Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Foster dog help

bcgirls12
March 15th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I have a Border Collie foster and he is a wonderful dog, except for when it's time to vacuum. This guy will grab the beater bar and attack the vacuum as though he is going to kill it. I figure he has not been around noises of a every day household because he has alot of hangups with camera's , flashlights or anything that has light or makes noise. Most likely an outside dog until now, very hand shy, but on the hole a sweet guy who needs to learn what being a dog is really like. Any suggestions to get him over the vacuum part??
He is a little dangerous with cats also, but I know there isn't much I can do about that.

hazelrunpack
March 15th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Have you had him long? Our Brier also used to attack the vacuum, though he was never brave enough to bite the beater bar attachment. He preferred the wand brush--it didn't vibrate as loudly. :D Eventually, the behavior extinguished on its own. With 8 hairy nudniks running around I have to vacuum every day and he just paid it less attention each day. :shrug: He still tries to attack the string weed-whacker, though. :rolleyes:

Have you tried distracting him in another part of the room with a stuffed Kong or something else pleasurable?

bcgirls12
March 15th, 2008, 03:27 PM
I have had him 3 weeks now, and I vacuum quite often also. I have tried kongs, but the poor thing doesn't know what to do with it. I've tried toys, I have someone take him outstide or in another room and it's like he has radar and comes running in and grabs it. I think it's because he was never exposed to it in his past the same goes for kongs , toys , rawhide or anything. He's already 3 years old so I hope he'll get over it, for when he does find his new forever home.

hazelrunpack
March 15th, 2008, 04:03 PM
What if you just let it run and held it still? Think he might decide it's not worth attacking after a while? Is he putting tooth marks in the head?

bcgirls12
March 15th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I will try that and keep it still and see what he does, I've never had a foster react that crazy to a vacuum. I have them hide and run after it a little but never attack it. Will try thanks

want4rain
March 15th, 2008, 04:51 PM
spray it with bitter apple??? :shrug:

-ash

susieqt
March 15th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Put him oustside while you vacuum?

Dracko
March 15th, 2008, 08:30 PM
I agree with the poster about that you need to remove him from the area when you vacuum. If you don't want to do that you have to catch him BEFORE he attacks and tell him to sit, etc. Even if it means doing it every minute.

Dracko used to attach the vacuum, too. As he got older and listened better, I would have to correct him constantly as I vacuumed. He knew what the word "kennel" meant so I would point and say "kennel" when he would go to attack. He knew if he attacked he would go in his kennel. Today he doesn't attack the vacuum at all but it took years to accomplish this. LOL

bcgirls12
March 15th, 2008, 08:38 PM
I agree I could put him outside but what will happen when he goes to his new home once we find someone suitable for him. I was hoping to fix this before ,but maybe I can't. I have all the patience in the world and I understand where he's coming from. He doesn't know how to sit we are working on that now, and the regular commands of stay etc. He is such a good boy other than the vacuum part, and the cat part. He'll need someone who understands him, he has been abused and I wonder if something clicks when he hears noises or lights? This poor guy is afraid to chew on anything that he is given almost as if he was beaten for chewing, most likely something he shouldn't be chewing. I have my own dogs so I'm hoping he will learn it's okay to play with toys and kongs ect. He is such a sweetheart it breaks my heart to see him shy away from toys and things that he should be allowed to play with. I appreciate all your help and I will try everything to help him through this. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

poodletalk
March 15th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Wow, what a brave dog to attack the vacumn most dogs I know hide from it.

My dog use to chase attack the mop, what I did was practice her sit, STAY and I kept a close watch on her.

I made her sit and stay in the hallway, while I was moping the floor in the kitchen, she was close enough to see me mop but far away not to attack it right away.

The first couple of times when we pracitised sit and stay, she could only do it for a minute...but we kept practicing ..if she moved I told her "NO" STAY.

Then we started again, the thing is you have to watch your dog from the corner of your eye while your vacumming. If she moves, you have to give her the command again "stay". If she stays for awhile..reward her. Tell her she's a good girl and give her a treat.

Even she can only do it for a minute, still praise her. Lots of postive reinforcments, in time you will be able vacumn without her attacking it.

bcgirls12
March 16th, 2008, 07:28 PM
I will try everything that everyone suggested until I find a way to fix this poor guys vacuum attack mode.
thanks again

mmonroe
March 26th, 2008, 10:19 AM
they had this problem on the dog whisperer. what he did was sit or lay the dog away from the vacuum and every time the dog went towards the vacuum or looked at the vacuum, he got corrected. this will take a lot of patience and time, but if you are vigilant it can be corrected.