Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Livid!!!

want4rain
March 14th, 2008, 11:32 AM
yesterday morning Chris came back from taking Cailyn to school instead of heaidng to work himself to tell me there was a dying raccoon on the side of the road around the corner from us. i called Animal Control and asked them if tey could euthanize and remove him from the side of the road. the poor thing obviously took a big hit by a car, was sitting within a 100feet from a daycare... we figured we did out good citizen thing for the week right?? today TODAY i drive by and the poor thing is STILL ALIVE AND MOVING!! OUT SIDE OF A DAY CARE!!!

over 30 hours later, it had managed to move himself less than a foot off the road.

im not sure what the deal with out AC is but ive personally had several complaints from the insanity of our neighbors dog barking to 3 stray dogs come through the area of which they have done NOTHING about. no follow up calls, they refused to pick up the dogs and now this. needless to say i called our local paper. i also plan on hitting our tiny local bar on Tuesday to talk to the mayor... that is, unquestionably, a health hazard to this rather large daycare, if you just want to look at the 'human' part of it and take away all of the compassion towards this poor animal, struck by a car and then left to SLOWLY!!!! die on the side of the road.

:candle: rest in peace my poor lovely, im so sorry i didnt do more.

-ashley

Frenchy
March 14th, 2008, 11:34 AM
But what finally happened ? Is the racoon dead now ?

Love4himies
March 14th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Does your husband have someway he can swiftly kill the poor thing to put it out of pain (if it is still alive of course). Poor raccoon :sad:

want4rain
March 14th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Frenchy, i dont know. i called right after i laid Jeffrey down for his nap. i am ever so impatiently waiting for him to wake up... in 2 hours. i *will* be out there to check, and have my camera ready to get a nice pretty shot of the poor thing kicking away with the daycare as a back drop. see if i cant slow down my shutter speed to get some blurry movement?? im not sure.

L4H, i have absolutely NO way i could euthanize myself. i did some google searches to see of there was SOMETHING i could do without putting myself in danger. there is a CO2 chamber for smaller animals but i doubt i could get enough baking soda and vinegar to do such a large animal. we have no gun, i dont know anyone home with a gun... :sad: i thought about a kitchen knife but that would put me, and thus my kid at risk. :sad:

i really really yelled at that woman on the phone. :mad: maybe i should call and apologize. sometimes, i really hate people.

-ashley

Kristin7
March 14th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Poor thing! Are there any wild animal rescue places around? Maybe it is not too late for the racoon. It's trying to survive and maybe isn't dead yet?

want4rain
March 14th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Frenchy, i dont know. i called right after i laid Jeffrey down for his nap. i am ever so impatiently waiting for him to wake up... in 2 hours. i *will* be out there to check, and have my camera ready to get a nice pretty shot of the poor thing kicking away with the daycare as a back drop. see if i cant slow down my shutter speed to get some blurry movement?? im not sure.

boy i sure can be ugly sometimes. my close friends know if it takes ugly to get folks to do the right thing, i can be really really ugly. im sure the paper would appreciate the picture...

-ashley

Love4himies
March 14th, 2008, 12:05 PM
what about the police coming out to shoot it? This is obviously a danger to the children.

CyberKitten
March 14th, 2008, 12:20 PM
I'd keep calling until someone did it - just keep at it. The police SHOULD be able to do it - what about Natural Resources dept. That would be my 1st choice. They do it around here - and quickly too. They tend to have offices in the city.

Good luck!! Poor raccoon!

want4rain
March 14th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Poor thing! Are there any wild animal rescue places around? Maybe it is not too late for the racoon. It's trying to survive and maybe isn't dead yet?

if it had a snowballs chance..... for whatever reason, he is paralyzed and unable to move. if he isnt picked up by the time Jeffrey is finished with his nap, we are packing a lunch and camping outside of the poor thing until someone shows up... whether it be the police to ask me to move my car or what.

i called the local paper, i called the daycare (of which is *really* upset about this) and i called my vet and i called the wild animal rescue (they cant do anything because its a raccoon).

-ashley

bendyfoot
March 14th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Is it full grown or little? I had to corall a young injured coon two summers ago. I found it on the road, hind end injuries and stunned. I keep blankets in my car, so I tossed one over him, bundled him up snug, popped him in my car and drove him 60 km to an SPCA for euth.
Now, I've handled wild animals a bit in the past, and have rabies shots, so that wasn't a concern for me, but if it's just a little guy, or if he's that immobile, maybe with some help you could bundle him up and bring him to the SPCA or a vet to be put out of his misery?

That's terrible, and so, so sad.

want4rain
March 14th, 2008, 12:45 PM
if Jeffrey was with someone else... i woudlnt have hesitated but as is, i had my kid with me.

the daycare director drive by a few minutes ago and said she couldnt see him anywhere. i will drive by after Jeffrey gets up and make sure. hopefully the paper will call me back. the director is *quite* upset over this.

-ashley

want4rain
March 14th, 2008, 01:29 PM
i just wanted to say thanks for those of you who were on and able to talk to me abotu this. i have been a basket case and being able to talk to you guys kept my head level. Jeffrey is up but REALLY hungry... he should be done eating in a few minutes so ill head out then and check. got my list of numbers written down and ready for a camping trip i hope not to make.

-ashley

CearaQC
March 14th, 2008, 01:42 PM
The mayor hangs out in a bar? :laughing:

Poor critter.. :sad:

No hunter types live nearby that would have the testicular fortitude to end the suffering?

Jim Hall
March 14th, 2008, 01:52 PM
wild animal rescue (they cant do anything because its a raccoon). huh?
they dicriminate?

cool the mayor keeps bar hours i forget sometimes about small town life

there is alway the sledgehammer to the head methed i was actually forced to do that to a poor cat that the cops were actully watching die after being hit by a car they has the spotlite on him and having dunkin donuts

i got areested spent the night in the small town jail and when my lawyer came by a fellow animal lover he was so mad at them he didnt say a word
lol
the judge dimiissed it btw and said you did the right thing thank buddah for animal lovers

rainbow
March 14th, 2008, 02:04 PM
The mayor hangs out in a bar? :laughing:

It sounds like it's just on Tuesdays.....

i also plan on hitting our tiny local bar on Tuesday to talk to the mayor.

Maybe that's cheap beer day. :laughing:

Seriously, though, I hope someone will put the poor racoon out of it's misery. :fingerscr

want4rain
March 14th, 2008, 02:04 PM
*chuckles* yeah actually the mayor and i have had many-a-chats about town business sitting down at the bar. its his 'night out' on tuesdays so he goes down town and has a glass of wine at the peanut bar. not your typical slimy politician. i think this is his way of combining business with pleasure. the peanut bar is the place to hear complaints from what i understand.

i just drove down there and he has been picked up. hopefully who ever got him handled him with some sort of decency.

Chris called me back finally and clarified somethign for me... it wasnt yesterday when we initially called... yesterday the kids had a dentist appointment. i forgot i didnt drive that way at all. it was WEDNESDAY we called.

the director at the daycare had a dangerous tone to her voice today. i expect that running a daycare around here for over 40 years gives her some good connections considering she probably toddled half the people in office. i hope she can get somethign done about this issue.

-ashley

rainbow
March 14th, 2008, 02:13 PM
HA HA...nothing like complaining to the mayor after you've had a couple. :crazy:

Glad to hear the raccoon was finally removed.

chico2
March 14th, 2008, 04:21 PM
OMG.that poor raccoon,I would have been vivid,what the heck is your Animal Control for??
A Raccoon is an animal,suffers just as much as any cat or dog,that's just horrible:evil:
Here our Humane Society will come out in a flash for all animals,wild or domestic,thank dog for that!!
:rip:sweet little bandit.:candle:

ancientgirl
March 14th, 2008, 08:08 PM
It's inconceivable to me that they would just let that poor animal die such a slow and painful death. My god, what were they so busy doing? :sad:

want4rain
March 15th, 2008, 08:45 AM
this whole situation has bothered me on so many different levels. we should have gone back and checked, THURSDAY a friend who wouldnt have hesitated to flex his manly hunting skills to give this little fuzzy bandit a quiet and humane end was available but not on Friday. i should have followed up with AC, i should have written that guys name down or even tried to commit it to memory but i didnt.

its been so warm recently. almost 24C some days. to think of that poor baby being out there for 2 days, unable to move... :( after it was all said and done, i talked to Chris and he pointed out it wasnt Thursday that he found him, Thursday was the kids dentist appointment and we took a totally different way out there. it was Wednesday he found the poor baby.

all i can imagine is he was brain damaged. when i drive by yesterday, he looked fairly intact but for a nasty scrape on his head. he was unable to move quickly, just made little swimming motions with his paws of which were pointed up.

a few things we learned from this situation-

always check when you hit an animal. we always have (even if it looked pretty dead to begin with) but this only reinforced that.

keep a euthanization chamber handy. if anyone is interested in it, let me know. im not sure how Marko would feel about posting that kind of information. we will put ours together with typically found house hold items that can still be used when not needed.

always call AC back. while i hear of so many other folks having food AC's in their area.... ours is garbage. hopefully i can do something about it.

hopefully this fuzzy one will forgive me for not doing more when it really counted and will wait for me on the other side of the bridge. i would feel honored.

:candle: rest in peace dear one. im sorry i didnt do more.

-ashley

chico2
March 15th, 2008, 09:57 AM
W4R,please don't think of"what if's",that poor little raccoon is hopefully now relieved of any pain.
I know the guilt you can feel,thinking you did not do enough,but in your circumstances you did what you could,calling for help..
It's unfortunate you have an AC who does not care,an animal is an animal.
We once had a rabid(we think he was) Raccoon going around in circles,falling over and acting crazily outside my workplace.
The police were called and came within minutes to end his misery.
I feel very fortunate I have a HS,who cares about ALL animals,you don't,so please don't feel guilty about this little guy.
We know how you love animals.
Also,the person who hit him,is the one who did not give a "censored"!!