Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog on the Loose in Pierrefonds (QC) West

diandpat
March 14th, 2008, 11:14 AM
There is a beautiful medium sized black dog with what can only be described as gold flecks running up and down Pierrefonds blvd between St Charles and Ch. Pierrefonds since at least 9:30a.m. today.

I have tried to catch it (can't get close enough to ascertain sex) but it is very skittish and runs away. Some city workers saw my unsuccessful efforts and have called AC. If you know of anyone who may have lost this dog please pass on the info.

I am going to go out now and try again.

I'll keep you posted :pray:

Frenchy
March 14th, 2008, 11:22 AM
omg I hope he doesn't get hit by a car ! :sad:

Good luck diandpat ! :goodvibes:

CearaQC
March 14th, 2008, 01:37 PM
A dog might approach a person if he/she is sitting still and isn't posing as a threat. Maybe take a chair and some snacks along and go MMMMMmmmmmMmmm when pretending to eat the food and offer to the dog if and when it gets close.

Chasing/walking after it may not work.

Good luck!!

rainbow
March 14th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Good luck and I hope this has a happy ending. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

diandpat
March 14th, 2008, 02:03 PM
OK, so after much patience and soft talk and indifference I finally managed to snare HIM. He is probably between 9-12 months, in tact, very sweet yet dominant at the same time wearing TWO collars and NO TAGS!!!!! :mad:

Public security watched while I tried to gain his trust and called AC which apparently is in Vaudreuil and did not seem in any hurry to come and get him. I decided to leave my name and address and took him to the Vet to see if he was chipped. Unfortunately they do not have their machine right now.:frustrated:

No one there recognized him but I left my name and number in case they get a call.

I can't keep him here this weekend as it is St Paddy's Day and we own an Irish Pub so a little bit busy right now :thumbs up Also, if I ask to keep him my next thread will be to discuss my divorce :D

So I have attached pictures and am waiting for Animal Control to come get him. They will hold him for four days only. Needless to say I am telling them to call me before he has to be euthanized and will figure it out from there...how difficult could it be to be single after 16 years!!!!

It makes me sick to know there are so many people looking for their lost dogs on this site and no one seems to be looking for him. I don't think he has been gone long as his coat is in great shape and numerous efforts to give him food have been snubbed!

Hope this has a happy ending. I'll keep you all posted.:fingerscr

SARAH
March 14th, 2008, 02:08 PM
WOW, he's beautiful! What an lovely coloring and coat, and I love the upright ears! Someone has to miss him, for sure!

Maybe he got away from a maid or something and the owners don't know yet? Or the kids left the house after the parents and the dog snuck out and ran when they opened the door (and the parents still don't know yet)?

Hope he finds his home soon!

rainbow
March 14th, 2008, 02:17 PM
He is gorgeous :lovestruck: and I'm sure glad you caught him. :thumbs up I'm also hoping the owners are looking for him but he should have been wearing tags. :sad: Good luck. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

chico2
March 14th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Wow,a brindle longhaired pup,he is beautiful,thank you for beeing an :angel2:catching him
Hopefully someone is missing him:fingerscr
Please keep us updated!

diandpat
March 14th, 2008, 06:08 PM
So by 4 p.m. no one had called or shown up to get the dog so I started calling around to attempt to find out who in blue blazes DOES do animal control for Pierrefonds...what an exercise in futility that was :mad:

I called the Public Security for the borough of Pierrefonds who gave me the number for Berger Blanc who gave me the number for SPCA Montreal which is of course an answering machine. OMG!!! By 5 it was time for us to go out and leaving this dog in our house with the other two was just not an option. He is very dominant and has poor manners. So, we decided to take him to the SPCA ourselves (which is a fun drive during Friday afternoon rush hour:offtopic:) We get there and the guys proceeds to inform us that they are not our AC and they will have to charge us a $35 drop off fee. No bloody way Barnotti!!!!!! So he finally gives us the number for the AC in our town which is in Vaudreuil.

I called that number and the lady starts giving me grief because apparently someone did go pick up the dog in front of the house where I found him but no one was there!!! I said I had waited 1/2 hr and decided to go wait at home and gave Montreal Public Security my phone numbers. They never heard from Public Security and it is not PS job to call AC!!! WTF??????
They are on their way not but it won't be before 8:30 p.m. at the earliest.

I can see why people don't get involved, honestly. I have had PS watch and not help me catch him, SPCA charging ME to do their job and AC giving me grief and I had never even talked to them. Who needs this???? And, goes without saying, I am missing our business party tonight because the dogs can't be left alone :frustrated:

Anyways, I don't hold any of this against this poor beast and will still have them call if no one picks him up. I don't know how anyone will know to call there as I was looking all day and could not get the number. What if these people are looking for this dog and keep getting the same runaround. Makes me crazy!!!!

BTW the number for animal control in Pierrefonds is 450-510-1508. Is there a sticky anywhere to post these numbers?

I'll let you know if I hear anything!

rainbow
March 14th, 2008, 06:34 PM
WOW....what a runaround you got. :grouphug: And, like you said, what if the owners are getting the same treatment. :eek: :wall:

Good luck and hope nothing more goes wrong. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

poodletalk
March 14th, 2008, 07:34 PM
You can put a free "found" ad in the gazette with your phone number.

Frenchy
March 14th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I can see why people don't get involved, honestly.

I found a dog last summer and brought him home. Was extremely hard to get in touch with the animal control. It took a few hours , I wouldn't have mind but the dog was young and very hyper , I had to separate him from my dogs because they just couldn't take it !

It's too bad we don't have better services. And it's too bad people don't put tags on their dogs :wall:

the gang
March 14th, 2008, 09:35 PM
i saw this little one pic on face book, all i know is im in hudson and animal control is on harwood less than 10 min from me, they have always been real good from what i have been told !they are kept for 5 days than if in good health they go off to spca jean talon, just a thought call the police and report the dog and pierrefonds vet, i found a golden lab this fall and did that hope this helps a bit, good luck brenda and the pins :thumbs up

rainbow
March 14th, 2008, 09:48 PM
diandpat, any updates......did they come to pick up the dog or do you still have him?

the gang
March 14th, 2008, 10:12 PM
im sitting on pins and needles how did it go????

diandpat
March 15th, 2008, 07:19 AM
So the AC man came to pick up this guy around 7:30-8 p.m. That poor dog is so confused it just breaks my heart.

Whenever I have found a dog (and it happens a lot!!!) I usually keep them here with me but this young one was so hyper and dominant. He kept mounting my 13.5 yr old golden and my little male hated him sight unseen so they could not be trusted alone in the house and we are very busy this weekend.

I will call there on Tuesday and see what happened. I will also post some posters around here in case someone was at work all day yesterday and only started looking last night. The vet already has my name and number. So does public security (I think!!!)

I just don't understand WHY you wouldn't put a $10 name tag on your pet just in case. Now this poor guy has been stressed right out of his mind for nothing. This all could have been taken care of by dinner yesterday if I had only had his phone number :sad:

Hopefully this will all end well for him. I'll keep you posted.

Love4himies
March 15th, 2008, 07:37 AM
He is beautiful, I have never seen a dog with long fur coloured like that. very unique.

I hope this turns out to be a happy ending. Maybe the people who lost him are having the run around trying to get in touch with AC like you did.

chico2
March 15th, 2008, 07:46 AM
diandpat,OMG the SPCA wanted you to pay for saving a dogs life:confused:
The fact this poor pup is not neutered,does not speak very highly of the owners,but I hope they are looking for him and want him back.:fingerscr

diandpat
March 15th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Maybe the people who lost him are having the run around trying to get in touch with AC like you did.

This is my fear. It is a royal run around out there and now, for Heaven's sake, it is snowing again!!!! Makes it a little difficult to get in the car and start driving all over Hell's half acre!!!

chico2: The fact this poor pup is not neutered,does not speak very highly of the owners,but I hope they are looking for him and want him back.

I have no judgement on the neutering right now as the vet thinks he is still puppyish (9-12 mths) and some people do wait for a year. I am totally pissed about the TWO COLLARS and NO NAME TAGS.

Love4himies
March 15th, 2008, 07:59 AM
I have no judgement on the neutering right now as the vet thinks he is still puppyish (9-12 mths) and some people do wait for a year. I am totally pissed about the TWO COLLARS and NO NAME TAGS.

Two collars sounds like he has escaped before!

chico2
March 15th, 2008, 08:14 AM
diandpat,sorry for beeing judgemental,I did not think the dog was a puppy,he looks adult in the picture,a very pretty adult.:dog:

diandpat
March 15th, 2008, 08:32 AM
OMG Chico2 I was definitely NOT accusing you of anything. It was my first thought too until the vet opined that he was still a puppy. I was just clearing things up and it probably came out wrong...sorry!

I can't come to terms the the lack of name tags :wall:

breeze
March 15th, 2008, 10:21 AM
can I put my :2cents:in?? could it be possible that the tags got caught on something and they ripped off??

I know when my huskey got lose when she was a pup and when she went under the fence the tags got caught and pulled off.. :eek::sad:

Frenchy
March 15th, 2008, 12:02 PM
So the AC man came to pick up this guy around 7:30-8 p.m. That poor dog is so confused it just breaks my heart.

:grouphug: thanks to you he wasn't hit by a car or picked up by not so kind people ....

rainbow
March 15th, 2008, 12:20 PM
i saw this little one pic on face book, all i know is im in hudson and animal control is on harwood less than 10 min from me, they have always been real good from what i have been told !they are kept for 5 days than if in good health they go off to spca jean talon, just a thought call the police and report the dog and pierrefonds vet, i found a golden lab this fall and did that hope this helps a bit, good luck brenda and the pins :thumbs up

Brenda, are you saying that you seen this dog's pic on facebook? :confused:

diandpat
March 15th, 2008, 01:59 PM
I am so happy she did see his face on Facebook. I am the one who put it there! I have a contact who does a lot of work for rescues on Facebook and she helped me out.

Just got in from St Paddy's day breakfast and no messages from anywhere of anyone looking for my littled Houdini :sad:

Just trying to get the word out anywhere. Permission to cross post anywhere anyone sees fit!

diandpat
March 16th, 2008, 08:39 PM
We called the shelter at 7 tonight to see if anyone had picked him up yet and sadly he is still there :sad:

I know the man said they would keep him until Tuesday so I will try again on Tuesday so he does not have to go to Jean Talon. Trouble is I am not really in much of a position to do anything as he really is quite hyper and agitates my very calm dogs. I am praying to St Jude right now so I will not have to decide anything.

Hopefully someone will step up and claim him. I remember thinking the same thing about our Hobo and that was almost five years ago. Can't believe no one is looking for such a beautiful animal. Makes me very very sad.

I'll keep you posted if I hear anything.

chico2
March 17th, 2008, 06:47 AM
I thought Jean Talon was better than a shelter,but I must have gotten that named mixed up with someone else:confused:

diandpat
March 18th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I just spoke to the lady at Canin du Suroit and the dog was picked up by his owners last night!!!!! YAHOOZIE!!!!

She can't tell me anything more than that but at least he is home safely.

(I'm happy/sad as I/we had "agreed" to adopt him before he would have to go to Jean Talon SPCA!!!!)
:thumbs up:thumbs up:thumbs up

rainbow
March 18th, 2008, 02:24 PM
WOO HOO ....I love happy endings. :highfive:

And, :thankyou: for everything you did. :angel:

chico2
March 18th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Great news,thank's diandpat:thumbs up

shirley1011
March 18th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Alrighty...Great News...I am so glad the owners have this poor dog back.
Come on home Spencer, Billie and Sable

Frenchy
March 18th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I'm hoping his owners will be more careful next time (although we don't know how this happened but ...) thanks diandpat for this , you pretty well may have save this dog's life ! :thumbs up :angel: