Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help with aggression

NalaTheStubborn
March 13th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Hi, We adopted Nala 15 months ago from the SPCA. She is two years old and normally a lot of fun - except for her constant clawing of furniture and carpets! We have about 3 different scratching mats, posts, etc for a total of 6 varied legal scratching opportunities for her. Of course, she prefers the furniture. After much internet research, I purchased Sticky Paws this week and she has left the furniture alone. She did attempt to go after a non-Sticky Pawed section last night, and my teen aged daughter gently tried to remove Nala from clawing the sofa. Nala attacked very aggressively and immediately went back to the sofa, daughter back to Nala, then more violent attack. We ended up putting Nala outside for a time out.

Nala has always hid around corners or under chairs to attack our feet, but it was always in fun with her claws fully sheathed.

This morning, Nala tried to claw another part of a sofa, and viciously attacked my 12 year old son, who now has long scratches down his chest.

What do we do? Obviously, she is angry we have Sticky Pawed her favourite scratching areas, but she has never been vicious with any of us - just very stubborn. In the past, we have tried spraying her with water, spraying garlic scent on carpets/furniture, loud noises, time outs, etc but she is very stubborn. The Sticky Paws is the only thing that has stopped her, now she's mad. What next?

BusterKitty
March 13th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Have you tried catnip on the scratching posts? That might work unless she's part of the 50-75% of cats who don't react to catnip.

luckypenny
March 13th, 2008, 02:36 PM
If her aggression is a new behavior, I don't think Sticky-Pawing your furniture is the cause. She may be ill and experiencing pain. I'd recommend a vet visit asap to rule out anything medical.

NalaTheStubborn
March 13th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Hi,
Wow that was fast! Thank you! She loves catnip and the scratching posts are all covered in catnip but she still won't use the legal scratching areas. She was just at the vet, and she was told to lose a bit of weight (we indulge her too much). I cut back her kibble by a teaspoon a day, so maybe with the sticky paws and the reduced kibble, she is angry at us. She is very spoiled and choose which one of us she sleeps with at night. Perhaps we created a monster? She was abused in her former home and spent three months in a cage at the adoption centre (she's black and not everyone will adopt a black cat). It's only been two attacks, but she's never done that before.

luckypenny
March 13th, 2008, 02:49 PM
What did the vet do to Nala during the visit?

Oh, btw, welcome to pets.ca. I forgot my manners :o , I just noticed it was your first post.

NalaTheStubborn
March 13th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Thank you for the welcome. The vet just looked at her teeth and weighed her (her shots were up to date). Nala was at the top end of her weight band and recommended we reduce her kibble by one teaspoon a day. Other than that, Nala is in very good health and normally happy - mischievious and stubborn but a pretty great cat.

luckypenny
March 13th, 2008, 03:14 PM
I think a blood test would be appropriate at this point. I just don't think that this sudden aggressive behavior is due to 1 tsp less of food and not being allowed to scratch the couch :shrug: . Has she gained weight recently or has she always been on the chubby side? Is she drinking normally? Peeing normally?

Magicwildwolf69
March 13th, 2008, 03:51 PM
I'm surprised your vet didn't recommend a blood work when you took her. Or haven't you taken her since your daughter got attacked. I just recently took my cat eclipse to the vet after he attacked me rather violently (hospital visit due to a lot of major bite wounds) and they did a physical exam and blood work. Everything was normal and took a bit to restabslitious (sp) who is boss. You say spraying water at her doesn't help maybe try shaking a can of pennies or something that makes noise just to scare her. Thats why my vet suggested to try to get a cat to back off of something you don't want them doing.