Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New tags for everybody

ancientgirl
March 15th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I've been wanting to get the gang some tags, especially since Vlad now and then gets past me with I open the door. He's good, he doesn't go but a few feet and comes inside when I call him, but Oksana got out yesterday now too, to see what all the fuss is about no doubt. So I got them some little tags. They aren't engraved, but they have a clear plastic on the back. You write kitty's name and your phone number then put the clear plastic on top. I want to get them some engraved ones, but the ones I like are expensive, so I figured these would be good to use in the meantime.

Here's Vlad with his. It's just like Oksana's but the background is blue. I also got him a more "butch" collar. LOL, poor guy, lost the other Harley Davidson one I had for him and he's been wearing an orange one with flowers.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/The%20Fantastic%20Four/048-1.jpg

Here's Oksana. See, her's is the same, but her background is pink.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/The%20Fantastic%20Four/056-1.jpg

Here's Vlad giving me the eye.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/The%20Fantastic%20Four/054-1.jpg

ancientgirl
March 15th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Here's Tiny Miss. This picture came out very nice. Hers says Good Kitty. I like getting her and Oksana cute pink girly stuff.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/The%20Fantastic%20Four/052-2.jpg

Maks' little fish bones. LOL, I looked for a Harley collar for him but they didn't have one small enough for him. I think black looks good on him though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/The%20Fantastic%20Four/053-2.jpg

KimandAutumn
March 15th, 2008, 02:27 PM
oh wow those are really cute, where did you get them?

ancientgirl
March 15th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I got them at Petsmart. They were about $4.99 each.

otter
March 15th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Those are so cute! everybody is looking very well "dressed" and beautiful as every

If you are still looking for engraved tags that aren't too expensive there are some you can order online pretty cheap ($8.50 incl shipping)
http://www.aussiepettags.com/
(I hope that's OK to post a link to a site like that - mods please delete if needed)
I know people have ordered from them with good results

I thought there used to be a pets.ca sponsor that did tags.. but I can't seem to find it.:shrug:

Frenchy
March 15th, 2008, 03:54 PM
oh these are too cute ! I have collars with little cylinders (where you put a small paper with all the infos on it) but unless I know I would get many people at my house , coming and going , I never put their collars on by fear they would get caught in them while playing. Your cats never did this ?

hazelrunpack
March 15th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Cute tags, ancientgirl! I think Maks looks very debonair and sophisticated in black....and I'm glad Vlad was able to finally get some "more suitable" attire...flowers, indeed! *sniff* :D

Of course, the girls look lovely in their pink tags and stylish collars. :cat:

We finally had to give up on tags--the dogs lie down on the deck and the tags slip through between the deck boards and get stuck. In the panicked attempt to get up off the deck, the tags get ripped off. :rolleyes: So we get those flat engraved ones now that just slip over their collars. :thumbs up I must say that your kitties are much more fashionable! :o

ancientgirl
March 15th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Those are so cute! everybody is looking very well "dressed" and beautiful as every

If you are still looking for engraved tags that aren't too expensive there are some you can order online pretty cheap ($8.50 incl shipping)
http://www.aussiepettags.com/
(I hope that's OK to post a link to a site like that - mods please delete if needed)
I know people have ordered from them with good results

I thought there used to be a pets.ca sponsor that did tags.. but I can't seem to find it.:shrug:

Oh those are cute. I've got that link on my work computer.

These are the tags i want:
http://www.cat-id-tags.com/

I'll get them at some point.

krdahmer
March 15th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Those are cute... I had that kind when I first started making them wear the collars too.

Did I tell you about these tags I bought yet?
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Custom-Engraved-Pet-ID-Name-Tag-Dog-Cat-Collar-Charm_W0QQitemZ350036095223QQihZ022QQcategoryZ5235 6QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You choose the tag style, colour, font, decals etc and they are 4.99/ea... engraved. shipping included.

Our Petsmart charges like 9.99 to 12.99 now for the tags, so I just order off ebay. Half price times 6 cats makes a big difference!

ancientgirl
March 15th, 2008, 04:15 PM
oh these are too cute ! I have collars with little cylinders (where you put a small paper with all the infos on it) but unless I know I would get many people at my house , coming and going , I never put their collars on by fear they would get caught in them while playing. Your cats never did this ?

Oh yeah, I'm terrified that they'll get caught on something. That's why I only buy them the break away collars. I've found them laying around now and then, so I feel good that I know they can't get caught on something because of their collar. I've seen some really pretty safety collars, but I don't think the elastic is good enough to help them get out of a hairy situation.

I wouldn't put collars or tags on them if I felt my place was more secure, but as you might have read they've been getting past my screen, so Vlad and Oksana and little Kiska have gotten out past me and into the hallway outside. So I figured I HAVE to put something on them. I don't think they'd run. They really haven't gotten very far when they get out and Vlad comes right back in when I call him. Oksana and Kiska got disoriented, when they got out, and I'm scared they might get confused and run off faster than I can run to them, so I figure a tag is a good idea. Anybody that might find them around here will at least see the tag and call me.

ancientgirl
March 15th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Those are cute... I had that kind when I first started making them wear the collars too.

Did I tell you about these tags I bought yet?
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Custom-Engraved-Pet-ID-Name-Tag-Dog-Cat-Collar-Charm_W0QQitemZ350036095223QQihZ022QQcategoryZ5235 6QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You choose the tag style, colour, font, decals etc and they are 4.99/ea... engraved. shipping included.

Our Petsmart charges like 9.99 to 12.99 now for the tags, so I just order off ebay. Half price times 6 cats makes a big difference!

I hadn't seen those. They're cute. I'm going to save the link and have a look at what all they have.

Hazel, I love those sliding ones. But I couldn't get one on a break away collar. And I was starting to feel bad for Vlad. LOL Poor guy had flowers on his collar.

hazelrunpack
March 15th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Hazel, I love those sliding ones. But I couldn't get one on a break away collar. And I was starting to feel bad for Vlad. LOL Poor guy had flowers on his collar.

Do they have the parachute buckle attachment? Yeah, that'd be tough to slide the tags on...

They make roll collars for dogs--with an O-ring half-way between the ends. That way, if they get the collar stuck on anything, it just rolls off over their head when they pull back. I don't suppose they make that sort of thing for cats. :shrug:

But the slide-on ones aren't nearly as cute as the haute couture ones you got the kitties! :lovestruck:

ancientgirl
March 15th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Yeah, it's got like those buckles. I've never seen the kind you described for cats. I've only seen the safety collars, which I don't like for them and the break-away kind.

I need to get Kiska a new one at one point, because the pink one she's got is getting dirty, LOL, but I'm picky.

duttypaws
March 15th, 2008, 06:58 PM

thats my fear so tend to get animals chipped and dont collar them... from fear of finding them chocked one day

p.s. they are really cute tags :)

ancientgirl
March 15th, 2008, 08:44 PM
I want to get them chipped at some point, but if they get out, the first thing people look for is a collar and tag. A stray is less likely to have one so your baby could be mistaken for one and taken to a shelter instead of having someone just call you right away.

The break away collars are very good. They are made so if they get caught on something they can as described "break away."

BusterKitty
March 15th, 2008, 10:23 PM
But at a shelter, won't they scan for a chip first? I saw these tags at PetSmart. I love the fish bone one!

krdahmer
March 16th, 2008, 12:16 AM
But at a shelter, won't they scan for a chip first? I saw these tags at PetSmart. I love the fish bone one!

Now there's the main issue with chips, some places yes... some no. And I ran into at a vets office once where their scanner wouldn't scan Buddy's chip at all and once where it could read the number of the chip, but got no other information from it, like which company it was with, so no access to my info. Collars and tags are always the first thing someone looks for. Buddy used to run across the hall into my neighbours appt at my old building, I'd usually get a call before I even noticed he was missing. Tags work great. Provided of course that they get used to wearing them and don't pull a houdini and slip off the collar!

And this is very sad, but I also found out the hard way that the municipal folks who take care of those poor kitties hit on the highway, also do not check for chips. They just bag them and take them who knows where. :sad:

rainbow
March 16th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Cute pics but Maks definitely needs a Harley collar with his attitude. :D

growler~GateKeeper
March 16th, 2008, 02:54 AM
Cute Collars & Tags :thumbs up Were they prancing around showing them off to each other? :laughing:

chico2
March 16th, 2008, 07:47 AM
I got my tags free from Humane Societies web-site,even got a new set when I lost all their collars(accidentally thrown in the garbage,called a senior moment:laughing:)the have name and phone-number on one side,the other is a HS has contact info to HS,where they have been registered.

duttypaws
March 16th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Cute Collars & Tags :thumbs up Were they prancing around showing them off to each other? :laughing:

on the catwalk :headslap:

ok ok it was funnier in my head!

SARAH
March 16th, 2008, 11:15 AM

I used those at one time, but the end kept coming unscrewed and the paper fell out of course, so no info was left! :frustrated: Someone said to put clear polish over the whole thing to sceal it, but it still came unscrewed. You don't have that problem?

ancientgirl
March 16th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Now there's the main issue with chips, some places yes... some no. And I ran into at a vets office once where their scanner wouldn't scan Buddy's chip at all and once where it could read the number of the chip, but got no other information from it, like which company it was with, so no access to my info. Collars and tags are always the first thing someone looks for. Buddy used to run across the hall into my neighbours appt at my old building, I'd usually get a call before I even noticed he was missing. Tags work great. Provided of course that they get used to wearing them and don't pull a houdini and slip off the collar!

And this is very sad, but I also found out the hard way that the municipal folks who take care of those poor kitties hit on the highway, also do not check for chips. They just bag them and take them who knows where. :sad:

That's the huge downside of the chips. since there are different manufacturers, you have different scanners, so who's to say IF your cat did get away if they are taken somewhere where the scanner will read the chip. Those should all have some kind of a universal code to read all chips.

Rainbow, I definitely need to get Maks something to fit his attitude. LOL, I don't like the plain ones. He's the only one that has the plain collar, but when I went out looking for kitten ones, it was the only one they had for him. He's getting bigger now so it'll be easier to find something soon that will fit him.

SARAH
March 16th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Well, it's good to know they don't, since only Spoutnik is chipped (done when we adopted him at the SPCA), I won't waste my time and money chipping the other three! They will get new tags though, Dani broke hers, Misti never had one and Sheba's is fading (plastic)

ancientgirl
March 16th, 2008, 11:51 AM
I got my tags free from Humane Societies web-site,even got a new set when I lost all their collars(accidentally thrown in the garbage,called a senior moment:laughing:)the have name and phone-number on one side,the other is a HS has contact info to HS,where they have been registered.

You can register your pets at the Humane Society? How does that work?

ancientgirl
March 16th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Well, it's good to know they don't, since only Spoutnik is chipped (done when we adopted him at the SPCA), I won't waste my time and money chipping the other three! They will get new tags though, Dani broke hers, Misti never had one and Sheba's is fading (plastic)

I still want mine chipped at some point, like when I can afford it. I want all my bases covered, but I do think that tags are your first line of protection since they are most visible.

chico2
March 16th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Ash,I will check and see if I saved the web-site I got the tags from,ok!!
You can Google Humane Society of Canada and click on pet-recovery to register,but you are in the US,so I don't know if it works the same.

ancientgirl
March 16th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Thanks Chico, I'm going to check it out anyway.

FancyAppy
March 16th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Beautiful pictures, your cats are so healty and happy...the tags are great but I can't take my eyes off your kitties cute faces.

ancientgirl
March 16th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Thank you. Vlad and Oksana have grown into beautiful cats, and Maks and Kiska are following in their footsteps.