-->

Protest Tomorrow Seal Hunt Canada

poodletalk
March 14th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Please join other major cities across Canada this
Saturday, March 15, 2008
from 12:30pm to 1:30pm
at the corner of Ste-Catherine and McGill College

Since 2002, more than 1,600,000 harp seals have been clubbed and shot to death for their fur in Canada's commercial seal hunt. Another 275,000 will be killed during the next few months. The large-scale Canadian seal hunt begins in March on the East Coast after mother seals have given birth to their pups.

The Department of Fisheries and Oceans’ own facts state that the majority of harp and hooded seals killed are between just 3 weeks to 3 months of age. The seals are slaughtered primarily for their fur as there is very little market for seal meat and seal oil.

Although 75% of Canadians oppose this cruel and unnecessary hunt, it is promoted, protected and subsidized every year with YOUR tax dollars.

Please voice your opinion to the Canadian government!

Rallies in Montreal are being organized by CARA and Aequo Animo. Some members will brave the cold and strip down to expose the “naked truth” behind Canada’s seal slaughter. Other members will be leafleting.

I will be their, I hope to see some of you!

poodletalk
March 14th, 2008, 08:20 PM
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w297/smoochyourpoochs/sealhunt.jpg

Shaykeija
March 14th, 2008, 11:52 PM
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t189/LOVEPOWER_2007/babyseal1024cu1.jpg

:candle::candle::candle::candle::candle::candle::c andle::candle:

for all the ones that will be lost.......

rainbow
March 15th, 2008, 12:44 AM
I wish I was near a major city......it is time this ended. :sad: :frustrated: :mad:

poodletalk
March 15th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I hope some Montrealers are able to attend today!

rainbow
March 15th, 2008, 02:09 PM
I hope some Montrealers are able to attend today!

It's pretty slow here so hopefully there is a good turnpout in all the cities that have them going on. :goodvibes:

poodletalk
March 15th, 2008, 04:52 PM
The protest was ok, 4 people stripped down to their undies to protest the seal hunt. They must have been cold...brrrrr..

TV cameras were there, the protesters in their undies,caught alot of attention, hopefully the government will wake up and stop the seal hunt.:pray:

Click here to read about the protest in Montreal. http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hDS-1V2xEL_FCXSNsG9-CnTzfTzA

SARAH
March 25th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Poor little seals :cry:

First man over-fishes the seas, the seals have no food.
Then he kills too many polar bears, the seals have no enemies.
Seal population is out of control and eats what fish man has left behind.
Man wants the fish for himself, clubs seals.

See a recurring thread here? ?

poodletalk
March 25th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Sarah, they kill the seals for the fur not for any other reason. The reason they club the seals is, the fur is more valueable since theirs no bullet holes in it.
Sometimes, the seals do get shot but most of the time they are clubbed.

Many seals are also skinned alive, it's disgusting Canada allows this barbaric behaviour.

Love4himies
March 25th, 2008, 01:41 PM
This subject sickens me. Why does Canada not consider this cruelty to animals??? Are we allowed to do this to our pets, don't think so.:shrug:. We don't need seal fur in anything, we don't need any fur for that matter:yell:.

I heard the gov't won't do anything about it because some regions depend on the hunt for their economy :sad:.

:rip: baby seals :candle:

Love4himies
March 25th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Here is an old (2005) article that talks about the economy:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1110899554837_106308754/?hub=CTVNewsAt11

poodletalk
March 25th, 2008, 02:26 PM
CBC has a recent story and an active poll about Canada's fur industry is the latest group to tout itself as being green.

Take alook and vote!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/consumers/fur.html

Lifer
April 17th, 2008, 02:25 AM
Since 2002, more than 1,600,000 harp seals have been clubbed and shot to death[/B]

I used to catch chickens for a living. Hey someone had to catch them in order for you to eat them. Anyway, there was this one farm that I bet held over 250,000 at a time. That was just 1 chicken farm in rural Ontario. We went to a different chicken farm every single night over the course of 3-4 months, then the cycle of farms would start over again. Our crew caught over 1,000,000 chickens a month on average. And you're talking about 25500 seals a month, on average.

And btw, the way chickens are treated are way worse than a seal. First the lights in the barn are dimmed, they have poor eyesight (probably due to the mass steroids they are fed) and can't see us (the chicken catchers) coming at them. Before they know it, they are scooped up by their feet, carried 20-30 feet upside down to the awaiting truck, then slammed in a crate with 10-16 other chickens. Then after an hour or five truck ride, they are again hung upside down by their feet on a production line. They are electrocuted, their throats are slit, and then they are cut and wrapped for the consumer.

The seal on the other, gets knocked over the head once or twice.

My question, do you have as much passion for saving the chicken as you do for saving the seal?
And if so, where are all the rallies, banners, protests to "save the chicken"?

poodletalk
April 17th, 2008, 02:45 AM
Hey someone had to catch them in order for you to eat them.

I don't eat chicken...

where are all the rallies, banners, protests to "save the chicken"?

If you check out this thread, you will see all the protests people have to protect chickens http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf-8&fr=slv8-hptb5&p=kfc%20protests&type=

Our crew caught over 1,000,000 chickens a month on average.

That's something to be proud of! :sick:

Lifer
April 17th, 2008, 08:22 AM
I don't eat chicken...

Fair enough, I directed the question at you, only fair that you answer for yourself and only for yourself.

If you check out this thread, you will see all the protests people have to protect chickens http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf-8&fr=slv8-hptb5&p=kfc%20protests&type=

So all protests to protect chickens are actually KFC protests? You do know that the majority of chickens don't end up at KFC? Right? Hmm, nothing on pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/search.php?searchid=1787057) about chicken protests. Not a whole lot on Google (http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=chicken+protest&btnG=Search&meta=) either. You would think that if there were over 9 billion (http://www.vivausa.org/campaigns/chickens/index.html) chickens killed each year in the USA alone, there would be more push to 'save the chicken'. Heck, look at all the groups ready to stop the 'seal hunt' (http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=seal+hunt&btnG=Search&meta=).

The only, and I emphasize only, reason this seal hunt warrants so much attention, is because it happens once a year, and only for 2 months. Chickens on the other hand are killed by the millions daily. Now I have no problem with people protesting, I just don't agree when I see people "jumping on the bandwagon" because it's "the in thing to do" at the time. But hey, to each their own I always say. (I know, you don't agree with that philosophy either)

That's something to be proud of! :sick:

I don't remember saying I was proud of how many chickens I caught. I was merely putting something into perspective for you. And I do apologize for rattling your cage, but I was expecting more than a couple one-liners and a link to Yahoo as an argument.

Love4himies
April 17th, 2008, 11:29 AM
I guess unless one is a professional protester, one can't possible protest everything controversy in the world. Similar to which charity we donate our money to or our time to, we have to pick one or a couple, can't possible do them all. That's my :2cents:

poodletalk
April 17th, 2008, 01:59 PM
Lifer, if you look at other threads we already talked about the pro's and con's of the seal hunt. http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=50941

No, not all chickens go to KFC, my point is people are aware of chicken cruelty and trying to make a difference. There’s also farm sanctuaries which rescues farm animals, including chickens. (At the shelter I help, we have 2 BIG pigs, horses, a duck, dogs, cat and rabbits We even rescued turkey's couple of years ago.)

The seal hunt is the biggest massacre of marine animals in the world, if people feel passionate about trying to stop it or educate the public about it good for them! Along with people who are aware of the cruelty that get involves in KFC; puppymills and the list goes on.

My point of view is, if people feel passionate about something and want to make a difference for the better, they should do it no matter what the cause is and I will never pass judgement on them.

You didn't rattle my cage, far from it..I was tired.

Lifer
April 18th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Lifer, if you look at other threads we already talked about the pro's and con's of the seal hunt. http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=50941

Not to many facts in that thread, alot of passionate opinions though. But you mentioned something in that thread that bugs me. The only financial number protesters seem to know or mention is the "1% of provincial revenues".
Did you also know that seals represent about 25-35% of a fisherman's yearly income? You remove the seal hunt, what are these 5000+ fisherman going to do to earn income this time of year? I know, not your problem how one makes income and feeds his family. I am going to end this discussion here as I know it will go nowhere. I will say "people need to eat" and you will say "but it's just not right". And opinionated circle jerks are a complete waste of time.

poodletalk
April 18th, 2008, 08:12 AM
And opinionated circle jerks are a complete waste of time.

Thanks! I feel the same way about you!

chico2
April 18th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Lifer,we can compare the slaughter of chickens,pigs,cows,calves etc...until we are blue in the face,the horror of factory-farms,puppy-mills and the list goes on.
The Seal-"hunt"is still on top of my list as a shameful blot on Canada on par with the skinning of cats/dogs for fur in China.:evil:
I have listen to the minister trying to convince us how humane the butchery really is,then you see the weapon of choice and all we can do each and every year is cry,cry for these helpless little creatures:yell:
NOTHING anyone can say,will excuse this horror every year and it HAS TO stop!!
I

marko
April 18th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Lifer - This is poodletalk's thread about seals NOT chickens.

Please feel free to start another thread about chickens as you are threadjacking what many members feel is an important thread.

Thanks!

Marko

Lifer
April 19th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Lifer - This is poodletalk's thread about seals NOT chickens.

Please feel free to start another thread about chickens as you are threadjacking what many members feel is an important thread.

Thanks!

Marko
I apologize, and I wasn't trying to threadjack.

Considering the seal hunt will be over soon, as will the protesting of the hunt, I'll start a thread next year, when the seal hunt and the passion to protest it starts over again. Hopefully responders will have more to say than just "I know you are but what am I"...

mandynor
April 19th, 2008, 11:11 AM
I am saddend by the seal hunt...and I commend those who are putting themselves out there to show the world what is going on. I very much respect those fighting for the chickens, too. It's disgusting what goes on. :yuck:

As for the livelyhoods of the fishermen, yeah, that's true, it's a very valid point to consider. but it doesn't make me feel any better about the loss and cruelty to the seals. I still don't think it's right. maybe that's a weak arguement to some, but it feels strong within me...

mandy

Hogansma
April 19th, 2008, 05:03 PM
I too think the seal hunt is disgusting. Also, I have little sympathy for the sealhunters and their livelyhood. Not really a fair comparison, but in the past it was legal to own slaves. It wan't ethical but was part of someones livelyhood. That didn't make it right. In a lifetime, most people have to switch jobs just to make a living so sealhunters are no different.

I live near Vancouver but every year I seem to miss the protests and then hear about it on the news at night. I would definitely go if I knew in time. Mandynor, glad you started this thread.

Hogansma
April 19th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Oops, sorry, it was Poodletalk. (My brain is malfunctioning today.) Thank-you.

chico2
April 19th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Hogansma,it was actually Poodletalk who started the thread,but that's ok we all strive for the same thing.
As far as I know these fishermen are already beeing subsidized by the government,no work is no excuse for this horror happening every year.
Our government should show some backbone and stop this one thing for all,nobody needs to wear dead animals:evil:

marko
March 19th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Recent posts make this 1 year old thread go round and round; it has therefore run its course and has been edited/closed to its previous point.

Thanks,
Marko
Admin