Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fat Belly or Fluid?

jowilson002
March 14th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Hello everyone,

I lost a cat to FIP on August 4, 2007 and another Sept. 28, 2007. I have 4 of these cats litter mates still in my home in addition to 3 other cats (total of 7).

Three of the litter mates are either very fat or have fluid in their abdomen.

How can you tell the difference?

All of the cats eat well. They do sleep a lot but they also play too. They like to sit in their window seats. None are running a fever and all have been spayed or neutered.

Thanks, Jennifer

allymack
March 14th, 2008, 01:25 PM
I think its just a fat tummy, they wouldnt be eating much if at all if they had fluid in their stomachs, as its it painful for them, if the cat is losing weight but the stomach is still getting bigger, you need to see a vet asap. Another thing it could be is roundworms, as that will make your cats stomach swell up.

jowilson002
March 14th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Hey,

How do they get round worms? They were all given worm meds at the vet when I took them in and they don't go outside.

My cat "Simon" who passed away August 4, 2007 had a huge abdominal fluid problem and had to be drained frequently.

My son says that I am just paranoid but I have had cats on chemotherapy and don't want to let any others get that ill if I can catch something early.

Can anyone tell me how much an adult cat should actually sleep in a day?

Thanks,
Jennifer

allymack
March 14th, 2008, 01:39 PM
its most likely not roundworm then, if they dont go outside, and dont hunt rodents, then it shouldnt be a problem, they are born with them, but if your vet medicated them then it again shouldnt be a problem. My adult cat sleep varying amounts during the days, i think i read some where that something like 15-18 hours is normal? but i guess it varies depending on how much activity there is in your house and a few other factors.

jowilson002
March 14th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Hello again,

My son is in collge and is in and out of the house all day long. He said that they sleep most of the day but when I get home they are usually awake until I go to be around 10 and then they go back to bed also.

Thanks for your info...I'm still worried about their fat stomachs though.

Jennifer W.

allymack
March 14th, 2008, 02:48 PM
is it possible to get your cats to a vet today, or tomorrow, its a good idea to get them checked out by your vet, just to see if they know whats really going on.

jowilson002
March 14th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Thanks, I believe I will take them to the vet.

Jennifer W.

allymack
March 14th, 2008, 08:54 PM
great. :) let us know how it turns out.