Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat rescues in Ottawa/Cornwall area?

bendyfoot
March 13th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Anyone know any? I've managed to find a few, none of which could help. OHS can't help. At my wit's end. Down to the wire here with no solutions in sight.

luckypenny
March 13th, 2008, 03:00 PM
What exactly do you need help with bendyfoot?

bendyfoot
March 13th, 2008, 03:29 PM
I'm looking for someone (anyone) who would be willing to take our cat Riley. Unfortunately, she has a history of anxiety, aggression towards dogs and other cats, and has bitten humans (including my partner and I). I truly beleive she would be much more stable, happier, and make a wonderful pet in a quieter adult-only home with maybe one other male cat at most. She's a huge love/cuddle bug most of the time but a) she's terrorizing our other female cat b) is constantly stressed out by the other animals, sudden movments/noises etc., and always edgy despite medication and c) we can't have her near any children due to her unpredictability, and we are trying to have a baby. We've been trying to rehome her for months. No one we know will take her, no rescues I've contacted will take her, the HS has said they can only put her in the general population for assessment (which will basically be 48 hours of crazy stress for her followed by euthanazia), we've had only one reply to our classified ads after hundreds of views, and that person backed out after she "remembered" her boyfriend has asthma. We are down to zero good options right now, and I'm grasping at straws.

luckypenny
March 13th, 2008, 04:24 PM
:sad: It must be so difficult for you. I know you're always on top of things but, by any chance, did your vet suggest trying any other medications?

bendyfoot
March 13th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Several. Tried 'em all. And Feliway, and behavioural consults, and re-introduction, and isolation and desentization and.... you get the idea. It sucks. I think I'm just postponing the inevitable, really :sad: A really horrible part of me wishes she were just really, terribly, PHYSICALLY ill, and not mentally ill, so I didn't have to look at a cute, seemingly healthy kitty all the time and feel my heart drop to my feet thinking about her future. At least if she were really sick, I would feel like I was doing something humane and loving.
ETA: My heart of hearts knows she's not adoptable. Just last week, for no reason, she came ripping out of nowhere hissing and poofed up and attacked my partner's (thankfully covered in jeans) leg. I had to pull her off. No provocation, no other animals around. Sigh.

luckypenny
March 13th, 2008, 04:44 PM
My heart of hearts knows she's not adoptable.

I was thinking that's why no one is able come to your aid but thought it rude to say so :o . I know it doesn't help but, I was in your position once. Just because no one can see an unmanageable psychological issue, doesn't mean your kitty isn't ill and suffering. It's safe to assume you've done everything humanly possible to help her. I pray a miracle answer comes your way soon. And if not, that you find the strength to do what you feel is right for her. :grouphug:

bendyfoot
March 13th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Thanks, LP.

Maybe I should just cancel this thread. I think I'm just setting myself up for more disappointment. Gad, this is so hard. :sad: Thanks for being so understanding.

luckypenny
March 13th, 2008, 05:17 PM
No, I think you should leave it be. If anything, your experience, however unfortunate, can hold meaning to others who come to this site to seek comfort. A person dearly respected who tried to help us, although unsuccessfully, said, "Your pet's destiny is as great as your own. They don't leave us without leaving something valuable behind."

chico2
March 13th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Bendyfoot,I am so sorry to read this:sad:
I do not believe putting her in a shelter is the answer,with the hundreds of healthy cats in shelters,I doubt an aggressive cat would stand a chance of beeing adopted and she would eventually be euthanized,unless an :angel2:came by and rescued her.
My Rocky has attacked me to the point where I needed hospital-care on 4 occasions,but I knew the reason why and now take precautions.
I am assuming there is nothing medically wrong with her..
I am sure this is tearing you apart:sad:,could she possibly be isolated in another room? It would still be better than a shelter or the ultimate procedure..sorry I could not help:sad:

luckypenny
March 13th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Many mental illnesses have an underlying neurochemical basis for them. Some classes are more easily treated than others. And some can't be treated to a full, nor even a partial, recovery. I think you and your vet are in the best position to make that call, bendyfoot. I wish I had an easy answer for you but am only able to offer support. I'm truly sorry you're in this position.

sugarcatmom
March 13th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Oh bendyfoot, I know how you've struggled with this and I really feel for you. It sounds like it would be ideal if you could find Riley a quiet home without other animals. If I lived closer and didn't have an anti-social cat myself, I'd take her.

I have one *very* long-shot idea: what does Riley eat? This may sound absurd, but some cats, when fed only dry food, become pretty cantankerous. Because kibble isn't species-appropriate for felines, it may result in a cat feeling chronically lousy (even if there are no actual medical issues), which manifests as aggression. I've heard of cases where a grouchy dry-food kitty did a complete 180 when switched to a wet diet (usually raw). I realize there is probably a lot more going on with Riley than just a food issue (and for all I know, she isn't eating dry anyway), but thought I'd throw that out there. Grasping at straws, I suppose.