Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat not eating

melrose123
March 14th, 2008, 01:29 PM
my cat has not been eating her food for approx. a week. she is losing weight. I tried different brands for food. still she would not eat. I tried can food next. it loves it. what could cause that and should I be concerned? thanks

allymack
March 14th, 2008, 01:32 PM
she might have a sore tooth or sore gums, and the regular dry food you are feeding her is hurting her gums, and the wet food is alot softer and easier on her teeth/gums, i think you should take her to the vet and have her checked out just to see if it is anything physical.

jowilson002
March 14th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Have you checked to see if your cat is running a fever?

I would probably take him or her to the vet to make sure that he/she is ok.

A cat not eating worries me a great deal. Anytime one of mine would not eat he or she was ill.

Good Luck
Jennifer
Mom to 7 wonderful feline companions.

sugarcatmom
March 14th, 2008, 02:10 PM
should I be concerned? thanks

YES!!!!!

Please take your cat to a vet TODAY! Not eating for even 2 days can result in Hepatic Lipidosis (aka fatty liver) and can only be resolved with medical intervention.

ETA - wait, are you saying she's eating canned food at least? Phew! You still need to get her to the vet. Like others have said, she could have something going on in her mouth. In the future, never let a cat go more than 48 hrs without food.