Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How old before a male starts marking?

Chibi
March 12th, 2008, 11:14 PM
I had thought we were just having lots of accidents today, but I have taken the dog out and he goes pee, and then 10 minutes later he will find a spot to mark, just a TINY bit, like the size of a dime. I had thought I was maybe just interrupting him and he wouldn't finish, but he has done it a few times tonight where he just squats, dribbles a little, and is done.

Is he marking? He will be 11 weeks old on Friday. If so, what do I do to correct this besides telling him NO? No matter how fast I am or how attentive I am, I am not going to be able to catch him before he goes, it's too fast. He doesn't sniff in circles like when he actually has to pee for real, and his nose is regularly on the ground anyhow (he's a dachshund, afterall), so what should I do?

jessi76
March 13th, 2008, 07:49 AM
is this happening INSIDE the house? if so, this MUST stop immediately. Keep the dog in a confined area if you cannot watch him more closely, or keep him on leash. marking in the house is not good. BE SURE to clean these spots REALLY well with an appropriate cleaner to be sure the scent is gone. even if you can't smell it, the dog can, and will continue to mark in these spots.

my dog only "marked" outside, and not very often when he was that young.

Love4himies
March 13th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Could he may have a urinary tract infection? Perhaps a quick visit to the vet just to make sure his peeing isn't health related.

Harley's_Mom
March 13th, 2008, 08:15 AM
That seems kinda young to be marking. You should probably get him checked out by your vet and make sure he doesn't have a bladder infection or something. If he is starting to mark, I'd look into getting him neutered soon. Harley started marking when he was 8 months old. It was just outside at first and then at Christmas(he was almost a year old) he started marking inside the house. I got him neutered as soon as that started and we haven't had an issue since.

Rottielover
March 13th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Marking normally starts with adolescence. Right now he is way to young to even know how to do it.

Chibi
March 13th, 2008, 04:38 PM
We have an appointment with the vet next week, so I will remember to ask him about it then.

coppperbelle
March 13th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Sounds more like a urinary tract infection. Waiting till next week will probably only make the problem worse. Is it possible to get to see the vet sooner?
I have a 4 year old male golden that has never marked in the house. He will when we are outside in the country when he smells another animal has been around but never in the house.