both - reacting too quickly, reacting too slowly. moving too slowly cost my cat his life, so if i tend to become concerned quickly over big symptoms, i guess it's because i would rather err on the side of caution.

however, i do agree that sometimes i feel like unnecessary diagnostic tools (= $$$) are being used. i am learning more and more as my pets age how important it is to ask questions.

tracy :cat:

Shaykeija
March 15th, 2008, 11:50 PM
After loosing a much loved furbaby to CRF, I am overly protective of my pets health. The way my husband phrases it is " If those animals of your farts sideways, they are off to the vet." LOL . I would rather be safe then sorry. Sorry can cause death quickly in your pets.

rainbow
March 16th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Ummmm.....can you tell us what Canadian newspaper you write for?

heavypetting
March 16th, 2008, 01:23 PM
The Globe and Mail

Deda Brada
March 17th, 2008, 11:15 AM
If we didn't love them, we surely wouldn't behave that way, but we do love them. Lot. Some people blame us for this, but they can't understand. Nothing is expensive when their health is in question. Someone said better safe than sorry. Great truth! What are we living for? Not for ourselves, not the people from this forum!

Mud's Mom
March 19th, 2008, 09:29 PM
We have had many dogs with many personalities and lots of medical problems so yes it is easy to jump to conclutions. When we moved to a new area 5 years ago I interviewed more vets for my kids than I did doctors for myself.

But some times you need to follow your gut. My GWP was my canine soulmate. He and I had a bond like with no other dog I've had. Late last july I told my husband that there was somrthing wrong with him. Hubby was surprised because there were no symptoms at all. All I could tell him is that once in a while Mud would just look at me and I knew. I called the vet, she asked for symptoms and I had none to give her. He'd just been in for a yearly check up a few months before but she knows I don't usualy imagine these things. A check up and blood work revieled nothing. He appeared a perfectly healthy 8 y/o.

I continued to have a feeling about him - he would sometimes just give me a look. Hubby said I was a hypocondriac about it. Then first week in sept I felt a very small flatish lump on the side of his abdomin. Made an apointment with vet for the next monday because we were heading out of town for a few days. That monday was a very hard day. He had a tumor on his kidney. several on his liver and had developed a stong heart murmer. Vet said she could hardly believe it herself because he bounded into the vets office his ussual self. She said it looks like a fast moving cancer and she thought he might not last till the end of September.

We had a good fall - he was a hunting dog and when the season opened in Oct I decided he needed to keep having fun so we spent lots of time in the woods and fields. By mid November we were down to a few easy fetches in the yard a day and by December he was taking it real easy. By december we stopped the special diet and subQ fluids - he didn't like either. If he wanted cream puffs for dinner that's what he got. On the eve of Dec 23 he fell for the first time and seemed to loose all strength in his legs but appeared comfortable. I called the vet to make the dreaded apointment for the next day. Mud and I sat up infront of the fire all night. At about 5 am he had a massive seizer and died at home with me.

Any way this has gotten way off track for the original post. Sorry but once the flood gates opened........

Sometimes you just need to follow your gut