Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Skittish Roxy

ozzi
March 13th, 2008, 04:34 AM
Hi My name is Ozzi, I have a gorgeous Shepard/Lab named Roxy.

I have a problem with her, she is very skittish, it is getting better but I needed some advice/suggestions.

She is a very skittish dog, loves other animals and females but for some reason she doesnt go well with most males, Including me at times. Several times during the day I would call her for whatever reason and she wouldnt come, she just sits on a corner and stares at me with fear although moving her tail, I keep calling her but she woulnt come even if I have a treat, some times she does come but 70% of the time she just wont, specially when I grab the leash to go out, she has never gotten excited about going out unless I just open the door and say lets go. But like previous dogs I have experienced with where I would just say, you wanna go out, they would get crazy exited. She actually hides. Once on the street she is fine, a bit afraid of loud noises or random people, mostly males.

Several time, specially at night (bed time) I would approach her or call her calmly to go to bed and she would just go to her corner and if I approach she would just pee. That is getting better (I used to get on her because of it, but now I ignore her like she is being good, so that has diminished)

Anyway, the reason why I got this mix breed is because I wanted a big nice dog that would convey confidence and protection. Well, with that attitude it is really no convey either one.

Any suggestion in helping her gain confidence.

Ps. I walk her quite a lot, play fight, try to get her to fetch, sprint with her, I have taught her sit, stay, we are working on down and roll over, and give her lots of love. I just want an obedient dog that listens to her master when he calls her.

Ozzi

allymack
March 13th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Start spending some quiet time in a room with her, pick a room in your hosue that doesnt have alot of furniture, or that has furniture that she cant hide/under. bring her in to the room and close the door. sit down against the wall and read or do a crossword, anything that doesnt make to much noise. and for maybe half an hour just sit there, try and do the twice a day if you can. Afetr a while she will start hanging aorund clsoer to you, because she is seeing she can be near you with out anything bad happening to her and this will start to build trust. If she comes right up to you, dont reach out to touch her, because tat might scare her off, just let her sniff you or do what ever she wants after 1 and a half - 2 weeks, try eitehr moving to a smaller room, or if you going to stay in the same room, start talking to her softly, but dont make eye contact, because some skittish dogs find that intimidating. it will take a lot of time and patience, for her to build up trust around you and stop being skittish around you. When your walking her making sure your giving off a calm relaxed energy, so she isnt feeling tense. hope this helps, if you have any questions you can pm me :)

ozzi
March 14th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Start spending some quiet time in a room with her, pick a room in your hosue that doesnt have alot of furniture, or that has furniture that she cant hide/under. bring her in to the room and close the door. sit down against the wall and read or do a crossword, anything that doesnt make to much noise. and for maybe half an hour just sit there, try and do the twice a day if you can. Afetr a while she will start hanging aorund clsoer to you, because she is seeing she can be near you with out anything bad happening to her and this will start to build trust. If she comes right up to you, dont reach out to touch her, because tat might scare her off, just let her sniff you or do what ever she wants after 1 and a half - 2 weeks, try eitehr moving to a smaller room, or if you going to stay in the same room, start talking to her softly, but dont make eye contact, because some skittish dogs find that intimidating. it will take a lot of time and patience, for her to build up trust around you and stop being skittish around you. When your walking her making sure your giving off a calm relaxed energy, so she isnt feeling tense. hope this helps, if you have any questions you can pm me :)

I was trying to PM you but didnt find the option, your advice is very whise, but the thing is we do hang out, but kinda whenever she is in a happy mood. She might be hanging out with me, then I might get up, do something, go to the bathroom, anything, then when I come back she might be in another complete different mood where she just wont come to me or stays in a corner.

If I call her, even for food or to go for a walk she stays in her corner not giving me eye contact and when I go get her she pees. The advice you gave already kinda happens by itself when I am in the computer room, I just get online and she hangs out somewhere, she might come to me or sometimes she doesnt, she just sits there and if I go to the other room shell come and go to another corner. I tent to ignore her some times to see her reaction and she eventually comes, we do a lot of commands work and she gets really good when we are. I just poored food on her bolw and called her she just went to her corner and hide (by hide I mean she get under this tine chair that I can easily pick up)

I sometimes really think she has mental issues :D

Winston
March 14th, 2008, 06:13 PM
Ozzi welcome! sounds like you have a beautiful dog who just needs some more love and assurances...Do you have some history on her? was she possibly abused as a pup? anyway you have her now and she will learn to trust you. just takes some time..sometimes a bit more with some...It sounds like submissive peeing. If you google that there is quite a bit of info on it. The other thing is dogs tend to respond to the voice and perhaps your tone affects her...just a couple of thoughts anyway. Would love to see some pics of your girl! and there is alot of info you can look up here. I am sure there will be more folks along shortly!

Cindy

the gang
March 14th, 2008, 09:07 PM
i know how you feel , i addopted a dog almost 3 yrs ago from teddys, her name is rosie she is a min pin x, she was just like that the peeing and did not listen was so scared i use to gently touch her head, she would roll over and pee all over herself, i would cry she was about 6-8 months old when i got her, i worked with her day and night she is much better but its not to crazy of men she does not like with baseball hats, its time and lots of praise, let her come to you , how long have you had your little one? sometimes rose does not come for her meals if daddys not home , i say its ok and feed her in her crate so the other monkeys dont bother her, just take it slow, she must have not come from a good home, good luck :thumbs up brenda and the pins.

ozzi
March 15th, 2008, 03:00 AM
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c29/ozzi_21/0312081205.jpg

I took this pic a few days ago.
I ve had her for almost 2 months.

I have no story of her past, but I did think about the fact she might have had bad experiences.

She is doing a lot better, but the funny thing is she gets more scared and pee a lot when I want to take her out, like I go get the leash and she hides and pees when I go get her, a lot. I am pretty sure it is submissive peeing, but it is just frustrating, I feel I can bond with her. I gotta admit things have gotten a lot better though. I remember the first few times I used to take her to the park I had to keep her on the leash because if not itd take me about 45 minutes until I can get her. I would have to wait for her to come to me, now she is free to run, I call her and she comes, today we played a lot and I had her stayed when I walked away about half baseball field, she is getting good with her commands but still kinda whenever she feels like. She is still very young so thats normal.

I just so want her to be confident and have her tail up when we are out, or be all playful ( I gotta be careful for what I ask, I know)

You guys have been very helpful.

About my tone, well I do get pretty gay (voice wise) when I talk to her.. kinda weird.. but gotta do what I gotta do huh? :clown:I do shout a bit when she is not listening (just boundaries stuff)

Ill look online for confidence building stuff, and maybe about the peeing. Keep posting if you have any other ideas.

Thanks guys

allymack
March 15th, 2008, 01:40 PM
She is doing a lot better, but the funny thing is she gets more scared and pee a lot when I want to take her out, like I go get the leash and she hides and pees when I go get her, a lot. I am pretty sure it is submissive peeing, but it is just frustrating, I feel I can bond with her. I gotta admit things have gotten a lot better though. I remember the first few times I used to take her to the park I had to keep her on the leash because if not itd take me about 45 minutes until I can get her. I would have to wait for her to come to me, now she is free to run, I call her and she comes, today we played a lot and I had her stayed when I walked away about half baseball field, she is getting good with her commands but still kinda whenever she feels like. She is still very young so thats normal.

maybe she has had a bad association with the leash, i had the same type of problem with one of my horses, he assoctiated bad expirences with the lead rope (he was rescued, i didnt make him afraid of the lead rope) i couldnt walk out in to the pasture with the lead rope in myhand or he would run off, i staretd leaving it out in plain view all of the time, right out side of his stall. when i groomed him i put it on him ( made sure it wwas tucked up so he wouldnt step/trip on it) and i just brushed hi like i normally did, i tried to incorporate the lead rope with anything and everything positive. I would hold it in my hand when i have him a treat i would clip it on and unclip it to his halter at random times, he was never 100% comfortable with it, but he accepted it. I thihnk Roxy might be having the same type of expirence, so try leaving it out around the house, or putting it on her collar and let her drag it around the house, try to make the leash seem like the best thing in the world to her. Try acting interested in the leash your self, dogs usually wants what someone else has. Also try doing umbilical with her, that will help her gain confidence in you that you are the leader, which puts a dogs mind at ease, knowing that someone has all the big responsibilities taken care of. hope this helps :)

It sounds like you are making good progress with her, it does take trust on her and your part to do a stay and walk and distance away, if she didnt have any trust in you she would have ran away and not stayed, because she wouldnt have trusted you enough to know that you would protect her if anythign were to happen to her. Keep working on her commands, if you are doing a come in a big open field, even if she isnt in a stay (which i reccomend doing some comes when they are distracted) put a long leash on her so you can give her a gentle tug towards you as a reminder that you want her to come to you, just dont reel her in like a fish. With time and patience she will come around, becasue you aer putting so much effort into her to make it work out.:thumbs up

Kristin7
March 15th, 2008, 07:51 PM
It does sound like she is afraid of something about the leash. My dog Guinness is similar to yours in that he was afraid of a lot of things when I first brought him home from the shelter, at the age of about 4.5 months. He was terrified of all people except me, the leash, lots of things we encountered on walks... I almost lost him one time when he became startled by a sprinkler and darted out into the street, pretty scary. He also was, and still is, so afraid to ride in the car that he gets sick. Luckily for very short rides he can make it, and once he settles down he just sleeps, usually. Eventually Guinness became less scared of most things, just through gentle treatment and socialization, and probably just growing up helped. He is however, still somewhat nervous around bigger men, still gets carsick and I have noticed the same fear of the leash that you mentioned. If someone he doesn't know puts one on him, he pees all over the floor. I figure, he must have had some pretty bad experiences before I got him, possibly with someone (a man) abusive, or the dog catcher who picked him up. If something traumatic happens during one of those fear periods puppies go through, the fears can stay with them for life.

So, my advice is to be gentle with your dog, perhaps consider not doing any play fighting or rough housing, or shouting, as that may be scaring her. Learn to read dog body language if you don't already know what a scared or nervous dog acts like. When I put the collar and leash around my dog's neck, I can't approach from above, or he'll shrink away. Crouching down to his level and coming in from the side or underneath his neck makes him feel a lot more comfortable. And, now my dog loves walks so usually gets pretty excited when he sees me pull out the leash - still, he doesn't like me standing over him when I hook the collar around his neck. Guinness loves me to chase him in the yard, but every once in awhile he gets scared, I haven't figured it all out. Guinness is still afraid of big men, even some whom he knows, but if he associates a person with good things, he is fine. If you have some male friends to enlist to help you socialize your dog with men, they can help out with this, but only if they understand the problem and how to help. Figure out what she really loves and work to have her associate this fun thing or activity with you, and other men. I bet if you continue treating her well, being gentle with her, she will eventually develop more confidence, just with maturity, too. Good luck! She is a great looking dog, btw.